Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diddldonna
    • By diddldonna 9th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 723Thanks
    diddldonna
    Credit Check how far?
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    Credit Check how far? 9th Apr 18 at 9:19 PM
    How far do each credit check go back over? I signed up to two and one goes back further than the other.

Does any more credit check companies go back further in years.
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 3,994 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    information is held on your credit report for 6yrs.

Which 2 have you signed up to?
    There are 3 to check.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    Accounts or searches?

Accounts stay on record for 6 years following closure/settlement.

Searches stay for between 1 and 2 years dependent on the CRA
    • diddldonna
    • By diddldonna 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    diddldonna
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    I have experian and equipifax one has 6 years on and the other 8 years of info on.

Some one stated that they found info on there report going back 15 years? I am looking for an account 11 years back and so was going to try and find it. However from your comments sound like its not possible.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    Are they open accounts or closed?

If they!!!8217;re open then they will be there for more than 6 years.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Apr 18, 2:22 AM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:22 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:22 AM
    Open accounts will show info for the past 6 years.
    Closed accounts will remain on the credit files showing the last 6 years of info up to the date of closure for 6 years from the date of account closure.
    Defaulted accounts will remain on the credit files for 6 years from the date of default.
    Anything else should be gone.
    PS I doubt that you signed up for a credit check. Much more likely you signed up with two Credit Reference Agency's (CRA's) to check your credit files.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 10-04-2018 at 5:10 AM.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 10th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:05 AM
    Open accounts will show info for the past 6 years.

PS I doubt that you signed up for a credit check. Much more likely you signed up with two Credit Reference Agency's (CRA's) to check your credit files.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    The open accounts will also show the age of the account, i.e. when opened, which is maybe where the OP confusion arises. It's the last 6 years activity, so if open, closed, defaulted etc within the last 6 years it will be on there.

OP have you signed up to the actual CRA's? You know there are free versions of the same reports with same data on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,344Posts Today

5,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin