Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    • 6,835Posts
    • 40,025Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April?
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:19 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April? 9th Apr 18 at 6:19 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 2
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

A wet day here in the North West. Not much to report, and a similar list to yesterday!

B/L/D from stores
    Snacks as planned - done
    No sugar
    No booze
    Charge phone in work - done
    Gym at lunch time - done
    Nip into the garden later and check things.
    Sew in crochet ends - ongoing
    Free stretching video
    Relax and be fabulous

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 10-04-2018 at 5:34 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,006 Posts
    • 39,478 Thanks
    DawnW
    Another wet day Always feel sorry for the schoolchildren on holiday (and their parents) as no doubt it will dry up once they have gone back to school.

Plans for today:
    Check banks and update spreadsheets Done
    Spendy day today as car needs 2 new tyres Plenty more vehicle related expenses coming up as elderly camper van needs work and both need MOTs and service Didn't actually get them today, DH had to order them, and they will be in tomorrow. So, other spending plans were put on hold, and I scored another NSD
    Might do a small shop, or might wait till tomorrow, list in progress See above
    Post office with RM surveys stuff Done
    Buy a new box file for business stuff for new tax year. Will get one in the pound-ish shop and keep the receipt! Will look tomorrow
    Washing to fold and put away Done
    More washing to do, which will have to be dried inside As luck would have it, it was dry this afternoon, so out it went. It isn't bone dry, and will have to be finished off on the airer, but this is way better than having to dry it from scratch
    Washed another load to hopefully put out tomorrow
    Good tidy up / putting things away
    Put trundle bed back under main bed in spare room and put away bedding etc - can't get to my sales stock in the eaves cupboard till I do this. Done
    Sort out fridge etc and freeze items that are looking as though they need it Done, some tomatoes on the turn got the soft bits cut off and composted, and the rest chopped and frozen
    Finish up parsnip soup for lunch Done
    Make frittata for dinner, to use up various bits and pieces Some leftover cooked peppers and onions, a bit of ham and some leftover mashed potato went in, along with 6 eggs and a handful of freshly grated parmesan. And there is loads left for lunch tomorrow
    Make flatbreads, as I haven't done this and fancy trying These were a great success, with the frittata and a salad. Won't be buying wraps / chapattis etc again
    Cut oriental greens, rocket and chives from the garden / greenhouse to have with our salad

More coffee first I think, as not much sleep again
    Last edited by DawnW; 10-04-2018 at 7:35 PM.

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 10th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Its damp and grey here too in South Wales this morning. Kids don't care though as they've both got a friend coming over this afternoon.

HK, hope you're doing ok, not seen you post for a bit.

Todays list
    Make dh's lunch for tomorrow Done - tomorrow and Thursdays done
    Switch ds2s alarm clock off at the wall til tonight as it auto resets itself anyway Done
    Use up breakfast - slice each of the banana loaf from yesterday (can't make it too often as its moreish!) and a slice each of toasted uncut loaf from the weekend Done
    Lunch will be last of the stew (will add a tin of beans to pad it out for the 3 of us) Done, there was really only 1 portion of stew left so added a can of beans and we had the it with some Yorkshire puds out of the freezer - kids said the stew was much nicer today with the beans in!
    Cook a gammon joint for mine & dh's dinner Done
    Make a chicken curry as I got the chicken breast out of the freezer yesterday Done
    Kids dinner - Ds2s friend is a picky eater so I usually give in and take them to mc'ds but I don't want to do that today so am thinking I'll do jacket potatoes with a choice of beans, cheese, tuna mayo, chicken curry or gammon as its topping. Hopefully there will be something there he'd like!!
    I've got ice lollies, fruit or yogurt in for dessert
    Will get ironing done when their friends are over and watch some catch up tv in the ipad at the same time.
    Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash, not ideal as the weather isn't good but ds2 spilt his milk on his bed this morning so had to be done. Done and out on the line, keeping an eye on the weather as its likely to rain.
    Check banking/update spreadsheet Done
    Do mindfulness app
    Share bath water later, continuing useup of lotions and potions and will leave hair to dry naturally too.
    Run the dishwasher on the quick wash

Sure i'll add more as I go. Finished my coffee so I had better make a start.

**Ordered a musc1efood delivery, went through TCB too.
    ** Short of sandwich meat for dh and he's messaged this morning to say he's fed up of cheese so to avoid an extra trip to the shops I've done some boiled eggs.
    ** Unsubscribed from lots of marketing emails and cleared out my 3 email accounts
    ** A yougov survey done
    ** An isay survey done x 4 and claimed £6 amzn ecard
    ** Checked noodle report - all fine

Have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 10-04-2018 at 3:15 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 10th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    spudsmum
    spudsmum I read your diary the other day and wanted to say to you you can freeze baked beans - no more 1/2 eaten and festering tins in the fridge! Also I always use beans in chilli just wash off the sauce first
    Originally posted by determined new ms

Thanks DNMS - i do use baked beans in chilli and in sausage caserole. Had no idea you could freeze them though.
    Total debts £21050! now £19834.47. 1% challenge £853.50/£15000 (5.7%) Total money squirrelled away/NOT wasted in 2018 £2067.31 frugal budget 2018 £2996/£3800 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 27 months to go!
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 10th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 26,252 Thanks
    allydowd

* Going for a Bike and Go cycle this morning.

Originally posted by allydowd
    Plan A: Rent cycle from usual Bike & Go place on mainland for £3.80, catch ferry to island for £3.30, cycle round island. Cost £7.10.

Became...

Plan B: Catch ferry to island for £3.30, take bus to town for £3.30, rent cycle for £4.50 from Mapes, cycle round island. Cost £11.10.

....Because there was no "man" at the railway station to give me the key today as planned owing to staff shortages.

Complained to Bike & Go, who are going to credit me one-day's hire free: £3.80...so I will only have spent £4 more than planned, and the day's plans weren't ruined.

DW came with me, paid nothing on the bus and went for a walk/photogra-faff while I cycled.

Very cold and (now) wet here so an afternoon of DVDs we already own awaits.
    Last edited by allydowd; 10-04-2018 at 2:56 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 10th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 26,252 Thanks
    allydowd
    Thanks DNMS - i do use baked beans in chilli and in sausage caserole. Had no idea you could freeze them though.
    Originally posted by spudsmum
    Spudsmum: You can freeze almost anything, other than eggs in their shells.

Lettuce and cucumber can be frozen but will be soggy when defrosted...but could still be added to soups.

Soft cheeses with a high water content, like cottage cheese, ricotta, and cream cheese lose their fluffy texture when defrosted, but they are still edible.

Mayonnaise and cream separate and curdle after freezing.

Most other things are freezable.

Blocks of cheddar freeze just fine.
    Last edited by allydowd; 10-04-2018 at 3:03 PM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Apr 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 40,025 Thanks
    determined new ms

Lettuce and cucumber can be frozen but will be soggy when defrosted...but could still be added to soups.

Soft cheeses with a high water content, like cottage cheese, ricotta, and cream cheese lose their fluffy texture when defrosted, but they are still edible.

more often than not I buy cheese when I spot it ys and then grate and freeze. Perfect for our needs

I agree I freeze almost everything! The challenge is eating it afterwards....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    more often than not I buy cheese when I spot it ys and then grate and freeze. Perfect for our needs

I agree I freeze almost everything! The challenge is eating it afterwards....
    Originally posted by determined new ms

Plot twist: DNMS actually lives in a branch of Iceland Food Warehouse

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 40,025 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Plot twist: DNMS actually lives in a branch of Iceland Food Warehouse
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Jaysus! It's taken forever for the penny to drop....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Apr 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 20,801 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening all,
    Oh my days....will it ever stop raining?
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Stretched 1 leftover frying steak to make a nice sweet & sour stir-fry & noodles for two.
    *Unpacked my summer clothes & put my most wintery stuff away.
    *Did a couple of surveys.
    *Made some notes from 2 or 3 healthy eating books for ideas for a few calorie-controlled lunches which are a bit more creative in terms of nutrition, as well as economical.
    *Did a cheap load of laundry overnight but not a chance of pegging it out so it's on the heated airer, probably cancelling out my saving.
    Never mind, it's been quite a positive day in some respects.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £244
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 5,006 Posts
    • 39,478 Thanks
    DawnW

I find cream is fine for cooking purposes after freezing, such as added to a quiche. It is only a texture / appearance thing, doesn't affect the taste, and if it is whisked with other stuff, you don't notice it anyway.

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 10th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Todays list
    Make dh's lunch for tomorrow Done - tomorrow and Thursdays done
    Switch ds2s alarm clock off at the wall til tonight as it auto resets itself anyway Done
    Use up breakfast - slice each of the banana loaf from yesterday (can't make it too often as its moreish!) and a slice each of toasted uncut loaf from the weekend Done
    Lunch will be last of the stew (will add a tin of beans to pad it out for the 3 of us) Done, there was really only 1 portion of stew left so added a can of beans and we had the it with some Yorkshire puds out of the freezer - kids said the stew was much nicer today with the beans in!
    Cook a gammon joint for mine & dh's dinner Done
    Make a chicken curry as I got the chicken breast out of the freezer yesterday Done
    Kids dinner - Ds2s friend is a picky eater so I usually give in and take them to mc'ds but I don't want to do that today so am thinking I'll do jacket potatoes with a choice of beans, cheese, tuna mayo, chicken curry or gammon as its topping. Hopefully there will be something there he'd like!!
    I've got ice lollies, fruit or yogurt in for dessert Done
    Will get ironing done when their friends are over and watch some catch up tv in the ipad at the same time. Done
    Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash, not ideal as the weather isn't good but ds2 spilt his milk on his bed this morning so had to be done. Done and out on the line, keeping an eye on the weather as its likely to rain.
    Check banking/update spreadsheet Done
    Do mindfulness app
    Share bath water later, continuing useup of lotions and potions and will leave hair to dry naturally too. Done
    Run the dishwasher on the quick wash Done
    Sure i'll add more as I go. Finished my coffee so I had better make a start.

**Ordered a musc1efood delivery, went through TCB too.
    ** Short of sandwich meat for dh and he's messaged this morning to say he's fed up of cheese so to avoid an extra trip to the shops I've done some boiled eggs.
    ** Unsubscribed from lots of marketing emails and cleared out my 3 email accounts
    ** A yougov survey done
    ** An isay survey done x 4 and claimed £6 amzn ecard
    ** Checked noodle report - all fine

Have a good day all.
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Pleased with what I got done today but the meal for the kids tonight didn't go to plan!
    Ds2s friend doesn't like potato (likes waffles/roasties/chips though) doesn't eat eggs, cheese, veg other then sweetcorn (luckily I had sweetcorn!) doesn't eat tuna, beans or curry so I had to change and did oven chips & sweetcorn for him, my ds's and ds1s friend had gammon beans and chips.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Apr 18, 6:36 AM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 40,025 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning I've been up for a while - watching more sewing p0rn so yesterday's alternations to dress didn't go according to plan! Luckily as I wasn't certain I just tacked it together before cutting so today's attempt II I am going to use a dress I like the shape of as a guide Might go do that shortly...

Things for today:

* checked banking
    * read martin's email - really not much doing this week...
    * hang up washing
    * flylady upstairs
    * think of something fun to do today with madam. She had a play date she was so looking forward to but the mum cancelled yesterday She is going to be very disappointed
    * onepoll
    * Portion up and freeze red braised cabbage cooked yesterday
    * do 50% of my dress
    * sow some seeds - really happy I finally started yesterday honestly it was the thought of it still being on my list and never getting done that spurred me on!
    * check meal plan and get anything out of freezer
    * cook chicken breast for oh's lunch. will use a ys wrap
    * meeting up with a friend this evening for a catch up

that'll do! Happy Wednesday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Apr 18, 6:38 AM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 20,801 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Money Savers,
    Am out this morning supporting a charity thing. Also aiming to pot up baby aubergine & pepper plants, crochet around a few more blanket squares, check online banking for a paypal payment & transfer it to LPDF if it's there. Jacket potato night tonight. Mr f is finishing off the last portion of smoky pork chilli from the freezer & I fancy salad & some kind of fish with mine. Will have to pay £4.50 for car parking today so will take the opportunity to do all my town jobs, such as posting an ebay parcel, while I'm there.
    Have a good day all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £244
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 26,252 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi April Awesomees,

I start work at another site tonight, miles away. Switching back to nightshift is going to play havoc with my body clock.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Take a packed lunch to work.

To live without risk is to risk not living.

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,006 Posts
    • 39,478 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Yet more rain this morning
    Hoping it will dry up later like it did yesterday, so I can put washing out on the line. I put it out for a while but it didn't dry much, must get the airer out in a minute
    Other things:
    OH just gone to get tyres for car £170
    Need to pay window cleaner's and milk bills Will do in a minute
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Banks done, but must update spreadsheet with today's spends
    Regular savings account matured, so £65.74 interest Started another one, as the interest is 5%, and it earns a bit more just by recycling existing savings
    Need to do a shop Done, also picked up a couple of cardigans for me in Sainsburys. I am down to just one that I don't like much, I don't often see them, and these were only £10 each
    Expensive day (in fairness only due to the tyres, other things won't be much) Certainly was!
    Might take some items to sales unit Done
    Need to post a parcel for RM survey Done
    Plenty of lunch bits in fridge OK
    Something out of freezer for dinner Had leftovers instead

It would be nice to get out in the garden, but too wet this morning, and even if it is like yesterday and dries up a bit this afternoon, it looks to be pretty cold as well Have to see how it goes! It stayed cold and often wet
    Last edited by DawnW; 11-04-2018 at 7:59 PM.

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Ally, I hope tonight goes ok for you.

Its another grey and damp day here too.

Todays another day of no real plans here. So will start a list and add as I go.

Todays list
    Kids had ys bread for toast with scrambled eggs for breakfast
    Switched ds2s alarm clock off at the wall as it auto resets quickly
    Run the dishwasher on the quick wash (and get ds1 to empty it )
    First Rm survey to do today -
    Popped into Tesc0 & £shop when doing ^^ and got some hot cross buns that they were selling for 16p/4 and some kitkts in £shop for the kids treat box
    Check banking/update spreadsheet
    All meals from stores as I have plenty of leftovers from yesterday dh's come home from work ill again the kids and I have had his sandwiches for our lunch
    Some more cross stitch to continue using it up
    Finish off sorting cupboards in our snug now that I have all the x stitch stuff from my mum here. - currently have 3 big boxes to find space for sort of done! everythings in the cupboards now but not how I want it keeping, got it out of the way as dh is home and so don't want to be banging around him if you see what I mean!
    onepoll Done 3 and will keep an eye out for more, am only on £2.55 so a long way to go.
    Swag$s as they're having a code day so will try and get them if I can, I can't be bothered with their surveys etc anymore Got some codes, clicked the link about bonus from last weeks email too and did a couple of short surveys as dh feel asleep resting on my shoulder so I didn't want to move him!
    ** updated kids pocket money in my bullet journal as they wanted some extra treats in the £shop this morning

Right thats my start.

Off to make a and get started
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-04-2018 at 4:36 PM.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 11th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 23,351 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Dull, damp and overcast again- very disappointed. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Bake (Apple & Cinnamon Loaf) - Cooking now, smells delicious
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, WinaDinner, FPL -
    Read -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Ziggy, I stopped doing luckyphone last year when they were changing payout, is it worth still doing? Do they payout on 1000 LP's still? Thanks in advance!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon folks

Bit mad at work today - my new freelancer (seems ok so far thanks!) had to rush off very suddenly as he seems to have a bit of a bad tummy so I'm doing an emergency priority deliverable for the client AND his coverage work! Eeeep!

Bit naughty last night as OH had a rather discombobulating day so we hit our fave cafe for a coffee and then went for a bit of cheeky sushi dinner. All from budgeted personal spends but this pot is looking very low already.

Today though:
    • B/L/D from stores (will be eating last night's planned pie)
    • Snacks as planned (this going very well so far - lets see how I cope over the weekend)
    • Bit of overtime today to finish all work off already worked lunch plus will probably stay late) - I am superwoman. I have finished half an hour early!
    • Sew in crochet ends (ongoing)
    • No alcohol
    • No sugary stuff
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Start thinking about prices for boot sale items. ask mil if she has anything else to sell
    • Start drafting up meal plan for next week and adding to shopping
    • See if work have a battery tester I can borrow - nope
    Have a good one folks

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-04-2018 at 6:02 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin