Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieHorrigan
    • By JackieHorrigan 8th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JackieHorrigan
    Esa and on appeal
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    Esa and on appeal 8th Apr 18 at 10:41 PM
    Hi I'm looking for some advice on claiming esa at assessment rate while waiting appeal.
    I understand that I am not entitled to top ups at the moment. My question is can I claim severe disablement whilst on this stage. I was receiving it before failing WCA. I am in receipt of pip. Hope someone can advise me as I'm really struggling on the bare minimum
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    Hi I'm looking for some advice on claiming esa at assessment rate while waiting appeal.
    I understand that I am not entitled to top ups at the moment. My question is can I claim severe disablement whilst on this stage. I was receiving it before failing WCA. I am in receipt of pip. Hope someone can advise me as I'm really struggling on the bare minimum
    Originally posted by JackieHorrigan
    Can you please tell us what stage of appeal you are at? Have you done a Mandatory Reconsideration? Are you claiming JSA at the moment?

What do you mean I am not entitled to any top ups? Do you mean the WRAG /Support group components?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Apr 18, 11:24 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:24 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:24 PM
    Do you mean the Severe disability Premium (SDP) are you currently claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? Is anyone claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you and do you live alone or classed as living alone?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:27 PM
    I read that wrong, sorry. I see you do have a PIP award, if it's a daily living award. Does anyone claim Carers Allowance for looking after you and do you live alone or classed as living alone? These are the criteria to claiming SDP and yes it can be claimed on assessment rate of ESA, of the ESA is Income Related.

For others reading this then SDP can also be paid on Income Related JSA and Income Support but NOT Universal Credit.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 17,138 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    Have you had to appeal an ESA decision before? I understand that if you have it can affect whether or not you can be paid during later appeals.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • JackieHorrigan
    • By JackieHorrigan 9th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JackieHorrigan
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    Really esa and on appeal
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    Hi and thanks to you all for your responses.
    I was a bit vague with my question wasn't I, sorry I will try again to explain.
    I am currently appealing my esa decision. I have gone through mandatory reconsideration and at appeal stage waiting for a hearing date.
    I was in receipt of jsa but have been reinstated to esa while waiting my appeal.
    I have been put back onto assessment rate which is 73.10 a week.
    I wanted to know if anyone could advise me about SDP which I was getting prior to going back on assessment rate. I know I am not able to claim for extra from support or WRAG groups.
    I didn't offer far before this but now I can't afford to go anywhere at all on this money. I have a disability and recieve pip.
    Thanks everyone
    • JackieHorrigan
    • By JackieHorrigan 9th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JackieHorrigan
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    Esa and on appeal
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    I am currently appealing my esa decision. I have gone through mandatory reconsideration and at appeal stage waiting for a hearing date.
    I was in receipt of jsa but have been reinstated to esa while waiting my appeal.
    I wanted to know if anyone could advise me about SDP which I was getting prior to going back on assessment rate. I know I am not able to claim for extra from support or WRAG groups.
    I didn't offer far before this but now I can't afford to go anywhere at all on this money. I have a disability and recieve pip.
    Thanks everyone
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 9th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    Thanks everyone
    Thank you for explaining.

The Severe Disability Premium premium can be paid on the basic rate and the assessment rate of ESA and JSA so if you were getting the SDP before then you should continue to get it.

Were you paid it on JSA?

What rate of PIP are you on?

Good luck with the appeal.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 09-04-2018 at 9:58 AM.
    • JackieHorrigan
    • By JackieHorrigan 9th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JackieHorrigan
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    Thanks pmlindyloo. Yes I was getting it on jsa and I get standard living element of pip
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

914Posts Today

7,534Users online

Martin's Twitter