Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 9th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,577Posts
    • 1,042Thanks
    Charlton King
    Broadband internet disappears and reappears
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    Broadband internet disappears and reappears 9th Apr 18 at 3:00 PM
    I seem to have strange things happening lately on my computer.

One matter which has me scratching my head is a period of offline-ing which seems to happen quite regularly at about seven thirty in the evening. It only lasts a couple of minutes and not every day but is noticeable when you're in the middle of, say, emailing and suddenly the connection goes.

Nothing different is happening in the house at that time. I'm really puzzled. Any ideas?
Page 1
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 9th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    Can't help with the cause
    but
    If in the end you think its a problem with the ISP a tool like this will help you keep a log to prove the point

https://www.afterdawn.com/software/network/misc_net_tools/internet_connectivity_monitor.cfm
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 9th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    I had a similar problem some years ago.

Purely by chance we discovered that it coincided with a streetlight switching on outside the house.

It turned out that the phone cable (which went near the streetlight) was picking up some interference when the light went on - we eventually persuaded the council to replace the led unit in the light which fixed it.

I would imagine that this is a rare occurrence but is there anything else switching on in your house around that time which could cause interference?
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 9th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    Very interesting! As far as I know we have nothing set to come on or switch off at that time. However I believe the local council did change the local street light units not long ago. I shall monitor this with interest.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    More info needed.

Wifi / wired ?

Other devices affected at the same time or only this one ?

Lights on router all green during the outage ?

What is the network icon in the system tray displaying during ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 9th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    More info needed.

Wifi / wired ?

Other devices affected at the same time or only this one ?

Lights on router all green during the outage ?

What is the network icon in the system tray displaying during ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Wired. No other devices around! All blue (i.e. green). Triangle with exclamation mark against the icon.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 7,563 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    Wired. No other devices around! All blue (i.e. green). Triangle with exclamation mark against the icon.
    Originally posted by Charlton King
    That would imply it's your machine rather than the internet connection to your router.....

..are your network card drivers up-to-date?? Windows 10 ??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 32,862 Posts
    • 38,450 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    Mine used to go off around 7pm each night when I was on ADSL , was a poor connection in the BT cab which was affected by the vibrations of traffic passing in the rush hour . Engineer terminated and stopped
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Charlton King
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    That would imply it's your machine rather than the internet connection to your router.....

..are your network card drivers up-to-date?? Windows 10 ??
    Originally posted by GunJack

It happened again yesterday! Literally for a couple of minutes.

We have Windows 7 'pro' on this machine. As far as I know it's self updating. The various problems we've been having, of which this is the latest, are beginning to make me consider whether it's worth going on with it.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 7,563 Thanks
    GunJack
    Mine used to go off around 7pm each night when I was on ADSL , was a poor connection in the BT cab which was affected by the vibrations of traffic passing in the rush hour . Engineer terminated and stopped
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    But I bet the router indicated that it had gone offline in that circumstance?

If the OP's router is still registering as being online it's his machine...
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 7,563 Thanks
    GunJack
    It happened again yesterday! Literally for a couple of minutes.

We have Windows 7 'pro' on this machine. As far as I know it's self updating. The various problems we've been having, of which this is the latest, are beginning to make me consider whether it's worth going on with it.
    W7 is less prone to sw and/or driver issues than W10, hence asking. Are you sure the router is still indicating it's online when the outage occurs??
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Charlton King
    W7 is less prone to sw and/or driver issues than W10, hence asking. Are you sure the router is still indicating it's online when the outage occurs??
    Originally posted by GunJack
    It's a bit tricky as it takes a good thirty seconds to get to my router from the PC but it seems to be on when I check it. What gets me is why it should be happening at a particular time of day. What is it about my PC or router that would be producing this effect? Surely it must be some external cause..?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 7,563 Thanks
    GunJack
    It's a bit tricky as it takes a good thirty seconds to get to my router from the PC but it seems to be on when I check it. What gets me is why it should be happening at a particular time of day. What is it about my PC or router that would be producing this effect? Surely it must be some external cause..?
    As previously suggested, there could be any number of external (to the router/pc) electrical interference causes which could be enough to drop the 'net connection..is your central heating timed to come on then? Is your neighbor's?

Could be a long shot, but is your router holding device leases for 24 hours, and is taking it's time to reallocate and reconnect the device (pc) at the end of the lease period? This would fit with the symptom of no change in router indications but no 'net at the pc end.Do you have an alternative router to try?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 10th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Wired. No other devices around!
    Wired, or homeplugs? My homeplugs lose conenction now and then. interference probably.

Have you got some wireless device you can try when loss occurs. My phone/tablet work fine on wifi when my homeplugs drop.
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Charlton King
    Suffice it to say that I'll be monitoring the situation closely for possible causes. This isn't enough to cause me lack of sleep at the moment because of the short duration - but it's just something I've noticed as happening at that time in the evening.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Wired, or homeplugs? My homeplugs lose conenction now and then. interference probably.

Have you got some wireless device you can try when loss occurs. My phone/tablet work fine on wifi when my homeplugs drop.
    Originally posted by Carrot007

That was my next thought - Boiler or something coming on at 7pm and affecting homeplugs
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • that
    • By that 10th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    that
    this below is very doubtful, but worth a try

Download the newest drivers from your nic manufacturer, like realtek or broadcomm. Do not rely on windows updates for this.

The real test is a 30m? network cable and wire it straight from pc to router - just to test stuff out. I fthis fixes it then it is a matter or going around the house and garage and unplugging until the problem goes away- dont overlook the fridge, oven and kettle
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    it takes a good thirty seconds to get to my [wired] router from the PC
    I'm interested now. May I ask why?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 8,498 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Call me dumb for asking but can you still access the router from your PC ? That will save you 5 of the 30 seconds, in fact leave a browser window active to your router and look at the system log?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter