Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    • 6,834Posts
    • 40,017Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April?
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April? 9th Apr 18 at 6:19 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 4
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Evening All

Another dull, damp and overcast day, today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Transferred monies to our ISA's
    Fab gym session
    Hospital this afternoon with mum
    Purged a few emails
    Swagbucks
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, WinaDinner, FPL -
    Read

Hoping to relax this evening and enter a few comps.

Take care all

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 12-04-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 26,251 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi April Awesomees,

Another work night. Trying to adjust to my new routine. Very tired so not much moneysaving today. Also too tired to spend any money.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Take a snack to work. Not really feeling like taking a "meal" for my break at 3am!

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 12-04-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 1

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I'm so excited - I finished my dress. It's currently in the WM being dyed and has 2 minutes until it's finished. I can hardly wait
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 39,456 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Up early, had a shower and washed my hair, and allowed it to dry naturally. Pegged washing out, but it has started to drizzle Hopefully it will stop!

Anyway, other plans:
    More new tyres today, this time for the campervan
    All meals from stores. I have started a new shopping list, and I need more compost for the garden pots, but I will put off buying any of this for a few days I think!
    I need to post some stuff for RM surveys, plus a small ebay sale, buy a plant or some flowers for the friend who has invited us to lunch tomorrow, and I have a cheque to pay in. Might try to walk into town - haven't done this for a while due to painful hip, but it isn't too bad atm
    Tidy up the dining room as it has become a dumping ground again
    Some gardening if warm enough - got really cold yesterday and I was only out for about 45 minutes I really want to sort out the big pots in the front garden
    Bargainous gammon to cook for dinner / lunches -local butcher had 2 joints of locally cured gammon on sale for 5.99 One to cook and one to freeze.
    Check banks and update spreadsheet
    Check for surveys

More coffee, then need to tidy kitchen, wash up etc
    NSDs for May: 4 / 19

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Dress came out perfectly Boo hoo last day off until Tuesday. We were hoping to go to the park with friends but the weather hasn't been good overnight. I might suggest going swimming....

Currently I am cutting up a shirt to make into a peplum blouse to wear today

Things to do today:

* life ins person calling me to set up the ins this morning. Serendipity - I didn't end up having time to call yesterday and the person texted me so I asked her to call this morning - her phone line not my minutes
    * make something for lunches over next few days - probably spicy beans and rice thingy
    * get clothes ready for work
    * check onepoll
    * submit receipt on a "try me for free" product
    * going for a meal for a friend's birthday
    * B/L/D from stores (apart from me obviously!)
    * sow some seeds

Ok that's all. Happy Friday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,639 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all loving all the sewing that's going on determined makes me want to get my machine out

Quick list for today:
    Check banking, surveys
    Something out of freezer for tea
    Try and go to gym
    Work from Home so no commute
    All meals from stores
    Meal plan for next week, start a shopping list if I need to
    Finally move money around various pots
    Watch something free on tv tonight, may do pop corn and cinema style at home
    More washing, does it ever stop, can't wait until it can all go out on the line every day....
    Check what I need so I can plant my fruit trees and blueberry bushes out, just a bag of special compost for blueberry bushes and one other bag of compost I think, want to check and not over buy though

Think that's all, have a good day peeps.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Todays list from me
    Made the most of the last day of the school holidays with a lovely long lie in
    Switched ds2s alarm off at the socket
    Had the 16p/pack hot cross buns for breakfast
    Wiped out the fridge as I 've got a musc1ef00d delivery due today Nothing lurking which was good!
    Run dishwasher on quick wash
    Get ds1 to empty ^^ when its finished
    Run washing machine on the quick 30 degree wash
    Keep an eye on the forecast as I should be able to get ^^^^^ out on the line later well its out, I don't hold out much hope for it drying but we'll see
    Check banking/update spreadsheet yay accounts set up to get switching bonus have paid us both 125 - set up some charity dd's so that I can do another switch from these accounts soon
    Update freezer inventory after musclef00d delivery & work out a rough meal plan
    A bit more of my x stitch
    Take ds2 to a friends at 12 and pick ds1s friend up at the same time - taking ds1 & his friend to Mr T on the way home so they can chose something to eat, as I've not had this friend over before. ds2 is at his friends til 6 so ds1s friend is now here for lunch and tea,
    All other meals from stores, still have gammon, hard boiled eggs left from prep the other day
    Hoover round just where needs it
    Clean kitchen using stardrops and washable cloths
    File away the show tickets I got yesterday and make a note on the calendar about where I've put them!
    Research another venue, a comedian dh has said for yrs he'd like to see is coming to a small theatre about 25mins away from where we live at the end of the year. Thinking this would be a good joint Xmas present to ourselves and its 16 a ticket rather (paid 28 each for the ones we bought yesterday as my birthday present) Seeing a comedian in recent years has become our birthday/anniversary/Xmas gifts etc to each other as we don't get to go out just the two of us very often and we always struggled in the past to know what to get each other in the way of gifts. Means we get to spend quality time with each other, without adding "stuff" to our house. (often in the old days dh would end up getting me a bunch of flowers and buying a vase - there are only so many vases one girl can have!)
    Check that all homework & revision is done so there is no last minute panicking on Monday morning
    Iron on name labels into ds1s new school trousers
    onepoll
    Check toluna see if they've sorted my email issue Done, had a reply but not resolved yet as I've had to send screen shots
    swag$s
    Dejunk email folders - got on top of these the other day so don't want it to get out of control again!
    ** Prepped next weeks Rm surveys
    Thats my starter, gone so I better make a start.
    Have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-04-2018 at 3:56 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 39,456 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Up early, had a shower and washed my hair, and allowed it to dry naturally. Pegged washing out, but it has started to drizzle Hopefully it will stop!

Anyway, other plans:
    More new tyres today, this time for the campervan Cheaper than the earthmover was yesterday, but still 130 Lots more vehicle expenses coming up, with both needing MOT and service, and the campervan needing quite a lot of work. Have to keep other costs down!
    All meals from stores. I have started a new shopping list, and I need more compost for the garden pots, but I will put off buying any of this for a few days I think! Shopping list underway
    I need to post some stuff for RM surveys, plus a small ebay sale, buy a plant or some flowers for the friend who has invited us to lunch tomorrow, and I have a cheque to pay in. Might try to walk into town - haven't done this for a while due to painful hip, but it isn't too bad atm Done, bought pink and yellow tulips to take with us tomorrow, 2 bunches for 5 in Waitrose, was the best value I found. Plants in the florists' shops looked the worse for wear
    Tidy up the dining room as it has become a dumping ground again Done a bit of rearranging
    Some gardening if warm enough - got really cold yesterday and I was only out for about 45 minutes I really want to sort out the big pots in the front garden Still too cold
    Bargainous gammon to cook for dinner / lunches -local butcher had 2 joints of locally cured gammon on sale for 5.99 One to cook and one to freeze. Done, and there is loads left for another meal
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Check for surveys A few today, must get back into this

More coffee, then need to tidy kitchen, wash up etc
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Managed to walk into town and back without my hip hurting Haven't been able to do this for weeks (it is easily a couple of miles there and back)

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Hi All

DNMS - I hope we get to see your creations

Today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Collected a few pack of Doritos - thanks to on pack promotion, managed to get another promotional pack and won a 5
    Managed to get DH a pair of PJ bottoms from White Stuff for 4 thanks to sale & a "we've missed you email" which gave me 20 to spend (funny thing is I've never bought from them just signed up to their emails for a comp)
    Swagbucks
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, WinaDinner, FPL

Night all

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Apr 18, 6:52 AM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Working today - I was going to post a but working day may kick me up a gear. A combination of weather and not feeling great has meant mostly this week we've just stayed at home and my motivation is zero!

