Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 9th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 1,917Posts
    • 1,129Thanks
    Sncjw
    Isa help
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    Isa help 9th Apr 18 at 7:35 AM
    Hi

I used to have an isa account with Halifax and because I didnít use it much it went to their really poor rate. I moved it over to nationwide for better rate. Itís a help to buy isa and I didnít really put anything in that year I opened it. Anyways I started to put money in during the last tax year. Iíve been paid interest on it in jan as thatís the anniversary of opening it. I went to the Halifax branch to close the old isa down but they said it would close naturally.

I have a current account and isa account with nil a few days prior to the new tax year. When the new tax year came Halifax has paid me 48p in interest but I donít have anything in the account. How can I make sure they are both closed without affecting this tax year isa in nationwide. They never naturally closed like the bank said
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 8,028 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    Not sure I quite follow - Halifax's HTB ISA is generally regarded as being competitive rather than having a "really poor rate" but anyway....

Which Halifax account paid 48p interest, the current account or the ISA?

If it was the ISA then provide Nationwide with the details of the Halifax ISA and ask them to transfer the (tiny) balance over to your Nationwide ISA. If you have the option to specify closure of the Halifax account as part of the transfer process then choose this, otherwise formally request Halifax (in writing or by secure message) to close the account once the balance has been moved.

If it was the current account then it won't affect any ISAs so you can do what you want with that balance (don't go mad!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,673Posts Today

9,412Users online

Martin's Twitter