Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 2,716Posts
    • 2,058Thanks
    no1catman
    Property in Joint Names
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    Property in Joint Names 9th Apr 18 at 3:19 PM
    So that there's no room for doubt, is any best way to word it in a will regarding property within Joint Names where it is going to the other person already registered.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 33,267 Posts
    • 20,089 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    If the property is joint tenants it is not part of the willable estate on first death.(still counts for IHT)
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    If the property is joint tenants it is not part of the willable estate on first death.(still counts for IHT)
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    So, no need to mention it at all? That is - property currently in joint names to go under the sole name of the other - namely ............ (or something similar).

Not even to be on the 'safe' side?
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 9th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    When you say joint names do you mean the property is held as 'joint tenants' or 'tenants in common'
    If 'joint tenants' the property goes to the other joint tenant automatically and cannot be left in your will but if 'tenants in common' then your share can be willed to anyone including the other owner.
    However if this is a home jointly occupied it would be best if the property is included in the residue of the estate and not specifically mentioned.
    The danger in specifically mentioning it is if you move and forget to update your will.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

273Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin