Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • von
    • By von 9th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 512Posts
    • 342Thanks
    von
    Power of Attorney question
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    Power of Attorney question 9th Apr 18 at 9:41 PM
    I have just received the Power of Attorney documents to act on behalf of my Mum but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help me.

I don't know why but I was expecting to one single POA document but I have received all the original application pages back with 'validated' punched out on the bottom of each page, is that correct?

When, for example the Bank or DWP want to see the original POA do I have to send them all the pages?

Last one, for now, when I sign documents on behalf of my Mum e.g. Attendance Allowance claims form or cheques, how do I sign them? E.g. Do I sign her name then mine and write POA after it or do I only sign her name, or only my name. I'm a bit confused.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    I have just received the Power of Attorney documents to act on behalf of my Mum but I'm a bit confused so hope someone can help me.

I don't know why but I was expecting to one single POA document but I have received all the original application pages back with 'validated' punched out on the bottom of each page, is that correct?

When, for example the Bank or DWP want to see the original POA do I have to send them all the pages?

Last one, for now, when I sign documents on behalf of my Mum e.g. Attendance Allowance claims form or cheques, how do I sign them? E.g. Do I sign her name then mine and write POA after it or do I only sign her name, or only my name. I'm a bit confused.
    Originally posted by von
    As far as the bank is concerned you need to make an appointment with the branch and take the POA with you. They can inspect it and take a copy. You will also need two forms of ID such as a driving licence and a recent council tax bill or bank staement. The bank will tell you how to operate the account. Phone the DWP and ask how you deal with them. Under no circumstances send the original to them.
    • sparkiemalarkie
    • By sparkiemalarkie 9th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    sparkiemalarkie
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    I don't think that the DWP will want to see the POA forms.
    Mums payments will continue to go into her designated bank account and you will have access to that account on your mums behalf.
    Is your mum able to sign the application forms for AA for herself? If so then that's fine she can just sign.

Have you received your cheque book yet? Different banks have different formats. I just had to sign my own name and underneath the signature the bank had printed something like POA J Smith.

sparkie
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    I don't think that the DWP will want to see the POA forms.
    Mums payments will continue to go into her designated bank account and you will have access to that account on your mums behalf.
    Is your mum able to sign the application forms for AA for herself? If so then that's fine she can just sign.

Have you received your cheque book yet? Different banks have different formats. I just had to sign my own name and underneath the signature the bank had printed something like POA J Smith.

sparkie
    Originally posted by sparkiemalarkie
    If her mother has lost capacity she can.t sign the DWP forms.the bank will not issue anything until they have seen the POA
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Apr 18, 2:06 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:06 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:06 AM
    For DWP get a job centre to copy & sign the original POA which should be free. You MAY need to make an appointment for this. This way you keep hold of the POA as you may need it elsewhere. With luck the DWP should return this and then you have 2 usable copies. Do not let one copy out of your sight, this is a document that as I see it is more important (difficult to replace) than your passport.
    • troubleinparadise
    • By troubleinparadise 10th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    troubleinparadise
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    Never send off the original POA/LPA to any organisation. As has already been said, get a certified copy and use that.

If you give the original, say perhaps to a bank staff member to copy in branch, check that you’ve received all the pages back - it does happen that a page is left in the copier, and the LPA will be invalidated if any pages are missing.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 10th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    I contacted solicitor and got some certified copies done - these could be sent (all 11 pages) anywhere if needed. The bank opened me a designated account (took v few days ) had its own cheque book and card.
    • kkgree1
    • By kkgree1 11th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    kkgree1
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    Having recently dealt with DWP, they will accept a certified copy (either by yourself or the donor) which you can send to the relevant department. You can also take it to the job centre who will copy it.

Every bank is different but all require you to go in branch with the original or a certified copy along with your ID.

I only sign cheques for my mum-in-law's HSBC account, but I sign as myself then write "Attorney for" in front of her printed name below.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (March 2017) £5,917
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 8,977 Posts
    • 9,863 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    If you want to make a copy, you can either pay someone or write it yourself, or get a stamp that lets you stamp the required wording. I did the latter as i wanted multiple copies and we had 4 POAs, that was nearly 200 pages to manually write on, just signing them was a PITA.

For one copy, just copy it yourself and then write the required phrase which can be found on the government POA website. Its a bit of a mouthful.

As said, never send off the POA and if you take it to someone who wants to copy it, make sure you get every single page back.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 12th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    LLoyds insisted my husband take his dementia, elderly, father IN with him & the POA! Was pointless & quite funny, the old guy fell asleep there.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 8,977 Posts
    • 9,863 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I see no one, including me, answered one of the OPs questions.

OP, the original forms, all 11 pages, once stamped, ARE the POA.

And yes upon reflection it is a bit strange, why isn't there a single summary document stating that Person X is certified as the Attorney for Person Y ?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I see no one, including me, answered one of the OPs questions.

OP, the original forms, all 11 pages, once stamped, ARE the POA.

And yes upon reflection it is a bit strange, why isn't there a single summary document stating that Person X is certified as the Attorney for Person Y ?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Presumably because all the detail needs to be retained so that banks etc. can see exactly what powers the attorney has.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 8,977 Posts
    • 9,863 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I've just had a look at mine, it could be substantially slimmed down to the details the banks need, however i can now understand why they've done it this way.

The reason is, although it masquerades as an online process (if you do it that way), really it isn't, its a paper based exercise, and it would be administratively very difficult to take those paper forms and provide an extract.

At a point when it becomes really online, eg theres no other way to complete the forms, then it would actually be childsplay to provide a summary of the key points as the POA that gets presented to financial institutions, until then it will have to remain as is.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 12th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I've just had a look at mine, it could be substantially slimmed down to the details the banks need, however i can now understand why they've done it this way.

The reason is, although it masquerades as an online process (if you do it that way), really it isn't, its a paper based exercise, and it would be administratively very difficult to take those paper forms and provide an extract.

At a point when it becomes really online, eg theres no other way to complete the forms, then it would actually be childsplay to provide a summary of the key points as the POA that gets presented to financial institutions, until then it will have to remain as is.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Exactly! Designed by bureaucrats for use by bureaucrats!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 8,977 Posts
    • 9,863 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Exactly! Designed by bureaucrats for use by bureaucrats!
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Believe me, i criticise government enough and I spent a long time working with them to know how incompetent they are in general, but given this originated as a paper based system, I think they've done a pretty good job making it possible for ordinary people to complete POAs without professional assistance.

Once i considered the issues, the next step, of producing a slimmed down POA "certificate" would actually be quite a bit more complex than what we have now, and it would force everyone to online-only which no doubt would raise howls of anguish from many, and, the payback wouldn't be that great. Maybe you'd have a 4 page document instead of 11.

They've also got plenty of other places they could spend the money and resources needed to implement that.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    badmemory
    Also bear in mind that there can be more than one (different) of the same page number. Sounds like double Dutch but really isn't!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,715Posts Today

7,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin