Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Giminey Cricket
    • By Giminey Cricket 9th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Giminey Cricket
    Moving to NZ but still paid in the UK
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    Moving to NZ but still paid in the UK 9th Apr 18 at 9:28 PM
    I am currently living in the UK but will soon be relocating to New Zealand for family and health reasons.
    I currently have a regular income paid in the UK which will continue and still be paid within the UK. However, as I will be living in NZ I will need to get the money transferred to a NZ bank account to be able to utilise over there. This will need to occur regularly (income is paid in monthly).
    I am looking for advice on what is the most practical way to do this.
    I have been looking into various options and it looks like a passport type account, where with one bank I have accounts in both countries with the ability to transfer between the two accounts, seems like the most appropriate type of account to open. However, these are generally reserved for high wealth customers (unfortunately that is not me).
    The other options are to use money transfer services or international transfers and try to not do this often to minimise the associated fees.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • morvin777
    • By morvin777 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    morvin777
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    An option would be to open a Starling account put money in and use it abroad. There are no transaction fees and I think no withdrawal charges either. Worth considering something like that.
    • Giminey Cricket
    • By Giminey Cricket 9th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Giminey Cricket
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    Thanks for that advice. I will look into Starling Bank.
    • heathrow
    • By heathrow 12th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    heathrow
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    Thanks for that advice. I will look into Starling Bank.
    Originally posted by Giminey Cricket
    Starling is good for ATM withdrawals and card payments.

To transfer monies to NZ and get a good rate on the conversion from to the NZ dollar look at the usual suspects - Currency Fair, Transferwise and other currency brokers.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    I'm not sure what 'passport type account' means but if the currency conversion is made by a bank you will lose substantially on the exchange rate.

You will no doubt need a New Zealand bank account anyway, then funds can be converted and sent by a suitable service such as TransferWise etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,526Posts Today

8,866Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin