Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ailey
    • By ailey 8th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,221Posts
    • 1,715Thanks
    ailey
    Have MyHermes done away with the 16cm small parcel height?
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    Have MyHermes done away with the 16cm small parcel height? 8th Apr 18 at 10:39 PM
    I've had a good look on MyHermes website and also checked various threads on here to see if I can find out anything about the Small Parcel sizes. It used to be that anything over 16cm height had to then be sent as a Medium parcel. I was paying for a parcel on MyHermes tonight and it didn't say anything about small or medium parcels so have they possibly repriced and just work by the weight now as long as the combined size is not over 245 cm? Thanks for any help.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
Page 1
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 8th Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 4,820 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    I've used Hermes a lot but never been aware of a Small and/or Medium Parcel definition.
    However Royal Mail do still make the distinction and coincidentally do still have a max height of 16cm for Small.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • ailey
    • By ailey 9th Apr 18, 12:50 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    ailey
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:50 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:50 AM
    I've used Hermes a lot but never been aware of a Small and/or Medium Parcel definition.
    However Royal Mail do still make the distinction and coincidentally do still have a max height of 16cm for Small.
    Originally posted by mgdavid

Thanks for your reply. I've got it printed here dated 12/09/2016 and it shows Small parcels, Medium parcels and Tubes although I can't remember when they brought in the Small and Medium price list. They did bring it in after Royal Mail did, a few years ago. It says on it that 'A small parcel can weigh up to 2kg and will fit in a box measuring 45cm x 35cm x 16cm' so they made it exactly the same as Royal Mail. The only benefit was when a parcel was taller than 16cm and over 2 kg then it was cheaper to send by MyHermes.

I'm hoping they have done away with it as it is so much easier just to be able to send it by weight as long as the combined size is no more than 245 cm.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    Maximum sizes here https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/parcel-size.html

They used to have a small and medium parcel in the under 2kg weight band. It was changed a few weeks (months?) ago and reverted back to their maximum sizes but within the weight bands. The weight band now starts at 1kg, as opposed to the up to 2kg before.

From memory the small parcel was something like 35cm x 45cm x 16cm. Anything over that had to go standard.

Edit - yes that was the size. Found a page on P2go with it on.

https://www.parcel2go.com/content/myhermes-small-and-medium
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    posted on MSE:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5510766&highlight=hermes+massive
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 60,165 Posts
    • 42,796 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    You were lucky with MyHermes then as for about 2 years or so they had parcel sizing in line with the Royal mail sizes and were very strict with enforcing it. It was as the same time that they changed the weight bracket to start at 'up to 2 kg'.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • November2
    • By November2 9th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    November2
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    It's all very confusing at the moment, if you continue to book via Shutl or P2go its still the old size system. It's actually cheaper in some instances to go with the old system, a parcel just over 1kg but small is still 2.79 but now 3.99 on myhermes site!
    • ailey
    • By ailey 9th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    ailey
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    I'm so glad that they've done away with the 16cm height and now operate a weight by volume system. I've found it so difficult to get things protected with large bubble wrap around a box and still keep it within the 16cm restriction. I was trying to enter my postage details on MyHermes quickly last night before 10 pm and it held me back trying to find out about the small and medium parcels then I thought that maybe they had changed it again. That will hopefully make life easier when wrapping some parcels! Not sure if I got an email from them but I could have missed it.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,129Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter