Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DollyTheSheep
    • By DollyTheSheep 9th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DollyTheSheep
    0 WOW
    Grand Central vs Virgin East Coast - Yorkshire to London
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    0 WOW
    Grand Central vs Virgin East Coast - Yorkshire to London 9th Apr 18 at 11:43 AM
    I know Virgin East Coast is coming to an end soon and it is a busy service at all times in general. Just wondering how the Grand Central service compares?

Only a few trains a day from Bradford, and takes a bit longer. Does anyone know how busy it gets on their various services in both standard and first class?
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 9th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 6,951 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    I can't answer you. I'm afraid, but there is also a Public Tranport board on this forum and it may be worth you re-posting there

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225
    • dondo
    • By dondo 10th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    dondo
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    I use both when travelling to/from London and find Grand Central good- no issues
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 10th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    I usually use Virgin and have for many years considered them to be the best of the long-distance operators. It is clear there has been cost-cutting recently and 10 days ago the ovens packed up and there was no hot food, even though the staff on board managed to cook for themselves! I normally know when I am travelling and book ahead but due to a sudden hospitalisation, I needed to book at the last minute last week.

Virgin wanted 91 to London, Grand Central 30 (this is from Doncaster) so I booked GC for the first time. 20 minutes before it was due to leave the board announced the train was delayed, 10 minutes later it was canceled, having broken down at Wakefield. The problem is they have no spare train sets so you at the mercy of other operators. Hull Trains arrived half empty but refused point blank to accept us, claiming that GC wouldn't accept their passengers a few weeks earlier....

In the end Virgin rescued us but not without being told we would have to wait for over an hour despite there being 3 or 4 Virgin trains within that time. For that reason, even though the seats are better in standard class on GC, the unreliability of the trains and the lack of back up means I will stick with Virgin in future
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin