Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Single Dad Still
    • By Single Dad Still 9th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Single Dad Still
    Getting over my ex
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    Getting over my ex 9th Apr 18 at 9:06 PM
    Hi, my first post so please be gentle with me.

So, in a nutshell Iím really struggling to get over the end of my last relationship. We met 9 years ago, were in a relationship for almost 8 which ended in October last year (though in reality it was over a long time before that).

Iím mid 40s, single with 2 great kids. Iíve only had 2 serious relationships in my life - my wife (and kids mum) who passed away 10 years ago and my ex.

I have a decent job I enjoy and my kids to keep me busy but I canít stop thinking about my ex and feeling sad.

So how have other people coped after a break up? What did you do to get over things?

Thanks for any advice.
Page 3
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 15,938 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    hollydays
    I wouldn't bother with that. Most doctors these days barely have 5 minutes to spend with you and in this situation will probably just prescribe an anti-depressant or something similar, and if you have ever read the side effects those things can have I would avoid them like the plague. I remember having some prescribed to me. Took one read of the leaflet inside the pack and threw them out, knowing they would probably be worse for me in the long run, and glad I did.

As for the OP, the post above sums it up...time is the only healer, time is the only thing that will make you feel better. However filling your time with hobbies, friends, your kids, flirting with some new women (possibly more also) will certainly help the time pass by.

My best advice though....DO NOT keep in touch with her! It will do nothing more then prolong the time you feel hurt and upset.
    Originally posted by benten69
    I do not think your experience will necessarily be someone elses
    If someone was diagnosed with diabetes would you advise them not to take their meds because of side effects
    Last edited by hollydays; 15-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    • chiefnoodle
    • By chiefnoodle 15th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    chiefnoodle
    have you tried giving to others you love. e.g. your kids.

I think a lot of people do sthg fun for their kids (or nephews/nieces etc) when they're feeling down, and the act of cheering someone else up and making them happy sort of reflects happiness to you.

Take them to the park and put them on the swings (if thats their age)!
    I haven't made a signature as I don't possess a sense of humour.
    • chiefnoodle
    • By chiefnoodle 15th Apr 18, 12:51 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    chiefnoodle
    or volunteer for something meaningful to you helping other people with something. Say you enjoy maths, maybe the local school would have someone who could do with a little extra help...

just suggestions, not for everyone of course
    I haven't made a signature as I don't possess a sense of humour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,400Posts Today

6,376Users online

Martin's Twitter