Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JarrodM14
    • By JarrodM14 9th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JarrodM14
    Missold a House - Advice Please
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    Missold a House - Advice Please 9th Apr 18 at 6:34 PM
    Hi All,

Just hoping someone can help me before I speak to the Regional Director of the builder.

We purchased a new build property and moved in November. We were shown all the plans and all was fine, there is no pedestrian pavement so street lights were to go in a communal piece of shrubbery across the road.

This week contractors have dug up the road and put a lamppost in right outside my house (on the road but that is an issue for another day!) which now blocks me from reversing off my drive.

I have questioned this with the builder and they have said its the responsibility of the planning department. I have checked the original planning permission and the lamppost is correct to be where it is. In essence when we purchased the property we were shown the wrong plans, we wouldnt have purchased it if we knew the post would be there blocking me reversing off the drive. The salesperson has said that the planning reference will all be tracked on my application so they will be able to see I was shown the wrong plans, but I am best off speaking to the regional director as it is above her paygrade.

Can anyone give me some advice before I speak to them?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    Are you saying you can get onto the drive but then can't reverse off it? Can't quite picture how that one works - you might need to explain more clearly.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • JarrodM14
    • By JarrodM14 9th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JarrodM14
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    I can get on to it and can reverse on to it but if I pull on forward I cant swing my car round enough to reverse.

Cheers
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 4,418 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    if you can go on forwards you can go off backwards, I don't follow the logic
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    If you reverse on, don't you just drive back out the same way you got it? I think I'm missing something here.
    ETA or are you saying you want to be able to swing the car either way to get out, but are now limited to just one direction?
    Last edited by elsien; 09-04-2018 at 6:51 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 6,269 Posts
    • 5,786 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    I can get on to it and can reverse on to it but if I pull on forward I cant swing my car round enough to reverse.

Cheers
    Originally posted by JarrodM14
    you mean you simply have not got used to the required manoeuvre yet. I have a lamp post opposite my driveway, it's over 10 years ago that I last hit it when reversing out

"miss-sold" - the most over used and inappropriate word in the dictionary
    Last edited by 00ec25; 09-04-2018 at 7:23 PM.
    • JarrodM14
    • By JarrodM14 9th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JarrodM14
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    The whole not reversing probably isnt relevant. The point is when I purchased the house I didnt have a lamp post in front of my living room, now all of a sudden the plans have changed and I do.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    My house has been where it is since 1960. Three years ago, a street lamp was installed right outside my house. Street lights have to go somewhere.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    I do not know much about this but I would say that the lamp post is on public land not owned by you and it is not affecting you getting on and off your drive - there is no obstruction. When I bought my house there were no plans for a new estate down my road and now they are building 2000 houses.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    HampshireH
    How close is this post?

Does it cause a nuisance at night i.e. lighting up a bedroom? This may get you further than the driveway issue. At the end of the day the builders still proceeded with the design of your property despite knowing a post would be situated there so some consideration must have been given to it regarding access to the driveway.

You say it's in the road? That sounds odd. A diagram may help people understand your predicament
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Apr 18, 7:05 PM
    • 43,847 Posts
    • 51,841 Thanks
    G_M
    The manouvering issue is a red herring.

The question is, if, as you say, the lamp post is in the right place, why did you not notice when you looked at the Local Authority plans?
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Apr 18, 7:06 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    ProDave

Cheers
    So the solution is simple. Park by reversing ONTO the drive so you exit forwards. So much safer and always my prefered method of parking.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 31,463 Posts
    • 19,869 Thanks
    DCFC79
    So the solution is simple. Park by reversing ONTO the drive so you exit forwards. So much safer and always my prefered method of parking.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    I try and do this all the time now, its much safer yet many people dont do it whether parking in a car park or on a drive.

OP see if you can get a diagram and post it on here or a screenshot and mark the lampost etc.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    comeandgo
    A lamp outside one of my bedrooms shone in, even through curtains. There are total black out blinds which I now have, so council will not move lamppost due to light interference. I think your salesperson was waffling. In the small print with developers there is usually a get out clause saying there may be small changes, which this is.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 17,213 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I have questioned this with the builder and they have said its the responsibility of the planning department. I have checked the original planning permission and the lamppost is correct to be where it is. In essence when we purchased the property we were shown the wrong plans, we wouldnt have purchased it if we knew the post would be there ... The salesperson has said that the planning reference will all be tracked on my application so they will be able to see I was shown the wrong plans
    So the lamp post's position was shown on the definitive plan, the one that the LA agreed when granting PP, but was omitted off the indicative one you used to select your plot.

Were any lamp posts shown on that? Did it carry any caveats about scaling, accuracy or completeness?

Did you review the PP plans with your solicitor?
    Did you select your solicitor from the developer's "recommendation", or did you get one who was independent from them?
    • JarrodM14
    • By JarrodM14 9th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JarrodM14
    Trying to post a link to a picture but I am too new to the forum, is there a way around this?

I didnt look at the local authority plans until after the lamp post was erected.

AdrianC - Exactly, the plans we selected our plot off had the lamp posts in a planter on the other side of the road.

We didn't review PP plans, unfortunately we did use the developers recommendation.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 43,847 Posts
    • 51,841 Thanks
    G_M

I didnt look at the local authority plans until after the lamp post was erected.

AdrianC - Exactly, the plans we selected our plot off had the lamp posts in a planter on the other side of the road.

We didn't review PP plans, unfortunately we did use the developers recommendation.
    Caveat emptor.

The definitive plans were there to look at if you chose.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 17,213 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There y'go, then.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 9th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 24,803 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    The developer's plans always look like a tweenager has been let loose with a packet of felt tips - all colourful and arty-farty. The actual planning department plans are the ones to look at.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 31,463 Posts
    • 19,869 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Trying to post a link to a picture but I am too new to the forum, is there a way around this?

You can post the link but put a space in the link somewhere.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin