Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Huskies 123
    • By Huskies 123 9th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Huskies 123
    Help cleaning credit record please
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    Help cleaning credit record please 9th Apr 18 at 8:14 AM
    Hi everyone.
    I'm starting to clear my credit record and need some help please. I declared bankrupt Dec 2013 and was discharged Dec 2014. I've delayed doing anything since as have not been well.
    My question is, I've looked at my credit record and see several creditors have not updated my records, still showing money owed etc. I plan to write to all of them using Fermi's letter (thanks) My problem is, I had a second mortgage on home, joint account with ex husband. The house was repossessed May 2014 by the 1st Mortgage company (They got all their money back) the 2nd mortgage then became an unsecured loan and included in bankruptcy. It is still showing on my credit record (under different company) it shows account in arrears, balance 30k, now I know the account still exists and my ex is soley responsible for the debt now (Different company name, never had letter or anything) but should it still be showing as a debt on my credit report? Plus default/late payment etc? I'm not sure what to do about this one. I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me.
    Thanks x
Page 1
    • matt1976
    • By matt1976 9th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    matt1976
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    Your credit file/rating will be affected for 6 years from the last default/adverse credit date. After 6 years paid or unpaid one by one each piece of credit will "drop off" your credit file and you can effectively establish your credit profile again. Capital one, vanquis are the type of credit companies that may then give you a small credit limit credit card, take the card even if 100 limit and repay on time in full each month. After a further 12-24 months your limits will be increased and more mainstream lenders with cheaper interest rates may lend to you.
    Worked in motor finance for 15 years
    • Huskies 123
    • By Huskies 123 9th Apr 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Huskies 123
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:02 PM
    Hi. I know it takes 6yrs for my bankruptcy etc to clear. The problem is I have incorrect information on my credit report. Default dates wrong, debts not satisfied, even continued defaults/late payments! So I'm following Fermi's thread on cleaning up your credit record. But I don't know what to do about 2nd mortgage?
    • Huskies 123
    • By Huskies 123 11th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Huskies 123
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    Fermi?
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    Can anyone help me please? Fermi?
    • cancatsdance
    • By cancatsdance 12th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cancatsdance
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    ive found that calling them works really well, if you get your credit file from check my file dot com and find all the references. takes a while to get to the right person but in the end some accept just an email with proof etc.
    • Huskies 123
    • By Huskies 123 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Huskies 123
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    Thanks, I'll look into that. But I still need advice re 2nd mortgage (became unsecured debt, after repossession, so part of my bankruptcy, joint debt with ex husband (not bankrupt) ) It's showing on credit file, under different company, still shows debt of 30k with recent defaults, late payments etc. What can I do about this? Can anyone please help?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,268Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin