Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • megsipop
    • By megsipop 9th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    megsipop
    Contributory ESA, partner salary
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    Contributory ESA, partner salary 9th Apr 18 at 2:29 PM
    Hi,

First time being involved in any of this, so please forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious.

My boyfriend and I are moving in together in July ish. He is on PIP and has been his whole life. He is also on contributory ESA (support group). My job is luckily quite well paid. so I know I am unable to claim carers for him. However, are we going to lose ESA based on my salary? I see lots of articles about it not being means tested, but every time I do one of those benefits calculators, ESA is never included as something we are entitled to?

Thanks everyone
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 9th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    He will not lose his ESA unless he is reassessed and moved into the work related activity group.

Equally he will not lose PIP (I assume he was previously on DLA, PIP has only been around a few years) unless he is reassessed and they decide he no longer fits the criteria.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    Hi,

First time being involved in any of this, so please forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious.

My boyfriend and I are moving in together in July ish. He is on PIP and has been his whole life. He is also on contributory ESA (support group). My job is luckily quite well paid. so I know I am unable to claim carers for him. However, are we going to lose ESA based on my salary? I see lots of articles about it not being means tested, but every time I do one of those benefits calculators, ESA is never included as something we are entitled to?

Thanks everyone
    Originally posted by megsipop
    Contribution based benefits aren't means tested and you working won't affect it. What he does need to make sure is though that his ESA is CB because part of it could be Income Related. If he's being paid any of the premiums on top then it's these that will be affected by your income. CB ESA Support Group is around 109 per week (slightly more now with the April increase i believe) anything more than that will be income related. It will tell him on any letter which one he definitely receives.
    • megsipop
    • By megsipop 9th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    megsipop
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    Thank you! That's so reassuring - I must have been entering it incorrectly!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,243Posts Today

4,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin