Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 9th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1,578Posts
    • 1,046Thanks
    Charlton King
    Number 'screening' on mobiles
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    Number 'screening' on mobiles 9th Apr 18 at 3:23 PM
    I seem to be beset by tech problems lately! Not long ago I bought a cheap, non-smart mobile which I noticed has a 'screening' function. I took this to mean I could add nuisance caller numbers to this 'list' and the calls from these numbers would then be blocked.

Experimentally I set this up in relation to my home landline and then dialled my mobile from it to see what would happen. What happened was that the call was diverted to my mobile operator's voicemail.

Now, believe it or not, when I block nuisance calls I don't actually want this to produce a hoard of junk, cold call voicemail messages on my system which I then actually have to pay to retrieve.

Is there something I'm missing here? Does 'screening' not mean 'blocking'..?
Page 1
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 9th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    No, as far as I know 'screening' does not mean 'blocking'. Screening means you want to know who and why they're calling.
    Blocking means that calls from that number will either not be answered or disconnected.

You need a smart phone and an app for black listing (caller reject) and/or white listing, caller connected.
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 9th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    Ah, ok. Thanks. I shall not be buying a smart phone to avoid this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter