Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dave2k
    • By dave2k 9th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dave2k
    Britannia Parking chasing me even when I have proof of payment
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    Britannia Parking chasing me even when I have proof of payment 9th Apr 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hi,

I read the FAQs but I don't see my situation highlighted there. Sorry if it has already been asked before.

I got a fine when my ticket blew off the dash in the wind, and I found it on the floor. I made an appeal and sent a copy of my ticket to Britannia Parking, letting them know that I paid with my credit card and I can provide that as proof that I paid if they would like.

When they replied today saying they have dropped the fee to 20 as a "gesture of goodwill" (seriously, this is incredibly annoying), I sent them a copy of my credit card statement showing the line where they had charged my credit card. The date and amount line up with what is is on the ticket. Despite this, they are insisting I pay because I breached the contract (I didn't show the ticket clearly).

Anyone have any advice here? It is so obviously unfair that I be made to pay a single penny, when I have provided clear evidence I paid in the first place!!!
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 61,501 Posts
    • 74,382 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    Appeal to POPLA as the NEWBIES thread tells you to. POPLA templates are there.

DO NOT WRITE WHAT YOU WROTE IN APPEAL, IT WAS DOOMED AND IS DOOMED AT POPLA.

You made a huge mistake by blabbing about who was driving, awful decision. You threw away the 100% winning appeal point a registered keeper has, to win at POPLA.

Never mind, read the NEWBIES thread, see what you should have done (for next time you are scammed by this rogue industry!) and how to appeal to POPLA properly, not talking about a permit falling down.

No-one pays Britannia, not even 20. They are tame, not litigious, so no worries even if you now lose at POPLA due to (very common mistake) blabbing about who parked the car.

Should have come here earlier but no worries, you are lucky it's only Britannia.

You do know where the NEWBIES thread is, 2 clicks back.

See my signature below (please don't ask for a link).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 9th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 3,929 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    You had what we call a "fluttering ticket ". Search on here for other fluttering ticket threads. There's a recent one by claxtome but you need to find and read more than one to get the gist.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 9,995 Posts
    • 9,811 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    If this got to court, it is most unlikely that the PPC would have a hope. Fluttering tickets are a trifle, and the law does not concern itself with trifles. Google de minimus.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • dave2k
    • By dave2k 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dave2k
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    The consensus seems to be to not pay up, which suits me fine.

It's slightly annoying, seeing as I am moving to Spain for 6 months very soon, so it will be slightly stressful not knowing what is arriving in the post!
    • Grimble
    • By Grimble 9th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Grimble
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    This is not rocket science, give them your new address in Spain, from Post Office with proof of postage.
    • dave2k
    • By dave2k 9th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dave2k
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    Thanks for your valuable input.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 61,501 Posts
    • 74,382 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    The consensus seems to be to not pay up, which suits me fine.

It's slightly annoying, seeing as I am moving to Spain for 6 months very soon, so it will be slightly stressful not knowing what is arriving in the post!
    Originally posted by dave2k
    That's why you are best trying to kill this within weeks, with a LOOONNGG POPLA appeal!

If you don't win at POPLA, you then write to Britannia afterwards and give them your address in Spain, pointing out that this is a permanent domicile and of course, out of the jurisdiction of the English courts!

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 9th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 10,552 Posts
    • 9,903 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    And don't pay if POPLA turn down your appeal, as I fear the current POPLA adjudicators may very well do. Just come back here for further help.
    • dave2k
    • By dave2k 9th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dave2k
    That's why you are best trying to kill this within weeks, with a LOOONNGG POPLA appeal!

If you don't win at POPLA, you then write to Britannia afterwards and give them your address in Spain, pointing out that this is a permanent domicile and of course, out of the jurisdiction of the English courts!

Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks everyone for your help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,485Posts Today

7,966Users online

Martin's Twitter