Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    • 6,955Posts
    • 40,892Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April?
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April? 9th Apr 18 at 6:19 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 3
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning hi HK nice to see you posting again. Hope life has been busy in a good way!

1LL feeling lazy next to you! I literally woke up half hour ago and very sluggish right now! My sleep pattern is really messed up atm fell asleep at 7 and woke up 2.14-4 must try my hardest to stay awake until a reasonable early night time tonight....

This afternoon we have free tickets to lecture with Ken Loach the film director oh's ma is having madam.

Other than that I hope to:

* sow a couple of trays of seeds
    * hang up washing
    * finish altering my dress and then dye it
    * tidy up - why is my house always so untidy???
    * checked banking
    * check meal plan for tonight's dinner
    * check onepoll
    * have a hunt round while I'm tidying up for fleabayable things
    * email fleabayer as I bought 2 things from her, they were posted together and she hasn't refunded me 1 of the postage costs! I might have to raise a dispute over it! Cost to her 2.95 cost to me 7! Done - really not impressed with this!
    * contact life ins people to finalise policy
    * nip into town and collect gingerbread candles (posted on here last week) that's my first lot of Christmas gifts tucked away

Ok that's all I can think of/will get done I think! Happy Thursday
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-04-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    allydowd

Ally, Hope your night shift went as well as it could for you.
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Better than expected.

Tired now.

Three more shifts and it's the weekend.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 30

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza: 147.35km/160.93km
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity: 40.57km/40.23km Challenge complete

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Whoop! received text re a ppi claim - one of mine this time - and I'll be getting a cheque for 179 in the next 10 days

This brings the total for ppi we've got in the last month to nearly 1000 literally for less than 2 hours work using guidance on here. We'd always thought we didn't have it. If you haven't already done it it's well worth a punt
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-04-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 41,308 Thanks
    DawnW

* email fleabayer as I bought 2 things from her, they were posted together and she hasn't refunded me 1 of the postage costs! I might have to raise a dispute over it! Cost to her 2.95 cost to me 7! Done - really not impressed with this!
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    The trouble with refunding postage costs is that the seller has to pay ebay fees on postage costs, which they can't reclaim, even if they refund you It is always best to message the seller before you buy / pay to ask if they will combine postage. They can then send you an invoice with the new postage cost on it, and then they will only be billed for fees on the postage actually paid. Does that make sense? For example, here, the seller will have paid fees on the 7, so if they refund you half, they will be losing out. It is worth remembering this if you are selling, too. Some people don't realise that fees are charged on postage costs as well as the cost of the actual item. This was introduced a few years ago, and in my opinion is very greedy of ebay When I sell, I charge only the actual cost of posting the item (as charged by the post office) so lose out anyway on these fees simply by being fair to the buyer.

Not sure if raising a case would work in your favour, as in buying the items and paying without any prior discussion, you in effect agreed to buy the items at the price / postage costs stated Different of course if you agreed a different course of action with the seller upfront and then they went back on it.

Having said this, If I were this seller, I would certainly agree to refund some of the postage cost, but minus the amount of the ebay fee that will already have been added to their bill. But then I hate to have unhappy customers.....

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    determined new ms
    The trouble with refunding postage costs is that the seller has to pay ebay fees on postage costs, which they can't reclaim, even if they refund you It is always best to message the seller before you buy / pay to ask if they will combine postage. They can then send you an invoice with the new postage cost on it, and then they will only be billed for fees on the postage actually paid. Does that make sense? For example, here, the seller will have paid fees on the 7, so if they refund you half, they will be losing out. It is worth remembering this if you are selling, too. Some people don't realise that fees are charged on postage costs as well as the cost of the actual item. This was introduced a few years ago, and in my opinion is very greedy of ebay When I sell, I charge only the actual cost of posting the item (as charged by the post office) so lose out anyway on these fees simply by being fair to the buyer.

Not sure if raising a case would work in your favour, as in buying the items and paying without any prior discussion, you in effect agreed to buy the items at the price / postage costs stated Different of course if you agreed a different course of action with the seller upfront and then they went back on it.

