Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sprucegs
    • By sprucegs 8th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 3Thanks
    sprucegs
    Self employed and new changes
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:48 PM
    Self employed and new changes 8th Apr 18 at 10:48 PM
    I'm a sole trader (self employed) and running a very small gardening business.
    The new data protection laws coming in next month, am I required to do anything?
    For my self assessment records I keep a copy of invoices which obviously has clients name and address on, which are stored on my work pc and also hard copied into a folder. I also have clients numbers saved in my mobile phone. I'm confused as to whether I need to do anything or change anything to comply with the new changes?
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Sanne
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    Do you have a website? Do you pass details to anyone else?

You will be a data controller of your customer!!!8217;s data and the legal ground for processing will most likely be contractual obligations, i.e. unless you use details for marketing you don!!!8217;t need to worry about opt-ins etc.

You will need to consider your retention period, I.e. how long do you keep certain data (invoices, phone numbers), however, for invoices, legal requirements will be your guide.

Also make sure details are safe - locked drawer, password-protect your PC. IF you lost data think about how you!!!8217;d report it, though with the type of data you hold the impact will be tiny.

That!!!8217;s what I can think of right now and isn!!!8217;t really different to the current DPA.
    • sprucegs
    • By sprucegs 8th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sprucegs
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    I do have a website yes, a wix one I built myself.
    I don't pass details to anyone no. I literally print invoices with customers name and address, keep a file copy and one saved on my pc, which my pc is password protected.
    I will only keep the records for as long as needed for my self assessment which I believe is 7 years,
    Thanks.
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 9th Apr 18, 12:33 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Sanne
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:33 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:33 AM
    Do you collect data via the website (e.g via a contact form?)

If so you will need a privacy policy that outlines what you do with the data. This would also lay out if you use things like Google Analytics.
    Let me know and I can PM you the link to a free template from a solicitor which is great and which you can use as long as you keep the credits in.

If you use cookies on your website you will also need a cookies policy - you can buy a template from said solicitor (not too expensive - think around £20) and amend.

If neither and the site is just to provide information then you’re fine.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 34,979 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    Sanne, assuming you are not that solicitor, could you post a link here? That could be very useful to people.

Having said that, people should take care using such tools, because making any changes might have unintended consequences.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • sprucegs
    • By sprucegs 9th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sprucegs
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    No contact form on website. Just my contact details.

So nothing really I need to change
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 9th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Sanne
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    Sanne, assuming you are not that solicitor, could you post a link here? That could be very useful to people.

Having said that, people should take care using such tools, because making any changes might have unintended consequences.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Yes, of course- wasn!!!8217;t sure if I!!!8217;m allowed!
    The site is https://docular.net - they have been recommended by our solicitor who also uses the templates from the solicitor behind that site.
    As there is an editor is very easy to amend - of course you still need to have an understanding about what you!!!8217;re putting together unless it!!!8217;s a very straightforward case.

There are a few free ones for GDPR (specifically the privacy policy) and other purposes.
    Last edited by Sanne; 09-04-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 34,979 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    Thanks Sanne.

I have added your links (and a link to this thread) to a GDPR thread on the Small Biz board.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

7,498Users online

Martin's Twitter