Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PeteW
    • By PeteW 9th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,169Posts
    • 1,808Thanks
    PeteW
    Repairing cosmetic damage to bodywork
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    Repairing cosmetic damage to bodywork 9th Apr 18 at 7:48 PM
    Unfortunately my wife uses walls as parking sensors, so her car is a bit of a mess. No real damage, just lots and lots of scratches.

You can see some photos of the worst areas here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SIvTV6HsWayYuyhB2

I'd like to tidy this up a bit as frankly it's embarrassing, but this isn't something I've attempted before, so just looking for any tips.

My thinking is to:
    • Sand down the scratched areas to bare metal (or plastic in some areas) with 80 grit on the orbital sander
    • Give it a thin coating of body filler, sand that down with 180
    • Spray with primer, sand that with 800
    • Spray with colour matched paint and lacquer

The bit I'm most concerned about is doing the paint with just an aerosol can, but when I can to paint a welded area on my other car it came out fine.

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Pete
Page 1
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    Silver is one of the hardest colours to get right out of a rattle can, so result will depend on your experience and skill level. It would be difficult to make it look worse so nothing to be lost by giving it a go.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    Thats a large area of damage to use a spray can on. Personally wouldnt want the challenge and headache (and i would say im pretty skilled in body work repairs after many years in the industry), thats a paint the rear bumper, rear door, blend into front door, blend into C pillar. the process is a bit more than what you describe in its prep work too.

sand down, fill dents, mould filler, feather filler into panel, using between 32-180 grit.
    Seal up the bare metal with a sealer primer, wait for this etching primer stage to fully cure out usually 24hours in air temps.
    then 2 coats high build primer, use a guide coat sand back the guide coat to locate and find scratches and dents and low spots to be filled up, fixing those with filler or going back down further on the highbuild till light scratches are out. again seal up the bare metal with sealer primer, then 2 coats highbuild, guide coat and sand back with 240 grit once all deep sanding marks are smoothed out, its time then to prep for paint, i lay on another coat of high build and smooth out with a 400 600 800 grit, then onto laying my base coat, then lacquer.

The amount of cans and paper filler used to attempt a DIY repair on this you may aswell put the cash into a body shop repair. But each to their own.
    Last edited by atrixblue.-MFR-.; 09-04-2018 at 9:58 PM.

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    Thats a large area of damage to use a spray can on. Personally wouldnt want the challenge and headache (and i would say im pretty skilled in body work repairs after many years in the industry), thats a paint the rear bumper, rear door, blend into front door, blend into C pillar. the process is a bit more than what you describe in its prep work too.

sand down, fill dents, mould filler, feather filler into panel, using between 32-180 grit.
    Seal up the bare metal with a sealer primer, wait for this etching primer stage to fully cure out usually 24hours in air temps.
    then 2 coats high build primer, use a guide coat sand back the guide coat to locate and find scratches and dents and low spots to be filled up, fixing those with filler or going back down further on the highbuild till light scratches are out. again seal up the bare metal with sealer primer, then 2 coats highbuild, guide coat and sand back with 240 grit once all deep sanding marks are smoothed out, its time then to prep for paint, i lay on another coat of high build and smooth out with a 400 600 800 grit, then onto laying my base coat, then lacquer.

The amount of cans and paper filler used to attempt a DIY repair on this you may aswell put the cash into a body shop repair. But each to their own.
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    You donít work and havenít for years, working on a trade counter and doing a bit on the side isnít being in the industry.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 10,576 Posts
    • 9,500 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    I think thats a professional repair job..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • PeteW
    • By PeteW 9th Apr 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    PeteW
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:18 PM
    Thanks all. I appreciate it would be best left to the professionals, but it would probably cost more than the car is worth! Plus I quite enjoy these DIY jobs so don't mind putting some time into it. Atrixblue - your process is really useful, thanks.

I think I'll start on one of the smaller areas and see how I do and then decide how to proceed from there.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 10,576 Posts
    • 9,500 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    I have a fine scratch on my car. Its almost like a single point has dragged along for a couple of inches and removed top coat exposing base coat. I have the official two pack touch up kit, i.e paint plus clear laquer. Despite using the finest brush i have, i cant get the paint into the tiny channel of the scratch ! I'm wondering whether to pluck a single bristle from a household paintbrush as thats probably about the width of the scratch and try to use that to infill the channel ??
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Apr 18, 4:53 AM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:53 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:53 AM
    It'll stick out like a sore thumb and will likely look even worse than just leaving the rash as it is.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 18,425 Posts
    • 16,629 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    You appear to be worried about the symptoms. Without addressing the cause, the symptoms will return in short order.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    You don!!!8217;t work and haven!!!8217;t for years, working on a trade counter and doing a bit on the side isn!!!8217;t being in the industry.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I don't splatter my who working career on MSE for common knowledge for everyone. I let people know what I want to let know.

Will admit I haven't worked for years because of disabilities that common knowledge with people on here, but doesn't make my advice any lesser over anyone one else I do and try keep myself updated on current techniques too.

Whats your contribution to the OP's situation?
    Last edited by atrixblue.-MFR-.; 10-04-2018 at 3:56 PM.

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    I have a fine scratch on my car. Its almost like a single point has dragged along for a couple of inches and removed top coat exposing base coat. I have the official two pack touch up kit, i.e paint plus clear laquer. Despite using the finest brush i have, i cant get the paint into the tiny channel of the scratch ! I'm wondering whether to pluck a single bristle from a household paintbrush as thats probably about the width of the scratch and try to use that to infill the channel ??
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Buy a pack of cocktail sticks and use the point of it to dab the paint into the scratch. it's what I used when a fine painters brush was a tad too thick for touching up or fine scratches it works quite well.

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I don't splatter my who working career on MSE for common knowledge for everyone. I let people know what I want to let know.

Will admit I haven't worked for years because of disabilities that common knowledge with people on here, but doesn't make my advice any lesser over anyone one else I do and try keep myself updated on current techniques too.

Whats your contribution to the OP's situation?
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Care to assist the op with your body shop and painting qualifications and experience?

Thought not youíve not lifted a finger for almost a decade and youíre only a young chap.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 10th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Unfortunately my wife uses walls as parking sensors, so her car is a bit of a mess. No real damage, just lots and lots of scratches.

I'd like to tidy this up a bit as frankly it's embarrassing...

Any tips would be gratefully received!
    Originally posted by PeteW
    A new wife perhaps.

Seriously, as AdrianC suggests above, if your wife's parking doesn't improve, then you repairing the existing damage may be a waste of time as she could well scrape the car against a wall the day after you have finished.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

31Posts Today

3,323Users online

Martin's Twitter