Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zaffi
    • By zaffi 9th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 176Thanks
    zaffi
    Network switch - lower speed than wifi
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    Network switch - lower speed than wifi 9th Apr 18 at 1:25 PM
    I've just bought the following "NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch" and some cat6 cables to hard wire my TV (2015 Sony Bravia Android), PS4, Sky and Sonos. My ISP is Hyperoptic (100Mbps up and down).

I ran a speed test comparison using the default ps4 and Netflix checkers. ps4 was about 44Mbps wifi and 100Mbps hard wired. Netflix on the other hand was 55Mbps wifi and about 30Mbps hard wired. The Netflix test has now been replicated several times all with the same result.

I'm not sure what to do as the switch is unmanaged plug and play. Anyone come across this before? Any suggestions?

TIA
    zaf.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10,363 Posts
    • 7,763 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    Netflix app in tv? Is it the tv network card that's no good? got a laptop/pc to check with?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 9th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    To confirm is Netflix also on the PS4 or the TV ?

I have found that some tests are not that reliable and various factors can influence them.

For example Speedtest.net for me on a Virgin connection to a Virgin server only gives 82Mbps hardwired. Test to another local provider and I am at the correct speed north of 350Mbps. This is partly to do with my network and a load balanced router but they you go.
    • zaffi
    • By zaffi 9th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    zaffi
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    Sorry, the Netflix app is through the tv not the ps4. Just checked the connection on my surface, can't believe I didn't check earlier! 44Mb Wi-Fi and 100Mb wired. So must be the tv.

Probably just start running Netflix through the ps4!
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 9th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    Sorry, the Netflix app is through the tv not the ps4. Just checked the connection on my surface, can't believe I didn't check earlier! 44Mb Wi-Fi and 100Mb wired. So must be the tv.

Probably just start running Netflix through the ps4!
    Originally posted by zaffi
    Ok but tests can be one thing, how does it actual perform watching a film or TV show? That's the true test, I don't think you would have a problem with the speeds you are reporting.

As a side note:-

Depending on what router\Wireless access point and distance from you should be able to get a quicker connection too from those. There might be changes you need to do to the config though.

100Mbps in the same room depending on the router should be achievable via WiFi
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    I'm trying to grasp what the problem is given that Netflix in 1080p with 5.1 surround sound uses 5.5mbps and 4k with Dolby Vision and 5.1 surround sound is about 24mbps, both well under the claimed lower speed.
    • zaffi
    • By zaffi 10th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    zaffi
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    In terms of performance, I have the 4k subscription and I've never had an issue with playback. It was just a big difference in the numbers.

What I do also have though is mlb.tv and I have had some playback issues with it. So I'd hoped hardwiring would help but as I can't check the speed for that I was using the Netflix app as a comparison as they both run through apps on the tv.

As for the router, it's the standard hyperoptic router however, it's not in the same room. It's in the hall probably 3 metres straight line distance from the equipment. I was testing last night at peak time, testing during the day I normally register about 70-80 via wifi on my phone and tablet. I have previously played about with the wifi channels but didn't find anything that was consistently outperforming anything else.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    I'm trying to grasp what the problem is given that Netflix in 1080p with 5.1 surround sound uses 5.5mbps and 4k with Dolby Vision and 5.1 surround sound is about 24mbps, both well under the claimed lower speed.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Agreed hence asking what the problem was
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 10th Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    I would take speed test numbers with a pinch of salt.

Sometimes wireless can be quicker due to the architecture of the device having a strange internal "Ethernet" connection. TVs also use to have a 100Mbps port which was also a limiting factor.

Having said that all the figures you have provided (and a 100Mbps) are more than adequate for 4K and HD streams from most sources.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,354Users online

Martin's Twitter