Having said this, If I were this seller, I would certainly agree to refund some of the postage cost, but minus the amount of the ebay fee that will already have been added to their bill. But then I hate to have unhappy customers.....
    Originally posted by DawnW
    In her listing she said if you got more than one item she would combine postage. I would have sent her a message otherwise. I'm happy to pay the extra but it's a bit steep imo
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 41,308 Thanks
    DawnW
    In her listing she said if you got more than one item she would combine postage. I would have sent her a message otherwise. I'm happy to pay the extra but it's a bit steep imo
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I reckon she will refund you some of it if you ask, but unless an invoice is sent which states the combined postage, ebay will charge fees on the whole amount originally stated, which is worth remembering as a seller, too, because you can't reclaim the fees

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    foxgloves
    DNMS & Dawn - I sell things on ebay & when I'm listing several things, I always add a note in my description that I'm happy to look at combining postage on two or more items as I know this can sometimes save the buyer some money. And for most people buying multiple items, this is exactly what I do. The exception is people who go ahead & pay me for separate items before I've had the chance to message them with the reduced combined postage costs. When this happens, (I've just had one recently on a sale of 2 magazines), I can only assume that the buyer isn't bothered about combining p&p.
    I wouldn't refund anyone who complained I'd sent the two items in one package if they went ahead & paid as two individuals items before waiting to hear from me with the new reduced price. I don't think that's mean, I just don't want to faff around with refunds when I make it perfectly clear in my listings that I'm willing to combine. Does that make sense? I think I'm saying broadly the same thing as Dawn?
    Agree that ebay got v greedy taking a % of postage costs. I don't know how this is even legal, really.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 338
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 41,308 Thanks
    DawnW
    Refunds on postage costs weren't an issue until ebay started charging fees on them

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Apr 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon Thursday Pence Savers,
    Sooooo chilly today. Just about dry but far too cold to take my veggie seedlings down to the greenhouse for potting up.
    *Did next week's meal plans.
    *Wrote shopping list.
    *Do online order - try to get a green delivery slot - pushed for time on Sat so an online order makes sense.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Free mesl tonight - chunky turkey soup from rubber Christmas turkey & home made cobs from freezer.
    *Baked sourdough loaf I mixed up yesterday.
    *Froze an unused pepper.
    *Sold some marmalade - added straight to LPDF.
    *Did 3 surveys.
    *Made a start on cleaning the house - just got to run the Dyson around.
    *Continue working on my revised healthy eating plans.
    *Free fitness as am about to pop out for a walk to test out new insoles in my DMs.
    *Think about what I'd like for my birthday as mr f is wanting ideas.
    *Update my DFW diary. It's quite cathartic sharing tales of the Spendy Decades.
    Best wishes to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 41,308 Thanks
    DawnW
    Anyway, apart from moaning about ebay, today looks like this:
    Market this morning for veg and fruit, 5 for 2 big bags
    Opened a new regular saver account to replace the one that matured yesterday
    Used up the last of the cress I grew on the windowsill for lunchtime sandwiches
    Booked car in for MOT and service
    Free treats received with dog food delivery this morning, much to dog's delight
    Sowed a few seeds but was so cold outside I didn't stay out long!
    Also planted some of the living lettuce stuff from the supermarket in a bigger pot to let it grow on a bit, and repotted a parsley plant I bought from the market.
    Now lit the woodburner - wish we could get some warmer, drier weather

Further plans:
    Update spreadsheet with spends etc
    Post a couple of letters, will coincide with taking the dog out
    Dinner will be jacket potatoes stuffed with smoked haddock, herbs and creme fraiche, with green veg on the side.

Boring list - hope to add to it later!

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 15,816 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Late post again but better than not at all. Glad your night shift was ok ally

Top gardeners out there, most of my daffs have come up blind this year. Is there a reason for this? Any advice, as ever much appreciated.

Today's list:
    Used gym membership, filled water bottle 3 times
    Used some frozen blueberries in my protein pancakes I had when I came back
    DH took leftovers, hot drink and snack to work. Dd had packed lunch
    Borrowed a costume my dd needed for tomorrow rather than sourcing one at cost
    Washing shuffle
    Checked banking
    Still need to move pots around from yesterday, was too tired by the time I got to look at it
    Balance just for spends cc
    Walk tonight with friend, free exercise.

Right best do some work before I go pick up the smalls. Purps.
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 12th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    spudsmum
    Afternoon fellow penny wranglers!

Impromptu day off today as youngest small has caught chicken pox at nursery, he's miserable so we've snuggled up on the sofa with a blankie watching Peppa Pig (oh joy!)

In other news the online banking smart key arrived on Tuesday so I spent a lot of time shuffling money around but now back on top of everything I think and paid all bills.

Thanks all for the advice about freezing things - i used to freeze all sorts but somehow got out of the habit - must start this again.

Ally - hope you've recovered ok from your first night shift

Anyway onto all things MS:

found a pack of stuffing in the back of the cupboard so will use that with some ys potatoes to do a huge roast for tea
    doing meal plan and shopping list for next week - shouldnt need much again.
    finalised home insurance and theyre not taking the payment til next month so more time to top up the pot
    looking at the MSE cheap energy club as my fix comes to an end soon - looks like i can save 300 per year.
    cashed out some survey sites
    2.89 cashback from shopmium - gone to debt fund
    made another debt payment to MBNA
    wombled a receipt i found in the trolley at asda a couple of day ago - its worth 3.64!
    checked DH' bank for his wage amount coming ni tomorrow and mentally allocated to various pots

Thats it I think
    Total debts 21050! now 18934.52 . 1% challenge 1641.25/15000 (10.94%) Total extra income made in 2018 2544.79 frugal budget 2018 6253/7600 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 24 months to go!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Daffodils coming up 'blind'. This is usually due to insufficient nutrients or because the clumps are now congested & require lifting & dividing up.
    Some of mine have also come up blind & I know it's lack of nutrients in this case. I always cut the seed heads off after flowering & leave the foliage to die back naturally to feed the bulb for next year, but these particular daffs are next to a hungry combination of a tree, privet & a wall and the soil there is poor. I'm going to feed the foliage this time & hopefully they will flower next yesr. Hppe this helps m'duck!
    F x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 15,816 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Daffodils coming up 'blind'. This is usually due to insufficient nutrients or because the clumps are now congested & require lifting & dividing up.
    Some of mine have also come up blind & I know it's lack of nutrients in this case. I always cut the seed heads off after flowering & leave the foliage to die back naturally to feed the bulb for next year, but these particular daffs are next to a hungry combination of a tree, privet & a wall and the soil there is poor. I'm going to feed the foliage this time & hopefully they will flower next yesr. Hppe this helps m'duck!
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Thanks v. Much
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 24,953 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Evening All

Another dull, damp and overcast day, today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Transferred monies to our ISA's
    Fab gym session
    Hospital this afternoon with mum
    Purged a few emails
    Swagbucks
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, WinaDinner, FPL -
    Read

Hoping to relax this evening and enter a few comps.

Take care all

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 12-04-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155 Make 5 per day Aug: 122.68/155 Make 5 per day Sept: 379.95/150
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi April Awesomees,

Another work night. Trying to adjust to my new routine. Very tired so not much moneysaving today. Also too tired to spend any money.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Take a snack to work. Not really feeling like taking a "meal" for my break at 3am!

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 12-04-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 30

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza: 147.35km/160.93km
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity: 40.57km/40.23km Challenge complete

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I'm so excited - I finished my dress. It's currently in the WM being dyed and has 2 minutes until it's finished. I can hardly wait
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 41,308 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Up early, had a shower and washed my hair, and allowed it to dry naturally. Pegged washing out, but it has started to drizzle Hopefully it will stop!

Anyway, other plans:
    More new tyres today, this time for the campervan
    All meals from stores. I have started a new shopping list, and I need more compost for the garden pots, but I will put off buying any of this for a few days I think!
    I need to post some stuff for RM surveys, plus a small ebay sale, buy a plant or some flowers for the friend who has invited us to lunch tomorrow, and I have a cheque to pay in. Might try to walk into town - haven't done this for a while due to painful hip, but it isn't too bad atm
    Tidy up the dining room as it has become a dumping ground again
    Some gardening if warm enough - got really cold yesterday and I was only out for about 45 minutes I really want to sort out the big pots in the front garden
    Bargainous gammon to cook for dinner / lunches -local butcher had 2 joints of locally cured gammon on sale for 5.99 One to cook and one to freeze.
    Check banks and update spreadsheet
    Check for surveys

More coffee, then need to tidy kitchen, wash up etc

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Dress came out perfectly Boo hoo last day off until Tuesday. We were hoping to go to the park with friends but the weather hasn't been good overnight. I might suggest going swimming....

Currently I am cutting up a shirt to make into a peplum blouse to wear today

Things to do today:

* life ins person calling me to set up the ins this morning. Serendipity - I didn't end up having time to call yesterday and the person texted me so I asked her to call this morning - her phone line not my minutes
    * make something for lunches over next few days - probably spicy beans and rice thingy
    * get clothes ready for work
    * check onepoll
    * submit receipt on a "try me for free" product
    * going for a meal for a friend's birthday
    * B/L/D from stores (apart from me obviously!)
    * sow some seeds

Ok that's all. Happy Friday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 15,816 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all loving all the sewing that's going on determined makes me want to get my machine out

Quick list for today:
    Check banking, surveys
    Something out of freezer for tea
    Try and go to gym
    Work from Home so no commute
    All meals from stores
    Meal plan for next week, start a shopping list if I need to
    Finally move money around various pots
    Watch something free on tv tonight, may do pop corn and cinema style at home
    More washing, does it ever stop, can't wait until it can all go out on the line every day....
    Check what I need so I can plant my fruit trees and blueberry bushes out, just a bag of special compost for blueberry bushes and one other bag of compost I think, want to check and not over buy though

Think that's all, have a good day peeps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,262Posts Today

8,084Users online

Martin's Twitter