Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joed72
    • By joed72 9th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 5Thanks
    joed72
    Home Buyers Survey
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    Home Buyers Survey 9th Apr 18 at 5:07 PM
    We have had the valuation through on a house we're purchasing, valuation was fine and mortgage is now approved.

There are a couple of things in the Home Buyers Report that are listed in the most serious category of 'Defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently'

1. A large hole had been cut into the timber purlin to allow for access when installing the boiler flue. The plywood panel forms part of the structure and is not designed to be cut. 'This does not appear to have led to any structural issues but is not satisfactory'. This could be made good by way of fixing a new panel over the opening which is suitably secured to the existing ply by the side of the hole. (The report than mentions structural engineer to design a solution based on structural solutions but this would be costly, A good quality patch repair should suffice.

2. Fuseboard and other visible sections of the electrical installation are of an older design. It is recommended that you have the electrical system checked by a qualified electrician prior to purchase.

There a number of less serious repairs needed which we'll be carrying out but with the more 'serious' ones listed would this be something we could negotiate with the vendor or would that not be recommended?
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 9th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    We have had the valuation through on a house we're purchasing, valuation was fine and mortgage is now approved.

There are a couple of things in the Home Buyers Report that are listed in the most serious category of 'Defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently'

1. A large hole had been cut into the timber purlin to allow for access when installing the boiler flue. The plywood panel forms part of the structure and is not designed to be cut. 'This does not appear to have led to any structural issues but is not satisfactory'. This could be made good by way of fixing a new panel over the opening which is suitably secured to the existing ply by the side of the hole. (The report than mentions structural engineer to design a solution based on structural solutions but this would be costly, A good quality patch repair should suffice.

2. Fuseboard and other visible sections of the electrical installation are of an older design. It is recommended that you have the electrical system checked by a qualified electrician prior to purchase.

There a number of less serious repairs needed which we'll be carrying out but with the more 'serious' ones listed would this be something we could negotiate with the vendor or would that not be recommended?
    Originally posted by joed72
    Number 2 is standard on almost any survey, because electrical regs change almost every alternate day.

Whether you negotiate on the purchase depends on how strong a position you are in, but on the face of it, the survey results are better than most and easily remediated if you wanted to.

I think very few people expect to move into a "new" house and have nothing to fix.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 7,483 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    A purlin forms part of the support for the roof; that would concern me if a bloody great hole has been cut into it. Strongly recommend you sweet talk a builder or a roofer into looking at it. Try to find one through word of mouth, not the yellow pages.

As far as the electrics are concerned, something installed in a new build in December last year probably does not conform to current regs because I believe they were changed (yet again) in January having said which, "older design" would give me pause. Is there any way you could post a picture of the electric board on here?

There is older and older, if you get me. Some older is fine; the "older" in this house when we moved in made me wonder how it had not burnt down. You better believe we rewired. Again, try to find an electrician recommended by someone you trust to take a look for free rather than paying 150 or so for a report to tell you you need a rewire. Five minutes is not worth 150.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • joed72
    • By joed72 10th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    joed72
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    Thanks, I guessed the electrics would be one of the things that came up but was surprised that they had cut through the purlin when installing the boiler flue!

I don't want to risk the sale falling through if we are seen to be delaying by asking for builders to look at the purlin/flue scenario so I'm not sure what to do about this - either we just go ahead with the sale and sort it ourselves or get a price and ask for the vendor to negotiate based on the price of remedial work.

What would anyone recommend?
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 11th Apr 18, 3:48 AM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:48 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:48 AM
    Get it looked at and a quote to fix. If it's hundreds just get on with purchase and fix yourself. If it's thousands I'd renegotiate price.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 7,556 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    He has suggested a structural engineer because someone has cut a large hole into part of the structure that is holding the roof up. This means that the structure of the roof is compromised. Depending on where the hole is might depend on how much it costs to repair. You might want to get it checked out before you buy the house in case it is going to be an expensive repair.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 45,521 Posts
    • 54,665 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    A large hole had been cut into the timber purlin to allow for access when installing the boiler flue. The plywood panel forms part of the structure and is not designed to be cut. 'This does not appear to have led to any structural issues but is not satisfactory'.
    I can't believe that plywood can be supporting anything structural. This is borne out by the subsequent statement that "does not appear to have led to any structural issues".

So I would not worry about this unless what has been cut is actually part of the timber (which might well be structural or weight-supporting).
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 11th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    I might be more concerned about a potential fire risk of a potentially hot boiler flue in close contact with a wooden roof structure.
    Depends how well the flue pipe is insulated. I would be getting that checked out as well.
    • loveka
    • By loveka 11th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    loveka
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    Get an electricity safety check though! It's only 100 and takes a few hours, so won't delay things.

We didn't have one and it cost us 7k to put the electrics right...

The house we are buying now has a brand new consumer unit. However when the electrician went in he found it was so dangerous he turned off the electric! So it now has to be repaired at the current owners expense as he can't complete the test without the repair. And they have no electricity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin