Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gcoopermax
    • By gcoopermax 9th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 13Thanks
    gcoopermax
    Average credit score in area important for house search?
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    Average credit score in area important for house search? 9th Apr 18 at 4:40 PM
    Hi,

There are websites like https://www.checkmyfile.com/postcode-check.htm show approximate average score for any post code by compiling information from insolvency records, court judgments etc. I was wondering how many people care for this when they are deciding on their property, given that information compiled from such indirect sources may not be very accurate because the actual information from credit files of the people is not accessed while calculating the average score, only indirect information available from government sources is used.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 9th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    Since credit scores are made up numbers that no one else can see, the average number for an area is meaningless.
    • gcoopermax
    • By gcoopermax 9th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    gcoopermax
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    Since credit scores are made up numbers that no one else can see, the average number for an area is meaningless.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Yes I do subscribe to the notion that credit score as a generalised quantification of one's creditworthiness may not be very relevant because every lender has a different criteria, however qualitatively, someone having say 950+/1000 score would of course must have been managing his credit and finances a lot better than someone with 500/1000. And average score, though not pulled up from the "calculated" scores of Experian etc, do take into account court judgments etc and may be interpreted as a reflection of creditworthiness of people in that area. Hence I was wondering if people put any importance on checking this.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 9th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    You won't find anyone who'll say "well, I WOULD have bought it, except the area's average credit score was too low".

You will find people who'll use it as one more data point feeding into their overall feeling about the area.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 7,218 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    I really don't understand the OP. Does living next door to someone with a less than perfect credit score have any impact on you? Maybe don't lend them your lawnmower; they might flog it on e-bay.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • gcoopermax
    • By gcoopermax 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    gcoopermax
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    I really don't understand the OP. Does living next door to someone with a less than perfect credit score have any impact on you? Maybe don't lend them your lawnmower; they might flog it on e-bay.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    What I want from MY neighbours is for them to be nice and friendly and I couldn't care less about their creditworthiness. But this question was purely from point of view of an owner (i.e. I if I buy this house) who wants to sell this property and whether the potential buyers would use this criteria :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,268Posts Today

7,982Users online

Martin's Twitter