Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ruth56
    • By ruth56 9th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 7Thanks
    ruth56
    Redecorating rented flat
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    Redecorating rented flat 9th Apr 18 at 1:39 PM
    My son has lived in the rented flat for nearly three years. He is now looking for another flat as he really wants a ground floor one. The letting agent has said that the landlord feels that my son should completely redecorate the flat before he leaves as there is some evidence of damp arpund the windows from condensation. There was a leak from the roof into the bedroom and the room was not redecorated after that by the landlord although several temporary repairs were done, so it still leaks at times. As a landlord ourselves, we thought that after three years the landlord should be redecroating when someone moves out as this is normal usage? Can they charge him out of his deposit for this ? It is not filthy just needs maintenance. The "usual" redecoration" when he moved in was literally lots of paint over wallpaper which had been done many times so it was not well stuck.
    Advice please...dont want to be unreasonable but this seems a bit much!
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    Return the flat as per the check in inventory minus fair wear and tear.

Dispute any redecoration deduction via the deposit scheme at a later date if necessary.
    Your son has a check in inventory I assume?
    in S 23 T 13 F 40
    out S 31 T 14 F 25
    2017 -32
    2018 Wombling entrant No: 5 57.70
    • ruth56
    • By ruth56 9th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ruth56
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    Yes he has an inventory. Is it possible there is a clause in the rental agreement about decorating? He has mental health issues and tends to just sign stuff without showing us. We dont deal directly with our tenants so dont get involved with inventories etc.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    There may be a clause in the agreement regarding redecoration, not all agreements are standard so he should read the agreement that he signed to see if there is anything to suggest it should be done.

Each LL can customise a tenancy agreement however they wish but the usual rule of thumb is leave the property as you find it minus W&T

However I find it hard to believe that your son would be responsible for redecorating after an issue with the roof,that would be the responsibility of the LL

I have seen rental agreement clauses that allow redecoration,usually with the LL's permission or it states that the internal decoration should be reinstated at the end of the tenancy.(if it has been altered by the tenant during occupation)
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-04-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    in S 23 T 13 F 40
    out S 31 T 14 F 25
    2017 -32
    2018 Wombling entrant No: 5 57.70
    • ruth56
    • By ruth56 9th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ruth56
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    Yes, thats pretty much what I thought. The agreement, I think is the standard letting agents one which is just W&T. Has not done any alterations himself so nothing to reinstate, and the damage is the landlords problem. Thanks, will be more confident in stating the case when it comes to it!
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 16,795 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    Just because a clause is in a tenancy agreement that doesn't make it enforceable. The landlord isn't legally entitled to betterment.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 16,795 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    Presumably your son reported the leak to the landlord in a timely fashion and has since contact the landlord, or an agent acting on his behalf, in writing to tell them that the roof is still leaking.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 5,907 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    Pixie said it all. When is it ever in a tenant's interest to decorate/in any way improve a property they rent? Chances are the LL will deduct from their deposit because they have changed it, however much it needed changing. Imho, your son's LL is having a laugh.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin