Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,726Posts
    • 1,596Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Dash Cam won’t turn off
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    Dash Cam won’t turn off 9th Apr 18 at 9:57 AM
    I’ve got a Nextbase 412gw and it’s hardwired in. When I turn the car off, it stays on. I don’t know exactly how long for but it’s over an hour at least. I thought it would go into stand-by mode quickly but it doesn’t. I rang the customer support and was told not to worry be there is built-in battery protection but I’m not sure I want to rely on that. I don’t drive a lot of miles so the battery wouldn’t get very long to charge up. Also during freezing winter temperatures I don’t think it’s a good idea to let this drain the battery further.

I tried turning on parking mode but it still doesn’t turn off. Also, the screen doesn’t automatically go blank after a few minutes like the manual says it should.
Page 1
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 9th Apr 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:15 AM
    Have you tried a factory reset?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 4,655 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    It may have been incorrectly wired? Did you DIY? If not take it to whomever did the job?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    I’ve tried resetting it but that didn’t work.

I bought it at Halfords but they didn’t wire it in. It was a separate company called HPC. I did query with Nextbase about whether it was wired incorrectly but I couldn’t really understand what he was talking about. It was something to do with ‘live terminals’ or which type it has been connected to. Either way, he said it wasn’t a problem. I’m just not sure I believe that.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 17,215 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    There are two types of live feed that the installer can have tapped into.

One is permanently live. There's electrickery there all the time the battery is connected.

The other is ignition-switched. There's only electrickery there when the ignition is switched on.

It does sound rather as if your installer has chosen the latter, instead of the former. The amount of electrickery the cam is using is likely to be minimal, so your risk of having a flat battery is low, especially if the vehicle is in daily use. The camera is on all the time, so you are gaining a chance of it catching your car being hit while parked.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 9th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    You have it wired to a permanent live. The internal battery only lasts about 10 minutes from fully charged so it wouldn't stay on for over an hour unless it was hooked up to the car battery.

There is a setting in the settings menu which lets you specify how long until the screen turns off. Sounds like yours is set to 'never'.
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    Go into the menu and turn parking mode ON.

The camera shuts down 3 minutes after it last detects any movement
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    The car isn’t in daily use. It might only be a couple of times a week for a short journey. I’m worried this might not be enough to keep the battery charged with a dash cam running permanently.

Should I get the engineer to wire it in differently? Is it possible that with my make of car, he had no choice but to wire it that way? (It’s a volkswagen up, if anyone knows).
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    Go into the menu and turn parking mode ON.

The camera shuts down 3 minutes after it last detects any movement
    Originally posted by facade
    Mine doesn’t. It stays on.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 9th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6,543 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    The whole point of a hardwire in some cases is that the dashcam is used as CCTV to cover any damage whilst your out of the car and runs from a permanent live to enable it to do this, The second option of CCTV whilst out of the car running 24/7 is a separate battery pack and hardwiring to a Ignition switched live, so when the car ignition is off the battery takes over and continues to enable to the dashcam to monitor whilst your not there in a CCTV mode, When the engine start the battery goes into charge mode and switches the power load to the car when you using it.

Sounds like you want the latter set up and not a direct to car fused permanent hardwire to record.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YZMNrbWUg
    "We only have one world, But we live in different worlds"- Mark Knopfler Brothers in arms, Miss you gramps.
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    facade
    Mine doesn’t. It stays on.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Then either the car is moving, the camera is broken, or Nextbase are a bunch of liars.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NBDVR412GW-Instruction-Manual-English-R9.pdf

(p21)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 10th Apr 18, 3:34 AM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    If you don't want it on just slide it off its mount and put it in the glove box
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 10th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Deastons
    There are two types of live feed that the installer can have tapped into.

One is permanently live. There's electrickery there all the time the battery is connected.

The other is ignition-switched. There's only electrickery there when the ignition is switched on.

It does sound rather as if your installer has chosen the latter, instead of the former. The amount of electrickery the cam is using is likely to be minimal, so your risk of having a flat battery is low, especially if the vehicle is in daily use. The camera is on all the time, so you are gaining a chance of it catching your car being hit while parked.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I would say it sounds as though the installer used the former, not the latter.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 10th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    I would say it sounds as though the installer used the former, not the latter.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Yes, sounds like it's been hardwired to a permanently live supply rather than an ignition switched supply.
    A permanent supply and switched spply is usually required if the unit has a parking mode. There are connecting kits available for that usually with a little box of tricks to cut off the power at a predetermined car battery voltage etc..
    Nextbase no doubt sell one to suit?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    facade
    Are you opening the door to see if it is still on? Any vibration should turn it on in park mode.

• ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 10th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Are you opening the door to see if it is still on? Any vibration should turn it on in park mode.
    Originally posted by facade
    No, I just look through the window. I know it’s very sensitive as every time I close the car door, it ‘locks’ a file so I have endless footage of nothing.

All the battery pack stuff is just too complicated for me. I bought this particular brand because they sounded more idiot-proof than others. I think I’ll just keep taking it out of the car when I’m not driving because I can’t work out what else to do and I’m unsure if it’s faulty or it’s been wired in wrongly etc. The only incident I’ve ever had occurred whilst the car was parked at home so it’s shame that it doesn’t seem to work how I thought it would.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 17,215 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It may very well work as you want it to. It's just not in the right mode.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 4,655 Thanks
    missile
    As has been said for parking mode to work correctly you need to connect red to permanent live yellow to switched live and black to earth.

It seems your installer connected both red and yellow to permanent live. Take it back and tell him to do it correctly.

Why did you not get Halfords to fit?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 10th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Korkyb
    I hardwired mine into my Mondeo & the power stays live for around 90 minutes then switches off.

No idea why it does that but if I'm parking it in town then 90 minutes of footage might be handy & shouldn't trouble the battery at all.

Is yours on all the time or does it switch off after a couple of hours?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 24,616 Thanks
    jk0
    If the dash cam actually does stay on all the time, you might find that any record of a mishap gets wiped during parking. I think mine only records for 4 hours, and then starts again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter