Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 9th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,317Posts
    • 25,091Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    0 WOW
    DSLR Camera
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    0 WOW
    DSLR Camera 9th Apr 18 at 8:27 PM
    I currently have (well, I share with someone) a Sony A55 and would like to find a similar camera.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? There's so many that I feel swamped. I have heard good things about Canon, but have always had Sony cameras ...

If possible, something under 500.

Eg - been reading the reviews of the NIKON D3400, but can't make my mind up. Is there anything better than this at this price point ...?
    Last edited by WeAreGhosts; 09-04-2018 at 8:38 PM.
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 14,792 Posts
    • 20,045 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    Sony A68?

No idea how they compare with Canon and Nikon but might be a good bet if you are already familiar with using a Sony.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 10th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    tberry6686
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    Try all the brands in a shop to see which you prefer.

All the major manufacturers make good cameras with very little between them.

Sony - usually cheaper for equivalent specs to canon and Nikon, probably the most advanced sensor technology, electronic viewfinders (many people will tell you that these are not as good as optical, try them and see for yourself. I wouldn't go back to optical now). Not as good as Canon and Nikon in low light but not bad either. Limited third party support in lenses etc (still more than most will ever need). Access to Zeiss lenses.

Canon - The biggest name in the market. Sensor tech seems to be a little outdated compared to Sony and Nikon. Huge range of third party equipment. Can be expensive compared to the Sony cameras. High colour saturation (personally I find the pictures a bit over saturated).

Nikon - No 2 in the market, Uses third party sensors that Nikon tweaks (often they are sony sensors). Huge range of third party equipment. Probably the best for low light levels. Again they are usually more expensive than the equivalent Sony cameras.

I use sony myself as they had a feature that was a must have for me that I could only get from Canon and Nikon at 4 x the price when I purchased. Never regretted my choice but each person will have there own preferences.
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 10th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Fennite
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    Mirrorless cameras such as the Sony A6000 are much more advanced than some entry level DSLRs. Unless you have a stash of lenses already I'd go down the mirrorless route.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 10th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 25,091 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    I did look at some of the mirrorless cameras, but only the ones Currys were stocking. I checked out some reviews, but none of them seemed very favourable in my price bracket.

The Sony A6000 does look good though. I wondered whether I would miss the weight/sturdiness of a DSLR. I haven't held a mirrorless one though, so will have to try it out.
    • lazydave
    • By lazydave 18th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lazydave
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    Worth having a look at Pentax. There!!!8217;s lots of legacy glass available cheap that will Work with new cameras as the mount is the same. As long as you don!!!8217;t mind focussing and setting the aperture yourself. I have had some amazing shots from lenses that cost me 10 on eBay.
    • lazydave
    • By lazydave 18th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lazydave
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    Worth having a look at Pentax. Theres lots of legacy glass available cheap that will Work with new cameras as the mount is the same. As long as you dont mind focussing and setting the aperture yourself. I have had some amazing shots from lenses that cost me 10 on eBay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,469Posts Today

8,203Users online

Martin's Twitter