At least while working I will stay out of the shops!

small things for the day:

* gathered together my breakfast/lunch/snacks - have lo stir fry and enough left for tomorrow
    * quick look at the meal plan and grab anything out needed
    * get joint of meat out of freezer for tomorrow
    * take photo of receipt and submit for cashback
    * relist 2 items that didn't sell on fleabay
    * wrap item that did
    * wash hair and let it dry naturally while getting for work
    * prep stuff for work tomorrow when I get in
    * research and order walking foot to finish quilt - received my final ppi and I am getting a grand sum of 65 coming - my track record continues I can get ppi for everyone else but mine are titchy! But I guess 250 I wasn't expecting 2 months ago can't be sniffed at! - I think I can get one for around 10/11
    * be mindful that something I really want to get (plimsolls in madam's size) is ending today while I'm at work. Might need to get oh to bid on them...

Ok think that's all! I better think about getting on now as less than an hour before I leave - where does the time go????

Hope you all have a lovely Saturday x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 14-04-2018 at 7:31 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Apr 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,639 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Just enjoying a cuppa and some commonwealth games whilst the rest of the house is still snoozy. Netball was very good

My list for today:
    Need to pay dancing subs but have money in the pot
    Check banking and surveys
    Order DH a pair of work shoes but will use cash back
    Take another pair of shoes we ordered back to a shop as the return fees are horrendous. Wouldn't order from them again on that basis
    Meals from stores, get something from freezer
    Double check meal plan for next week
    DH and I both to gym
    Peg washing out, it's not raining for the first time since about November

Enjoy your day peeps.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 20,758 Thanks
    foxgloves
    It's not raining here, either, PurpleFairy.....a first for our region for a very long time!

Morning Saturday Savers,
    Feeling motivated today, so am going to kick in my list & get on with it:
    *Bake a wholemeal loaf.
    *Bake mini-muffins (today would have been my Dad's birthday & I've decided I'm going to mark the day each year by baking something. He loved my cakes right from when I first started baking aged 11 up to the week before he died, so I think this will be a nice simple thing to do in his memory every year).
    *Major greenhouse session....mostly potting up seedlings.
    *Top dress grapevine with worm compost & top up wormery with veg scraps.
    *Sold another small ebay item overnight.
    *Think about what I'd like for my birthday. Mr f is asking me on a daily basis so I must up my game on the thinking stakes!
    *Leftover Moroccan beef pie tonight. I wasn't sure how the couscous topping would freeze, but it looks ok.
    *Order tunic pattern for the lovely jersey fabric I got from the market.
    *Plan for city centre trip tomorrow - make sure I've got vouchers, cash from relevant pots, loyalty cards & packed lunch ready to take.
    *Crochet around a few more blanket squares. I want this project finished so I can get 3 pairs of socks knitted for the presents box.
    OK, must collect mini DAB for greenhouse & maybe a 2nd coffee & crack on.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 39,456 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Lovely weather today, sun shining, not freezing cold and not raining Not much to report though, as we have been out. Went for lunch with some rellies, and a nice long walk after. No spends apart from fuel as a relly did lunch for everyone at his house Was so pleased to be able to go for a decent walk again, and especially nice as we walked round the grounds of a college where I studied and used to work. I had forgotten what a beautiful place it was

Came home, had bits from the fridge in lieu of dinner. Will have to spend in a minute though, as we have run out of milk and will need to get some from the corner shop (fancy some chocolate as well which actually hardly ever happens).

Got some braising steak out of the freezer which I shall convert into a pie tomorrow. I am determined to eat from the freezer as much as possible, as it is rammed again

Will check seedlings in greenhouse in a minute, and aim, I think, for an earlyish night

• dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 14th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Where was the gingerbread candles on special? They sound lovely.

1LL I haven't done Swag$ or Tuluna in years. Do u find either of them profitable anymore?
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Apr 18, 6:33 AM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    determined new ms

1LL I haven't done Swag$ or Tuluna in years. Do u find either of them profitable anymore?
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    dizzyblnd they were in W1lko 25p each. I think they come and go. I posted the link on last week's thread
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,639 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

My internal alarm clock went off at its usual time of 6.29 so I decided to get up and enjoy some peace and quiet. Last night I did some more research on plastic alternatives that I will try to add to my life as current stocks run out (where it's not a financial disaster to switch). First things on the list are:

Shampoo bar
    Cotton/paper ear buds
    Beeswax paper (cling film alternative)

My list for today:

Go to farm and buy some fresh milk, will need to do this before breakfast. Good job the cows are up early -done
    Take return back that we didn't do yesterday, will be quieter today
    Balance just for spends cc - done, was 30p out. But I remember now I was before, so I just paid it off so it balanced
    Meals from stores
    Get ready for school and work tomorrow, packed lunches, uniforms etc...
    Me to gym
    Pay electricians bill, money from Home savings - done
    Put some envelopes (that have come in the post) on a hook to reuse rather than just recycle - done

Back to check in later. Purps.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 15-04-2018 at 9:00 AM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Apr 18, 7:38 AM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning all

My internal alarm clock went off at its usual time of 6.29 so I decided to get up and enjoy some peace and quiet. Last night I did some more research on plastic alternatives that I will try to add to my life as current stocks run out (where it's not a financial disaster to switch). First things on the list are:

Shampoo bar
    Cotton/paper ear buds
    Beeswax paper (cling film alternative)
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    could you bring yourself to use a mooncup and/or reusable sanitary wear Purps? I must say I am really happy with my pads I made. Pretty simple, low cost - I think I spent about a tenner on materials. I've been very pleased with them for comfort and non-disasters ( )

Also I'm going to return to soapnuts because of the impact washing powder has on the environment/ocean life. I think I'll keep a small box for really soiled items but am going to make the switch
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady

Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    Hi, with Swag$s, I don't tend to bother with surveys anymore, but still do my all my searches through them so win some points most days that way, and I keep an eye out on fb for swagcodes. I used to be claiming a 5 every other week but now its less then once a month. I haven't got back into using toluna so I can't say on that one yet.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

We had lovely weather here yesterday so made the most of some free entry tickets to some gardens my mum had offered us. Took drinks and snacks with us to keep it a cheap day out.
    Back to wet, grey weather today

Todays list
    Mr T delivery coming in a bit, wipe out fridge/ update freezer list / meal plan
    Make families lunches for school/work tomorrow
    Hubby and kids will be watching new starwars dvds they bought yesterday (I will watch something on catchup and do some x stitch instead!)
    breakfast will be ys muffins
    Another couple of square cross stitched as part of operation use up what we have! The day light isn't great so thats it for now as I won't switch on the lights!
    My dad trimmed ds2 & dhs hair for them
    Picked up a couple of tulips that had been wind battered, they now look lovely on my kitchen windowsill
    a yougv survey done - must keep on top of these as nearly halfway to payout
    a couple of little bits done on swag$s so that i can claim a voucher on dh's acc

Will add more as the day goes on as the kids are nagging for breakfast!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 15-04-2018 at 4:16 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,639 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    could you bring yourself to use a mooncup and/or reusable sanitary wear Purps? I must say I am really happy with my pads I made. Pretty simple, low cost - I think I spent about a tenner on materials. I've been very pleased with them for comfort and non-disasters ( )

Also I'm going to return to soapnuts because of the impact washing powder has on the environment/ocean life. I think I'll keep a small box for really soiled items but am going to make the switch
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Have been looking at a mooncup, having two daughters I'm aware that my choices will have an impact on them too interesting on the hm pads too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,229Posts Today

7,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin