Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 9th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 574Posts
    • 546Thanks
    Firetastic
    Desktop computers dead
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    Desktop computers dead 9th Apr 18 at 7:26 PM
    I was wondering does anyone still use desktop computers anymore? I sit and type this on my all in one desktop computer. The computer guy I used to use just uses an ipad now and doesn't have any desktop or laptops in his house.

So you think desktop computers will eventually just die off like the dinousaurs did. If not why not and what do you prefer?
Page 2
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 10th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Lorian
    Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated
    I buy lots of desktops still, but they are changing with the times. They are all now the size of a small book, have i5 and i7 processors, nvme disks, 3 monitor outputs, wifi, and use a max of 65w power, and are quite quick.

Inside of course its a high-end laptop chipset and processor with no keyboard or monitor in a tiny metal case. They are a delight to both work with and to maintain. They do command a premium price, but are becoming mainstream.
    Last edited by Lorian; 10-04-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    • john22
    • By john22 10th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    john22
    I just wonder how people manage to type letters on an Ipad and stuff.
    Originally posted by Firetastic
    Well I know I can write emails on them and comment on forums. If it was required I'm sure I could easily manage using word on a iPad. From what I gathered Microsoft did a really good job in developing their software to work with the iPad.

Its all about knowing what you need a computer for and buying what fits your needs.

Apple first started selling them in 2010 and people still buy them. Around 43 million of them just in the last year.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 10th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Firetastic
    I've always had desktops and used them at school and college. Maybe I'm strange but I like sitting at a big screen. I can see everything clearly and it's more comfortable. Each to their own.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    another casualty
    Interesting topic.
    I'm an Apple person. Back in November , I had to get an iMac .
    Why? It is because it is the best way to record music and has lots of ram etc. My Mac mini is too old . Things like iTunes are way out of date. Writing letters, making cv s etc cant really be done on an iPad.

I was weighing everything up, and almost decided against it . I have an iPad/ phone also. I was wondering when an iMac would be touch screen like the iPads . Maybe this is the last iMac I will buy .
    If the iPad did applications such as logic and reason ( which eat up loads of ram) ,and had more features than at present then I wouldn't have needed an iMac .

My guess is that within 6 years , most of us won't need a desktop.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I buy lots of desktops still, but they are changing with the times. They are all now the size of a small book, have i5 and i7 processors, nvme disks, 3 monitor outputs, wifi, and use a max of 65w power, and are quite quick.

Inside of course its a high-end laptop chipset and processor with no keyboard or monitor in a tiny metal case. They are a delight to both work with and to maintain. They do command a premium price, but are becoming mainstream.
    Originally posted by Lorian

Typing this on an core I7 OptiPlex 9020m - lovely bit of kit
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    AndyPix
    It is because it is the best way to record music and has lots of ram etc. .
    Originally posted by another casualty

What makes it better at recording music may I ask ??

(Sent from a micro form factor PC with 32GB RAM)
    • Pauciloquent 1
    • By Pauciloquent 1 10th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Pauciloquent 1
    Yes desktops are getting less popular.

You have a laptop in a bigger case not a desktop.

Will they die off? Not as servers any time soon.

Laptops have small screens. I need 2 24 inch at a minimum. I don't see any 24 inch laptops. But hey I would use one with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse if the price was right.

What is happening is most people have realised they don't need a lot for their needs these days. So maybe a 17 inch laptop does fine.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I reckon you hit the nail on the head there. It doesn't take that much to log in to Facebook, check your bank or do the shopping online at Tesco I suppose.

My desktop's hooked-up to 24 inches and proper (as in amp & speakers) surround sound, with a second connection to 55 inches of OLED for watching whatever whenever.
    I really don't fancy trying to rejuvenate the old family photo's, re-format the old vinyl & cd's or recode videos for the kids (all done legally of course) on a netbook or even a laptop.

Mind you, at least when I'm asked to convert a dvd for one of the grandkids so that they can watch it through a "stick" on a whatever-it-is at least I could say "no" AND save myself some time.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 10th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Geodark
    I dont personally, but the majority of people where I work use desktops. I use a mac here along with a tablet and laptop at home. We do still have a couple of desktops at home which I fire up every now and again, purely because the software I want is installed on there and I haven't had a chance to install it on my laptop yet.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    boliston

I was weighing everything up, and almost decided against it . I have an iPad/ phone also. I was wondering when an iMac would be touch screen like the iPads . Maybe this is the last iMac I will buy .
    If the iPad did applications such as logic and reason ( which eat up loads of ram) ,and had more features than at present then I wouldn't have needed an iMac .

My guess is that within 6 years , most of us won't need a desktop.
    i would have thought using a touch screen imac would be quite awkward as you would need to have it really close unless you have very long arms - the main advantage of a large screen for me is a comfortable viewing distance - a laptop viewing distance is too close to use my distance vision glasses and too far to read without glasses
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 10th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7,343 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    KxMx
    I think for general home yes they are dying.

I know when current desktop goes it'll be replaced with the most decent laptop i can afford.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    datostar
    I just wonder how people manage to type letters on an Ipad and stuff.
    Originally posted by Firetastic
    Bluetooth keyboard or the well-heeled get an iPad Pro with the magnetic connection keyboard integral with a folding case.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    another casualty
    What makes it better at recording music may I ask ??

(Sent from a micro form factor PC with 32GB RAM)
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I use a program called Reason which is Apple only as far as I'm aware.I t uses a lot of ram .I plug an audio interface into it plus external speakers.
    This makes it better than a laptop to record imho. Horses for courses etc .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    another casualty
    i would have thought using a touch screen imac would be quite awkward as you would need to have it really close unless you have very long arms - the main advantage of a large screen for me is a comfortable viewing distance - a laptop viewing distance is too close to use my distance vision glasses and too far to read without glasses
    Originally posted by boliston
    Good point . Probably why iMacs are still about
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I use a program called Reason which is Apple only as far as I'm aware.

Nope - always been available for windows too

https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason9/
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    another casualty
    Nope - always been available for windows too

https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason9/
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Wow! Didn't know that
    • googler
    • By googler 17th Apr 18, 3:35 PM
    • 14,722 Posts
    • 9,659 Thanks
    googler
    Maintenance and separation of components are also key for me.

If an internal component in my desktop fails (power supply, HDD etc) I can whip it out and change it far easier than any laptop or tablet

If the monitor fails, I don't need to touch the base unit when replacing it. Likewise keyboard or mouse.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    In fairness, the screens rarely go on laptops (unless you drop them).

the most common things that pack up on them are the hard drives, the power supplies (sometimes pin), the keyboard and sometimes the touchpad. Everything else is pretty much solid.

When the board dies the laptop is effectively scrap anyway. Sometimes they die for specific reasons - spillage is usually the main one. Had one occasion where somebody admitted their dog had a wee on the laptop and then wondered if it was salvageable. I said no but I really wanted to ask if they meant the laptop or the dog
    • newatc
    • By newatc 17th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    newatc
    I use both a desktop and laptop, they are both several years old. I think if I had to give one up it would be the desktop as the laptop's mobility is a massive plus but the desktop seems to perform better than the laptop, has far less problems and for some things (such as my hobby which is betting on horses) it is far better.
    So I suppose it comes down to usage and preference but I think desktops will be around for a while yet (though I did love an Apple IPAD add in which a mother tells her IPAD playing young son to "knock that computer off" and he responds with "What's a computer").
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8,077 Posts
    • 5,841 Thanks
    esuhl
    I hate using laptops -- they're just not comfortable. Desktops are so much more ergonomic: you typically have a larger monitor, full-sized keyboard and mouse, and you can use whatever peripherals you like, and adjust them in ways that aren't possible with a laptop.

High-spec laptops are particularly expensive, compared to desktops. And desktops are easier to repair and upgrade. Over time, I've upgraded the video card, installed a PCIe SSD, and doubled the RAM from 6GB to 12GB.

Spill a drink on the keyboard, and I can just replace the keyboard. :-)

My desktop PC will be TEN YEARS OLD this November! And it's still incredibly fast. I can't see any reason I'd need to upgrade in the next few years, and when I do I'll only need a motherboard, CPU and RAM, so it will be cheaper than a new PC.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    coffeehound
    The only problem I have with using a 13.3" screen laptop is that the keyboard doesn't have all the keys of a larger laptop.

So you have to use combinations of keys for essential things like Home, End, Page-Up, Page-Down, and the Function keys. Very frustrating

Other than that, I don't need anything bigger for home use. Couldn't live with anything smaller either. Posting on the forum from an iPhone is possible but very tedious...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,107Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin