Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simon2018
    • By simon2018 9th Apr 18, 7:18 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 29Thanks
    simon2018
    Private and confidential papers
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:18 PM
    Private and confidential papers 9th Apr 18 at 7:18 PM
    I've been off sick from work because of my manager.

I had a sickness review last week.

My manager, she always ignored me and talks through the three other staff about 70/80% of the time
    unless I'm the only other person there.

On Friday, one of my colleagues rang me to say that the manager had sent my sickness review
    to him and he had to print it off and leave one copy in my
    'in tray,' and post the other. I have not received the sickness review as yet

The colleague that printed off the sickness review is on the same grade as I am, and not my supervisor/manager etc but a fellow work colleague.

The sickness review details my personal details and sickness diagnoses.

I feel even worse now that other people that have no right to know about my sickness details, address, Dob, etc, etc may be aware of it. The manager could have easily don it herself as she is back at work tomorrow. Even if she was not at work, the route she used to have my details printed/etc breaches my privacy/confiedentialty.

I want her sacked.

Where do I stand?

FYI - the company is a big company and has several thousand staff but I', in one of their satellite offices.

Thanks

ps - the same manager that left my personal details lying around a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by simon2018; 09-04-2018 at 7:20 PM.
Page 2
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 10th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 19,251 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I'm not so sure. What I read (possibly) is that the OP had a previous grievance against the mgr for confidentiality which wasn't upheld because it was one person's word against another's. The manager (sex irrelevant - it may be that the OP is just disguising details) has now been stupid enough to breach confid again (possibly...) and this time the OP has proof. Is that how it is, OP?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I'm not so sure. What I read (possibly) is that the OP had a previous grievance against the mgr for confidentiality which wasn't upheld because it was one person's word against another's. The manager (sex irrelevant - it may be that the OP is just disguising details) has now been stupid enough to breach confid again (possibly...) and this time the OP has proof. Is that how it is, OP?
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    I read it that way too but OP also appears to have some other significant issues that aren't going to help the cause.

Having been in a situation where I believed my boss was directly responsible for my 'sickness' I finally took time-out with GP's support and company medical insurance paid for counselling. It made me realise my own shortcomings/issues and how to manage my feelings before finally returning to the same job/Manager and being able to play the game in a better way.

My suspiscion is that OP has significantly less service and is in no position to be making significant demands - any breaches proved aren't likely to deliver what they're looking for
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 9,030 Posts
    • 6,752 Thanks
    pmduk
    Sadly, the OP seems obsessive, I wonder if we're just feeding that unhealthy obsession.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry, couldn't read and run
    I had a similar problem with a boss in my previous job.
    I won't go into too much detail ,but because of the recession in 2008 and after a few temp contracts I had to take the job offered to me permanently . There was nothing out there and I had mortgage and debts to pay etc. It was a job riddled with internal politics ,tension and problems.

What happened to me was: I had a few appointments with a dermatolgist fo a flare up of psoriasis . Fair enough. I made sure I let my boss know at every opportunity. There was one time I was asked by the hospital to change from an afternoon to a morning. I asked my boss. She was fine with it . However, because my 2 faced colleague went behind my back and complained to her, the following happened .. she come into my office and shouted at me criticising my appointments in front of my other colleague . I was shocked.
    Upon walking around the offices doing my job( postal clerk) I noticed a yellow post it note on top of a file on the desk of a nice lady who is a personnel assistant. It said" I warned another casualty about his appointments etc.."
    So, next morning I went to see my boss and shouted at her. She had no right on earth to do that . I then went to personnel and asked if that "warning" on a post it note would be on my file . "No it won't ",i was told . I noticed the following morning the two of them were in a meeting room . Maybe personnel advised my boss she was wrong.
    These were n h s appointments btw . Not just any dermatologist .
    After all that, my advise is to leave and move on .
    Last edited by another casualty; 10-04-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 10th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I want to leave, ready to leave but my dad said to me if you "run once, you keep on running,"
    This stood out for me. I think your dad is wrong, in this instance. I think better advise is probably "pick your battles" - decide what you personally (not your dad, not random people on the internet) think is worth fighting for, and how much of your life you are willing to spend in a job which makes yup unhappy, in order to prove a point.

