Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scarlola
    • By scarlola 9th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    scarlola
    Council Tax Discount for Mental Impairment
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    Council Tax Discount for Mental Impairment 9th Apr 18 at 8:14 PM
    I have recently found out you can get a 25% discount on your council tax for disability or mental impairment. I called out local council - Wiltshire - who have told me we aren't eligible as it is our daughter who has a mental impairment and because she is under 18 and there are 2 adults in the house we aren't eligible for the discount. However, if she used a wheelchair at home we would be. I have looked on their website and the documentation doesn't make any reference to age - just the level of DLA that is being claimed. We are claiming middle rate care and high rate mobility. Should I challenge this or aren't we eligible as 2 adults and person with disability is 11.

thank you]
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 7,073 Posts
    • 6,776 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    children under 18 are never liable for CT anyway. That is written in the law so hardly needs saying on the website

The discount is against the liability of the impaired person, your child has zero liability so can't get a discount to start with

that leaves 2 adults in the property so 100% rate of CT as both adults are liable for CT and ineligible for any discounts
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 5,757 Posts
    • 16,602 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    Once she turns 18 you maybe able to reduce your council tax by 50% we have , i get CA for my daughter but because her dad also cares for her even though he works we are both disregarded.
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones thereís a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    CIS
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    As she is under 18 council tax discount & disregards under s11 of the LGFA 1992 such as the SMI and Carers disregard cannot apply in this case as she is not regarded as a resident for council tax purposes.

The disabled band reduction for using a wheelchair indoors, adapted rooms etc is not a discount under s11 of the LGFA 1992 and has it's own rules which can apply to an under 18.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

660Posts Today

8,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin