Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 9th Apr 18, 6:00 AM
    • 197Posts
    • 91Thanks
    TyreLever
    HGV training, do you need to learn to drive a car first?
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:00 AM
    HGV training, do you need to learn to drive a car first? 9th Apr 18 at 6:00 AM
    I imagine driving a lorry is drastically different from driving a car. I would like to do the training for HGVs but would I need to faff about with larning to drive a car first? I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.

Also if I did learn to drive a car, how would the points system work. Would I be allowed up to 12 on my motorcycle part and only 6 on the car part (for the 1st 2 years)?
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Apr 18, 6:36 AM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 3,862 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:36 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:36 AM
    Can't answer the first part but you only have one licence with the vehicle types that you can drive listed on it. Therefore all points, regardless of whether bike, car or other vehicle, go on a single licence. So in your example your total points would be 18.
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 9th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    You need a full car licence to apply for a LGV provisional entitlement you also need to pass a medical test.

As above you only have one licence with all your entitlements on and to which any points are added.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 7,417 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.
    If you are an experienced and competent motorcyclist passing a car driving test should be easy.

Five seconds with google gives the answer. https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 09-04-2018 at 7:40 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 11,625 Posts
    • 8,411 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    I'm not sure I'd want an HGV driver on the road who couldn't drive a car tbh.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3,084 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    OP - do you know what the costs are for HGV training ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 9th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 10,704 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    If you are an experienced and competent motorcyclist passing a car driving test should be easy.https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Not necessarily... You'd have to unlearn some bike-specific habits first - at least long enough to convince the examiner. My father fell foul of this - and as a passenger, it was quite frightening when he forgot he was now driving a van and went to filter...
    Womble #7 - Running Total £17.15 $2.69 Ä5.68 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.15 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti fils) MDL0.25 (Moldovan bani)
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I imagine driving a lorry is drastically different from driving a car. I would like to do the training for HGVs but would I need to faff about with larning to drive a car first? I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.

Also if I did learn to drive a car, how would the points system work. Would I be allowed up to 12 on my motorcycle part and only 6 on the car part (for the 1st 2 years)?
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    Isnít the two year rule from the date of passing your first test?
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 9th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure if I would want to share the roads with someone in charge of a 40 tonne vehicle if they have to come on an internet forum to ask those questions of random and anonymous people without doing their own research first!
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 9th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    You need a full car licence to apply for a LGV provisional entitlement you also need to pass a medical test.

As above you only have one licence with all your entitlements on and to which any points are added.
    Originally posted by esmerobbo
    A medical?
    I didn't take a medical when doing my c and c+e only last month
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 9th Apr 18, 12:38 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    Having recently done this very thing myself...

For the purposes of the new driver act, you count as having passed your test when you first got your license.

As Unforseen above pointed out, there is only one license - you merely add different entitlements to it as & when you pass certain tests.
    Therefore, if you've held your bike entitlement for more than 2yrs, the New Driver act does not apply to you - be it in car or on a bike - as you have held your license for more than 2yrs.

*EDIT* However, don't for a second think that means you can add-up the number of points across cars & bikes, or any such silliness - one license means one set of points - and if you lose the license then you lose all your entitlements.

Remember - if you get too many points, you lose the LICENSE - you don't lose an entitlement.
    So any additional entitlements (car, van, hgv, etc...) that you have on your license are also lost.
    Last edited by Cash-Strapped.T32; 09-04-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    facade
    I don't know how much things have changed recently, but when my brother was unemployed a few years ago, my late parents paid for him to do a HGV course, and get his HGV licence.

But he couldn't get a driving job without experience, and he couldn't get experience without a driving job.

Seems that no-one would entrust 40 tonnes of expensive truck and cargo to someone who just passed their test.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Having recently done this very thing myself...

For the purposes of the new driver act, you count as having passed your test when you first got your license.

As Unforseen above pointed out, there is only one license - you merely add different entitlements to it as & when you pass certain tests.
    Therefore, if you've held your bike entitlement for more than 2yrs, the New Driver act does not apply to you - be it in car or on a bike - as you have held your license for more than 2yrs.

*EDIT* However, don't for a second think that means you can add-up the number of points across cars & bikes, or any such silliness - one license means one set of points - and if you lose the license then you lose all your entitlements.

Remember - if you get too many points, you lose the LICENSE - you don't lose an entitlement.
    So any additional entitlements (car, van, hgv, etc...) that you have on your license are also lost.
    Originally posted by Cash-Strapped.T32
    If it was issued by the DVLA itís a driving licence.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Tarambor
    No. It is combined so what you get in each class of vehicle affects them all. If you've already got 6 points on your license forget doing this because you'll be lucky to find anyone to employ you.

Also when it comes to insurance if you've had an accident in your lorry at work it is still declarable on any policy you apply for for a car or motorbike.
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 9th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    If it was issued by the DVLA itís a driving licence.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Ha, spelling alert - it's a fair cop guv!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Tarambor
    A medical?
    Originally posted by arcon5
    You had to take one to apply for your LGV provisional license. From age 45 you need to take one every 5 years up to age 65 and then annually from thereon in.

I don't know how much things have changed recently, but when my brother was unemployed a few years ago, my late parents paid for him to do a HGV course, and get his HGV licence.

But he couldn't get a driving job without experience, and he couldn't get experience without a driving job.

Seems that no-one would entrust 40 tonnes of expensive truck and cargo to someone who just passed their test.
    Originally posted by facade
    Whereas my 22 year old son had little problem getting one when he passed his test last year. HGV driver employment agencies are the typical way in the door to get the experience and in my opinion the best way as you're not expected to be good and you can gain experience on a wide range of vehicles and load types in a very short space of time.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 09-04-2018 at 2:17 PM.
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 9th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    I'd go back to plan A.

The roads have become unviable for me. Cycling is OK for short distances. Is there any form of aircraft (microlights cant be that costly?) that costs no more than a typical car?
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 9th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    A medical?
    Originally posted by arcon5
    The medical D4 form not so much a medical as a report from a doctor is when you apply for the provisional entitlement.
    Last edited by esmerobbo; 09-04-2018 at 2:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

2,275Users online

Martin's Twitter