Id this your 'hill to die on'? Being prepared to stand up for yourself and for your principles is a good thing, but so is knowing when to cut your losses.

If you want to leave, then put your energies into finding a new job so you can leave. and if you want, let your current employer know, in an exit interview, why you left.

in the mean time, if you want to raise a grievance about how your boss treats you, do that, and keep job hunting in the mean time.

failing to ensure that private information was handled sensitively is something which you can ca validly complain about, but it is not, in itself, something which is going to get your boss sacked.

In your position, it may be worth you speaking to HR, explaining that the behaviour you previously complained of stopped for a while but then re-started, and that you would now like move to a different team so you and your boss are no longer working together, and ask whether that is still possible.

If they agree, then even if it mean a longer commute in the short term, it should mean that you are better in terms of your mental health, and if you do then go ahead and look for a new job, you are likely to do better in interviews if you are not sick.
    • simon2018
    • By simon2018 10th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    simon2018
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician

Thanks all.

Yes it is like that but this time I have a lot of notes against her that are dated and timed along with who was present.

I have worked all of my life, been there for less that two years and the manager has been with the company I think for about 10/12 years.

I have never been unemployed and love this job as it close to home, and I meet nice people trough it and pay is good.

I did have a word with my manager, one to one several months ago and she said it was all in
    my mind and laughed it off. She is freinds with the other mangers.

Been thinking today and had help from dad to write up a concise complaint with times and dates. Spoke to HR, new lady, sounded helpful and they have offered to come and see me at home as the HQ is far away.

I don't think they will sack her, but a step in the right direction

I spoke with ACAS and have more knwoldge re DPA and this was another clear breach of my
    personal and sensitive information shared with a workmate that had no right to have it shared with. There is an electroic trail and thankfully I have a copy

I'm not leaving as yet and plan to return to work after a meeting with HR, a few days after that..
    A mediation meeting was suggested and I told HR they way she laughed when I tried last time.

I think some of the comments here on this thread are by people that have never worked and live off the dole, hence not having to face workplace bullies. If she was a bloke, I would have smashed her face by now. In all my years I've never hit anyone first, and walked away from a fight, but I am a very capable bloke as Judo is my sport. Having said that, I don't think I'd it her if she was a man as I would lose out and this is what she wants.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 10th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    nicechap

I think some of the comments here on this thread are by people that have never worked and live off the dole, hence not having to face workplace bullies. If she was a bloke, I would have smashed her face by now. In all my years I've never hit anyone first, and walked away from a fight, but I am a very capable bloke as Judo is my sport. Having said that, I don't think I'd it her if she was a man as I would lose out and this is what she wants.
    Originally posted by simon2018

Dear o dear, more monsters & conspiracies from your own imagination. Unvented aggression too.

You need to sort out your view of the world if you are ever to be a valuable employee.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 7,146 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    1. Stop listening to your dad, he's from the 1970s
    2. Get yourself some interpersonal skills training

26 years work experience. Worked for bullies. You can't change them, you can only change you and hope they respond better!
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I have worked all of my life, been there for less that two years and the manager has been with the company I think for about 10/12 years.
    Expect to be sacked in the near future.

This strongly suggests the problem is with you.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Expect to be sacked in the near future.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    I'd put money on it

This strongly suggests the problem is with you.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    There's no 'strong suggestion' about it - OP you're a liability and your Dad's suggestions aren't helping. Get out and get some help.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Apr 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    steampowered
    You are not in the playground any more.

In the real world some people are unpleasant or nasty or incompetent. Dealing with difficult people sometimes is just a fact of life I'm afraid.

You simply have to deal with it and get on with the job. Or if you can't or don't want to deal with it, resign and find another job.

Stewing over the situation is the worst possible approach.

The best way to get this manager sacked is just to leave. If he/she can't retain their staff, he/she won't last very long.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 9,030 Posts
    • 6,752 Thanks
    pmduk
    I think some of the comments here on this thread are by people that have never worked and live off the dole, hence not having to face workplace bullies.
    I can hear echoes of your Dad in this comment, but why are you posting on here anyway? You're using the yes, but objection in order to maintain your current stance in the face of every suggestion.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 7,229 Thanks
    Smodlet
    OP, you seem to have learned as little from Judo as you have from employment. I find it a wonder you still have access to either.

http://www.corejudo.co.uk/home/about-core-judo
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    John-K
    T

You sound, from this, as though you have anger management problems. Normal people do not smash colleagues faces in for disagreements in the office.

I wonder if your issues are clear to others, and if this is at the root of your issues.

With your short time in the job you have very few rights, I suspect you may well find yourself out on your ear if you go down this route. If you are not careful, it could come with a bad reference too.

Tread carefully here.

Oh, and edited to add, no, I!!!8217;m not on the dole.
    Last edited by John-K; 10-04-2018 at 8:41 PM.
    • batg
    • By batg 10th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    batg
    OP
    regardless, you have been there for less than 2 years, so they need can get rid of you for whatever reason they want. There doesn't really even need to be a reason. You could go back in and be put on your week/month's notice and there is nothing you can do about it. Your big bundle of incidences will make no difference.
    Start looking for another job immediately before they get rid of you because you are causing hassle for them.
    afferent pupillary defect
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4,018 Posts
    • 10,182 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Well in my case your as wrong as you could possibly be.

Got sacked because the boss was on a ego trip, spent 5 months on the dole (which wasn't fun when you've got debt) & then took the only permanent job I was offered. Boss there was a nightmare but stayed 5 years in the end.

I'm hoping that you used the phrase you did about hitting her as a figure of speech as it really doesn't put you in a good light
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 7,229 Thanks
    Smodlet
    "Never hit anyone first". I don't think there is anything figurative about the OP's attitude. The only wonder is why he is still employed at all. Judo is supposed to teach self control and self respect before self defence. Attacking anyone is not part of its ethos.

He whines about being bullied by a woman and his only answer is to wish to hit her. Only a pathetic inadequate contemplates using violence to make his point. The fact he can contemplate hitting a woman tells me far more than I want to know about his utter lack of anything resembling a moral compass.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • simon2018
    • By simon2018 10th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    simon2018
    Well in my case your as wrong as you could possibly be.

Got sacked because the boss was on a ego trip, spent 5 months on the dole (which wasn't fun when you've got debt) & then took the only permanent job I was offered. Boss there was a nightmare but stayed 5 years in the end.

I'm hoping that you used the phrase you did about hitting her as a figure of speech as it really doesn't put you in a good light
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Yes, I was angry. I wish she gets what she dishes out. If I get no joy with HR, I'll be out and have started looking for another job but won't leave before I do get another job.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    The gender of this manager keeps changing, has anyone else noticed?
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Maybe they like to be seen as gender neutral or change gender to suit the day they are having.

More power to the gender changers i say...

Unless its a Geezer bird...swigs pints and has a fag hanging out of the mouth while flashing the builders bum trying to put Pint down so they can relieve themselves against a wall Full Monty urinal style.

Failing that if the OP is still unsure if the person is a male or female he could do a Crocodile Dundee and grab handful...whilst shouting ""That's not a shelia"...ok so probably get arrested for sexual assault but im sure would brighten a dreary wednesday....
    Last edited by Samsung_Note2; 10-04-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    nicechap
    Yes, I was angry. I wish she gets what she dishes out. If I get no joy with HR, I'll be out and have started looking for another job but won't leave before I do get another job.
    i suspect you may not get that luxury based on your attitude to date.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,942Posts Today

8,388Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin