Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Apr 18, 3:54 AM
    • 1,402Posts
    • 13,779Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Monday 9th April 2018
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:54 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 9th April 2018 9th Apr 18 at 3:54 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Apr 18, 5:56 AM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 18,372 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:56 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 5:56 AM
    Good morning Holly and everyone who will follow.

Holly I hope today is good for you. I do understand about the need to wash everything, I imagine that nothing will smell quite right until it has been washed at home.

I am at home today. I've worked on most of my days off recently but don't plan on doing that today.

It is very foggy here and hard to tell what the weather will be like later. Yesterday, the met office told me that it would probably rain heavily for most of the day. We did have a little drizzle. So Ihaven't looked at today's forecast.

Sausages and bubble and squeak for dinner tonight.

Hope all is well especially for those of us whose OH s or partners are unwell.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 13,779 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    Morning everyone

Sorry everyone, I started the thread and then managed to get back to sleep. I suddenly felt sleepy again . I'm wide awake now though!.

Iím hoping that the weather here today is a bit better than the drizzle and light rain that we had all day yesterday because I want to get out and about around the park again this morning. Iím really feeling the need to get out in the fresh air. I think that this is another hang up from being stuck indoors for so long. As I was on a Section I was only allowed out if the consultant authorised leave in writing and for most of the time he only allowed me to go out with a member of staff in the hospital grounds and then for short walks a bit further.

I have discovered that my motivation is still not what it should be. I have been managing to get some washing done, but so far havenít managed to tackle the ironing. Iím going to start to try and iron one thing a day from the ironing pile and if I feel like doing more I will but Iím not going to get upset if I canít do more.

My brother called over yesterday and he took me and my sister in law out for a lovely afternoon tea at an upmarket local hotel as a treat. I really enjoyed it and it was a pleasant surprise because it is so unlike him to think of this sort of thing. Even my sister in law didnít know he had booked it, and he had got my niece to put some suitable clothes for her to wear in the boot of the car.

In the end I just cooked my chicken breast in the oven yesterday, sliced it and had it with some salad. It was all I wanted having been out. Iíve got some minced beef out of the freezer and will make a spaghetti Bolognese for dinner tonight.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Apr 18, 6:33 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 41,611 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:33 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:33 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dull, dreary and dreich start to the day - looks like a similar day as yesterday.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, he asked if there was any yorkshire batter left so he can have pancakes for brekkie this am, there's just enough/ I remembered to get the gammon steaks out of the freezer, so tonight dinner will be gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, peas/veg. Yesterday's roast pork was delicious.

Back to work today - hoping for a busy day.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th Apr 18, 7:08 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 92,488 Thanks
    redruby
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:08 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:08 AM
    Morning all

Damp and drizzly here again, yesterday we had rain all day but I had a really lovely lazy day I lit the fire in the afternoon and sat and watched a film and napped it was bliss !

Back to reality and work today it will probably be busier due to the school holidays, although the rain will put people off.

I also have the dr this morning for my results although I already know them Im hoping he an come up with an answer or solution as to why I am feeling so exhausted all the time.

We also have the door man coming this afternoon to change the lock (he had put a temporary one on a while back and now has the proper one)

TA I hope everything goes well for you today xx

Have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 6,308 Posts
    • 39,649 Thanks
    Gers
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    Good morning everyone.

After the glorious afternoon and evening here yesterday weíre back to grey sky and drizzle. I even sat outside the front of the house in the late afternoon reading, basking in the warmth and enjoying watching the glory of clumps of daffodils around me.

The insurance company has sent me a settlement cheque (for the crash in November) so Iíll go to the bank to deposit it. Iíve reckoned up the cost to the other insurance company as a result of their client not taking two seconds to look to right before pulling out of a side road into me - my guesstimate is £10k.

I know that the TAís will be already on the way, however my thoughts are with them. Such a worry for everyone.

Holly - just take things very gently. Most things can wait. As for ironing, I havenít ironed anything for over five years and my world hasnít ended yet. I really hope you can enjoy yourself.

Iíve got chicken breasts (on offer) and noodles (YS) for later, just crying out for a stir fry.

I wish everyone a very happy Monday.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 9th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly.

Didn't sleep well again.

If the weather is ok I'll try and get some jobs done in the garden today.

Tried to sort the freezer into some sort of order yesterday, I've so many frozen plums and gooseberries that need to be used before we get this seasons crop, not sure what I can do with them all. I usually make jam, but far too many. Maybe try making some plum chutney.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 45,328 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    Morning All

It's a bit dull out this morning, could go either way. I'm just washing the visitors bedding and may hang it out for a while as I'm about all day.

My late night on Saturday took its toll yesterday, after going out for brunch I got home and had a nap! Had a good nights sleep so ready to face the world today, not that I have anything planned apart from a walk somewhere and a visit to the allotment this afternoon.

Hope you all have a happy Monday. Take care. XX
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 9th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    Morning all, it doesn't seem to be a bad morning here.
    i did a big post yesterday and lost it,I wanted to throw the computer out of the window.

Nice to see you back Holly, I hope you are coping well - it certainly sounds as if you are.

Yesterday was given over to tidying up outside, and repotting some plants. we had thai green chicken curry at teatime, it was nice.

Today, it's my Book group at the library, and I've got a bag of stuff to take to the chazzer, I think that's it for today,

Thoughts to Mr TA, and Dumpling, and of course anyone else who is poorly,

Take care folks
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 9th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,852 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all wet wet wet here dogs have been walked DD1's friend has gone on holiday so we are dog sitting her guide dog and she is an absolute dream it is lovely to see her playing with the other dogs and dolly like a dog should do as she deserves a holiday as well it must be hard work being at work all the time
    I must tell you all about a great service from the passport office got some photos done at Timpson/Max Spielman and as well as the photos and some on a memory stick they give you a code so you put that in on the online renewal form and your pic comes up so no form filling and all you have to do is send the old passports back this was so easy they say little things make you happy and this definitely did as i was dreading having to do 2 x forms
    Up with the larks this morning to take DS to the station DH had already left for work . Dolly's chicken and rice is bubbling away on the hob .
    Dinner tonight is fish mornay and rice i fancied something light after yesterdays roast.
    Thoughts are with the TA's today
    gentle hugs to all who need them and extra strength to those who need some
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 24,895 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, small steps mídear, the ironing can wait, itís you that matters.

Thinking of the TAís and Dumpling hoping all goes well for them.

It rained all day yesterday and today doesnít look much better but guess itís helping with all the spring growth. Have the vet coming today to give Lu her vaccinations but other than that not much planned, have been thinking about a wardrobe sort, cull anything that hasnít been worn this winter etc.
    We are back on the BSD so Easter choc has been hidden away , tea with be fish stew with cauli rice.

Have a good day folks x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Apr 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 19,527 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Holly, The only things I iron now are bed linen, cannot bear rumpled linen on the bed, OH's shirts and my blouses or jumpers.

A dull grey morning, the laundry basket is only 1/4 full so it can wait till later in the week.

DGD is delighted with the PKP, so I have decided to ditch my old pressure cooker, which is very heavy and treat myself. My pressure cooker is a replacement for one which warped. I have had it for 5 years......so I will pass it on through the charity shop along with the ice cream maker which has not sold.

Egg chips and beans tonight..........
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 19,213 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I'm absolutely shattered as I didn't fall asleep until 3.30 and then woke again at 7 after some horrible 'hospital' dreams. I couldn't drop off for worrying about today's assessment but now it's here and I just have to get on with it. My lovely cmht lady will be here just after 12.30 with lots of calming words I have no doubt.

I'm going to cook pork schnitzel, mashed potatoes and spring greens for dinner tonight. I used the time I was up to write a full meal plan for the week ahead and also ordered some shopping to be delivered tomorrow, so it was not all time wasted.

Sending hugs to the TA's, hope it all goes smoothly and Mr TA recovers quickly xx
    Holly, I am with Gers in that I haven't ironed anything for years and nothing bad has happened apart from being a titchy bit crumpled on occasion .
    silver-oldie, plum chutney sounds really nice. Sorry you are not sleeping, hugs to you too xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• snoozer
    • By snoozer 9th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 19,888 Thanks
    snoozer
    Good luck today dumpling. I hope it's not too upsetting for you.

I'm glad you got more sleep Holly, I'm another who irons the bare minimum (although my board is always up because of my sewing, maybe that's why I won't do normal ironing).

Thinking of Mr TA, I hope it's a fairly simple swap.

It's a beautiful morning here so we'll probably do something before packing up to go home.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Elona
    Holly

I am embarassed to say it but I have not ironed for over ten years. So many things can just drip dry or go outside on hangers.

Positive thoughts and fingers crossed for TAs today.

Just about to make some porridge for breakfast and then get ready to go to York to U3A this afternoon and take a parcel to be exchanged for a larger size while I am on my way to the bus stop. I have home made chilli chicken and peppers to eat tonight and will put a portion in the freezer for later.

csarina

My youngest was home at the weekend and noticed the pressure king pro making the comment "How many gadgets do you have?" I did not rise to the bait and just commented that I use it regularly and it is energy saving. I love the way it makes soups and stews without my standing over a cooker for ages or having to use an oven.

I had a real shock yesterday as two dds and sil were over and were coming in and out of the front door when suddenly a big dog bounded into the house and straight into the kitchen!!!! I am wary of dogs anyway and got quite a fright but shouted at it to get out and sil came in and coaxed it out. The man who was walking down the road with it and did not have it on a lead or under control did not come and fetch it or even apologise. I knew there was a reason I hate and detest open plan but unless I get an outside porch built there is not much I can do.

Hugs to all
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 12,401 Posts
    • 39,260 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Holly I'm with csarina and rarely if ever get the ironing board out (even for bedding for me though Any clothes that clearly need ironing get chucked in a basket and invariably stay there till I send them to the charity shop. If you hang clothes straight out the wash the creases magically disappear ......thats my excuse and im sticking to it
    Hope all goes welll for Mr TA today
    silver-oldie plum chutney sounds delicious can I order some

Busy work day today sorting out a presentation and liasing with the customer to get agreement ...never goes to plan!

Book club tonight and its a bring a dish night (as well as a bottle of course ) I have done 5 bean chilli and will be doing a big pile of jackets stuffed with cheese and bacon or cheese and mushrooms for a veg option. Looking forward to seeing what everyone turns up with...a veritable feast no doubt

Right quick tea b4 my 10am call

Have a great monday all
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 9,677 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all, now don't all faint because I'm posting early !
    We had a courtesy call from the window man at 8.10am to say that he'd be here at 11am. Would have liked to be a fly on the office wall when he heard that he has to fit 14 windows, replace another one with patio doors and then fit 2 external doors! Better keep him sweet with tea/coffee and biscuits .
    Anyway today the sun is shining here, so I have washed my bedroom curtains and hung them out and now in the WM are the voiles from the top of the stairs. That's everything washed for now, except the 2 pairs from the lounge but they were done early last year, so I may not bother to wash those.
    I won't be doing much today, well all week really so I will probably get stuck into my new book.
    Tea tonight will be something quick, probably oven chips and breaded fish for me, chicken for Mr Fix It.
    Holly I hate ironing and avoid it until it becomes unavoidable, or we run out of clothes
    TA (and Mr TA) and Dumpling I am thinking of you today. Hope everything goes well for you.
    Hope everyone has a good Monday. Take care all. The hug bucket is brimming over so please help yourselves.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 16,004 Posts
    • 69,139 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

What a day already! Woke up to several messages from various people telling me that my brother has got married. The cynic in me says "Thats his £80,000 inheritance gone" and knowing my Mother would be turning in her grave (if she had one). I hope for his sake it works out for him.

Prodigal has been, been fed, had a shower and dropped a load of laundry on me. He normally does his washing where he is staying but he'd been ill and bought it to me instead. He's got a doctors appointment at 10.30, at least he will look clean.

My thoughts are rendering me useless today. The chimp paradox no doubt.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 10,412 Posts
    • 113,469 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Sorry everyone, I started the thread and then managed to get back to sleep. I suddenly felt sleepy again . I'm wide awake now though!.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Don't apologise; I for one am pleased that you managed to get a bit more kip. x

Elona I am horrified; for one thing, the dog should have been under proper control for his own safety, and for another, the lack of manners in not even apologising leaves me totally speechless. What if you'd been the owner of a dog-phobic cat or something?? The dog is, of course, not to blame; as always in these things it is the owner who is at fault. If the dog isn't taught manners, how can he know what's acceptable? I hope the man concerned doesn't have children, as from this, I reckon they'd be the ones that run around the pub screeching at the tops of their lungs and not a word gets said to them!

Lainey I hope Lulu is a good girl for her vaccination, and it's not too unpleasant for her.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 12,401 Posts
    • 39,260 Thanks
    Nelski
    Holly

I am embarassed to say it but I have not ironed for over ten years. So many things can just drip dry or go outside on hangers.
    Originally posted by Elona
    you and me standing proud Elona .....don't be embarrassed ironing is sooooo yesterday

How rude of the dog he clearly fancied dinner at yours for a change
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,760Posts Today

8,782Users online

Martin's Twitter