Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiggy14
    • By Tiggy14 9th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tiggy14
    Pilon
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    Pilon 9th Apr 18 at 12:39 PM
    Can you start a new job if on pilon from current employer, I know if you are on garden leave you canít.

Thanks
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 21,005 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    Yes, because your previous employment has ended.
    • Tiggy14
    • By Tiggy14 9th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tiggy14
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    Thanks , in the event that this not offered what is the best way to approach a request to leave a months notice period after 3 weeks.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 9th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Thanks , in the event that this not offered what is the best way to approach a request to leave a months notice period after 3 weeks.
    Originally posted by Tiggy14
    Errr.... by asking nicely?!?

Assuming relations are still good with your current employer, you could always ask if they'd consider it. If you could also demonstrate that you'd handed over all of your responsibilities/knowledge etc to whoever was replacing you, your case would probably be strengthened, but the key thing to remember is that there's no right to get it (or even to ask), so it's all a matter of mutual agreement.

However, you're only asking for a week - that's 5 working days. If you're not parting on the best of terms, then you might want to think whether it's worth rocking the boat for that short a time.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 9th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    TyreLever
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    Can you start a new job if on pilon from current employer, I know if you are on garden leave you canít.

Thanks
    Whats Pilon? I was expecting this to have something to do with metal structures that hold up power lines. Im guessing pay in lew of notice or something along those lines. Never heard of garden leave either.

Anyway if you no longer work for an employer regardless of still being paid I see no issues with starting a new job.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    z1a
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    Whats Pilon? I was expecting this to have something to do with metal structures that hold up power lines. Im guessing pay in lew of notice or something along those lines. Never heard of garden leave either.

Anyway if you no longer work for an employer regardless of still being paid I see no issues with starting a new job.
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    Pay In Lieu Of Notice.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 9th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    Garden (or gardening) leave is where you're paid your notice period (or longer) but aren't expected to work - in fact, you're being paid not to work, especially for someone else. You're therefore being paid to do the gardening.

(gardening - geddit?!? it's a cracker!)
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 9th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    Ask politely.

However, you would not expect to get paid for the full month. You'd only expect to get paid for the 3 weeks you actually worked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter