Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Telhearne
    • By Telhearne 9th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Telhearne
    Gas and Electric Switch
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    Gas and Electric Switch 9th Apr 18 at 3:33 PM
    Hi All,

My current deal ends at the end of May with a £60 exit fee.

I would like to switch but I obviously don't want to pay the fee. If I sign up to another provider now can I tell them to delay the switch?

Thanks
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 9th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    From USwitch:

In accordance with Ofgem regulations, suppliers must send you notice about your plan's upcoming end date 42 - 49 days before the end of your plan . This allows time to find and switch to a new plan before you're rolled on to your supplier's "standard" plan, which is often much more expensive.

Once you receive this letter, you are free to switch without penalty, even if the plan carries early exit fees (cancellation fees).
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    Provided your old supplier is informed, via industry procedures, that a transfer is in progress no later than the end of contract date plus 20 days, you have price protection. That is, you remain on your present tariff until the transfer goes through.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    I tried to enforce this with nPower a year ago, but they acted dumb.

They did however give me a good will payment, which was worth more to me.
    • woodentom
    • By woodentom 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    woodentom
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    i asked this a while ago. so i can save 25% by switching for a 1st may renewal and my current providers letter says £30 exit fee per fuel but last year there was no mention of this

if i switch now ready for 1st may will they charge me £60 and then i have to fight them for that back?

what actually happens?

thanks
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    i asked this a while ago. so i can save 25% by switching for a 1st may renewal and my current providers letter says £30 exit fee per fuel but last year there was no mention of this

if i switch now ready for 1st may will they charge me £60 and then i have to fight them for that back?

what actually happens?

thanks
    Originally posted by woodentom
    If you initiate a transfer once you have received the 49/42 day notification then the Supply Licence prevents the supplier from charging an exit fee. If they do, then raise a written complaint.

How have you calculated a 25% saving when energy prices have increased?
    • woodentom
    • By woodentom 10th Apr 18, 9:19 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    woodentom
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:19 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:19 AM
    If you initiate a transfer once you have received the 49/42 day notification then the Supply Licence prevents the supplier from charging an exit fee. If they do, then raise a written complaint.

How have you calculated a 25% saving when energy prices have increased?
    Originally posted by Hengus
    thanks for the clarification. I just went to uswitch, typed in all my figures and it stated EON would be over £230 cheaper than the new tariff offered by my current provider.

i tried the readings from the latest bill and the current annual costings and both times the EON quote was a lot less

i have not done this before so if i am missing something please let me know
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    thanks for the clarification. I just went to uswitch, typed in all my figures and it stated EON would be over £230 cheaper than the new tariff offered by my current provider.

i tried the readings from the latest bill and the current annual costings and both times the EON quote was a lot less

i have not done this before so if i am missing something please let me know
    It is not that simple. PCWs use an Ofgem- approved inflated cost methodology based on a rolling 12 month cost projection. For a consumer on a fixed tariff with 2 months to run, the cost going forward is based on 2 months on present fixed tariff plus 10 months on the supplier's SVT. It is therefore possible to choose a new tariff which appears to show a saving but one which actually costs you more.

In my view, you are better off using the tool in MSE Cheap Energy Club which compares 12 months on your present tariff against 12 months on a list of tariffs with the cheapest first. To be meaningful, all comparisons must be based on kWhs/year and not £s.

PS Why choose E.oN? There are some very good small suppliers out there. I am with Zog for gas and Octopus for electricity. The latter offers you £50 if you use a referral link.
    Last edited by Hengus; 10-04-2018 at 9:33 AM.
    • Sosumi
    • By Sosumi 10th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Sosumi
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:22 AM

PS Why choose E.oN? There are some very good small suppliers out there. I am with Zog for gas and Octopus for electricity. The latter offers you £50 if you use a referral link.
    Originally posted by Hengus

Possibly because, for woodentom, Octopus Energy’s current offering is £101 a year more expensive than E.ON’s current v11 one-year offering for dual-energy, and £48 a year more expensive for electricity only. (As these would be for me, in my region and with my consumption.)

Octopus, furthermore, does not offer the additional £140 per annum Warm Home Discount that E.ON does.

ENGIE doesn’t (yet) offer the Warm Home Discount either, but, for me, its electricity-only 2-year fix would be the same price as Octopus Energy’s 1-year fix and its electricity-only 3-year fix would be just £26 more!

You’ve fallen into the Elephant Trip of forgetting how greatly regionality and individual consumption can skew the actual cost to the consumer of any given tariff.

Let alone the ambush of forgetting whether or not Warm Home Discount might apply.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    Possibly because, for woodentom, Octopus Energy’s current offering is £101 a year more expensive than E.ON’s current v11 one-year offering for dual-energy, and £48 a year more expensive for electricity only. (As these would be for me, in my region and with my consumption.)

Octopus, furthermore, does not offer the additional £140 per annum Warm Home Discount that E.ON does.

ENGIE doesn’t (yet) offer the Warm Home Discount either, but, for me, its electricity-only 2-year fix would be the same price as Octopus Energy’s 1-year fix and its electricity-only 3-year fix would be just £26 more!

You’ve fallen into the Elephant Trip of forgetting how greatly regionality and individual consumption can skew the actual cost to the consumer of any given tariff.

Let alone the ambush of forgetting whether or not Warm Home Discount might apply.
    Originally posted by Sosumi
    I have not fallen into any traps. I am fully aware of regional variations etc. If E.oN has come out cheapest for the poster then so be it: all I am suggesting is that separate suppliers can often work out cheaper.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Eon has a good electric deal at the moment. Especially for high users.

Best thing to do is put your switch in, 49 days before your tariff is due to end. This will give sufficient time to sort out any problems that will arise. (too common!)
    • woodentom
    • By woodentom 10th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    woodentom
    i have used the MSE comparison and yes the savings aren't as great and though EON are the cheapest, bulb come out about the same and are a top pick.

is this one ok as it is variable not fixed?

then there is arvo and oneselect

my tariff runs out at the end of the month and i don't know how it takes to switch so grateful for your advices
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    i have used the MSE comparison and yes the savings aren't as great and though EON are the cheapest, bulb come out about the same and are a top pick.

is this one ok as it is variable not fixed?

then there is arvo and oneselect

my tariff runs out at the end of the month and i don't know how it takes to switch so grateful for your advices
    Bulb only offers a single tariff so it is very conscious that getting it wrong will result in a loss of customers. They increased their prices only recently. Use a referral link and you can get £50 off but you must apply using the link not via MSE CEC.

Switching takes anything from 17 to 35 days from application. The new supplier handles everything so there is no need to tell your existing supplier that you are switching.

Top Picks - I am not sure that I would place much weight on what MSE recommends: that said, having been with Bulb for three months ( I have switched again), I would happily recommend them as a supplier.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Eon are a big company so would be tempted to go with them (and fixed)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,895Posts Today

4,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin