Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n360
    • By n360 9th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    n360
    Contravention Code 32d
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    Contravention Code 32d 9th Apr 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hello,

I received a PCN from Westminster City Council for failing to drive in the direction shown by the arrow on a blue sign - proceeding in the wrong direction. Code 32d.

The location was Shaftesbury Avenue (near Piccadilly Circus). I do not remember seeing the arrow on blue sign but do remember seeing bus lane sign upon entering. At that time, I had realized my mistake and thought to rectify but it was too late since another car was behind me. After checking googlemaps streetview, I can see that before this bus lane that I mistakenly entered, there were traffic lights with blue arrow sign indicating to turn left.

I do agree that I made a mistake of entering the bus lane. The reason was absolute road confusion. It was past midnight and the weather conditions caused me to panic on the roads of Central London. The rain was so heavy that I could not see any road surface arrows (white road surface markings). It is a shame that when roads were wet and flooded the markings fail to be visible and since, I am from another city, I am not familiar with the roads. Therefore at that time, I was more concentrated to ensure to be on the right side, so that no major accident is caused. This entire panicking caused me to miss the arrow sign on the signal lights and eventually upon entering I saw the blue bus & cycle sign. I felt extremely miserable in that situation and knew that I had made mistake. The only option could have been to reverse the car out but had another car behind me.

I am here to seek an advise whether my situation of road confusion can help with appeal against this PCN.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks
    N360
Page 1
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 9th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    Personally, I would say no.

If you are that confused, you should pull over until you are not, being confused while driving is not a good thing.

And I'm not sure how the roads being flooded meant you missed the arrow on the lights? You must have seen the lights to know they are green so you can go?
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 9th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    davidwood681
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:21 AM
    Nope, pay up and move on
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    You will get much better advice from here http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30
    This space for hire.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 18,388 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    I received a PCN from Westminster City Council for failing to drive in the direction shown by the arrow on a blue sign - proceeding in the wrong direction. Code 32d.

The location was Shaftesbury Avenue (near Piccadilly Circus).

there were traffic lights with blue arrow sign indicating to turn left.

I do agree that I made a mistake of entering the bus lane.
    Originally posted by n360
    Sounds like bang-to-rights. Pay the PCN.

The reason was absolute road confusion. It was past midnight and the weather conditions caused me to panic on the roads of Central London. The rain was so heavy that I could not see any road surface arrows (white road surface markings).
    Was the road so flooded that the sign on the traffic lights was underwater, too?

That's not a reason, it's an excuse.

I am here to seek an advise whether my situation of road confusion can help with appeal against this PCN.
    No.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    As stated bang to rights, London is a nightmare to drive around. Luckily nothing happened in terms of an accident , hitting a pedestrian etc. I guess be thankful for the warning.

Maybe a better SAT Nav could help next time or simply avoid London at night and use public transport.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 8,883 Posts
    • 9,241 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    Get yourself over to Pepipoo - sign-up with something other than hotmail read the intro info before starting to post in the correct forum and be ready to provide all the info they ask for - incl redacted scans of all paperwork and you will get the very best help there is.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    . It is a shame that when roads were wet and flooded the markings fail to be visible and since, I am from another city, I am not familiar with the roads. Therefore at that time, I was more concentrated to ensure to be on the right side, so that no major accident is caused.
    Originally posted by n360
    Not a defence. If anything you should be far more observant and less likely to miss them than a local and if you miss them it is because you are driving too fast for the level of skill you have and the amount of signs etc that you needed to observe. I drive trucks all over the UK, I've driven into central London as a car driver and I come from a small East Yorkshire town with a population just 1/700th that of London, not even a city like you so there are no such things as bus lanes where I live and manage not to fall foul of things like this or bus lanes. You didn't miss seeing the traffic lights so you must have seen the blue arrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,396Posts Today

5,063Users online

Martin's Twitter