Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purplecar17
    • By purplecar17 9th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    purplecar17
    0% credit card advice
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    0% credit card advice 9th Apr 18 at 7:38 PM
    I'm hoping you can advise (wasn't sure if this should come under the credit card section or not with it being about hire purchase and credit cards. Apologies if it's in the wrong place).

My partner bought a TV from Currys on a 'buy now pay in 6 months' interest free plan with the idea of paying it off in full before the 6 month period ended. Unfortunately, his work circumstances unexpectedly changed and he wasn't in a position to do this. The balance has since moved onto the standard interest rate (I believe this to be around 25%) and he is making the monthly payments on this plan.

He wants to move the balance onto a 0% credit card but is unsure if it would need to be a '0% on balance transfers' credit card or a '0% on purchases' credit card. Can someone advise what type of card he would need.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    It wouldn't be a balance transfer one. It would either be a 0% on purchases or 0% on money transfers. I don't have any experience of buy now pay later arrangements, therefore am unsure if a credit card to pay the remaining balance will work.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 25,183 Posts
    • 12,437 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    I would say get a card that has a money transfer option.
    Then transfer sufficient funds off the credit card to the bank account - then pay off Currys.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 9th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    Agreed. Options will be Barclaycard, Virgin Money, MBNA or Tesco.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 4,255 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    eligibility checker here
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?money-transfers&_ga=2.266539022.1273816046.1519928820-1295540533.1519380617

It's never guaranteed though and should only be used as a guideline - some providers have their own checker which would be more accurate.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Apr 18, 2:07 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:07 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:07 AM
    Have his employment circumstances sorted themselves out now? if he is still unemployed or whatever he is unlikely to get a 0% card (or any card at all for that matter).
    A balance transfer card will be of zero use for this purpose.
    A purchases card might possibly do if Currys accept payment of the loan by credit card and will process it as a purchase.
    Otherwise it will have to be a money transfer card.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 7,098 Posts
    • 15,355 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    Money transfer card is what you need.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,866Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin