Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MINCTbw
    • By MINCTbw 9th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MINCTbw
    Landlords - buying out of area. Experiences?
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    Landlords - buying out of area. Experiences? 9th Apr 18 at 3:17 PM
    I have some funds for another buy-to-let, but I live in a very expensive area. I am considering buying "up north" in some student areas, where prices like-for-like are about 40% cheaper than around here.

However, it must be a lot harder to renovate, advertise, let and manage them when at such a distance. Presumably one simply has to use an agency.

Does anyone here let out of their area, how have you found it? My current BTLs are within 5 minutes of my own house, which is very, very convenient. But, getting so much more for my money might make the extra hassle worth it.
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 9th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 5,688 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    We have properties in different areas but they are all in areas that we know very well we haven't bought something in an area that we don't know and we have very good letting agents.

We don't let to students.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 9th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    I have a property 70 miles away from home, I use a letting agent but still find I need to travel to the property about once a year; either for planned maintenance that I want to do myself or to fix a problem for the tenants that the letting agents contractors haven't managed to fix. It's not too onerous, but I should really be selling the property as the areas is expensive to buy but rents are not too high.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 9th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    BTL away from home is a pain but like you I live in a very expensive area. I give 12% to a lettings agent and bought a brand new property to limit the need for repairs and also means I have more professional tenants. A bit galling as I have made it an easy job for the lettings agent but as it takes me about 5 hours to get there it just isn't feasible to manage myself.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 9th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    I've rented a property a long way from home and it was much harder. We had agents managing it but the tenants kept coming up with the most trivial things constantly that were apparently going wrong I think we only received full rent about half the year we let it for. We found it especially annoying as we had lived in the property for 3 years before they moved in with no more than a lightbulb going wrong. We have no idea how there was suddenly no power to the bedroom light, no power to the hall lights, the shower went wrong and took 3 different tradesmen visits to fix. I'm sure if we coud have popped in most of these things could have been sorted by us rather than 100s in charges. So my advice would be to research your letting agent well and ensure they have good handymen to call on rather than the incompetents ours must have. I don't know how you would research these things though! Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter