Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazc82
    • By kazc82 8th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kazc82
    Advice welcome- am I due a refund?
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    Advice welcome- am I due a refund? 8th Apr 18 at 10:32 PM
    I booked an apartment through booking.com. I’d not used the site before and only really read the description and looked at the pictures. My bad!
    It was for my family including a 5 year old and 1 year old.
    On arrival we were to call the ‘concierge’ to gain the access code and find out the code for the keys. Someone said they would call us back but hadn’t after 45 minutes. A lady came out- she was the cleaner and she said she would let us in and give us the keys/codes.
    As we went up to the room there was a really strong smell of weed everywhere. It was in the room next to us but filled the halls.
    The room was disgusting- really unclean and nothing like the pictures- the sofas were all ripped and there was burn marks everywhere.
    We called booking.com and they had to call the site as they told me they are only the agent. I couldn’t get through to the ‘concierge’ myself.
    30 minutes later a rep of the apartments called. They offered to change my room but at this point I felt unsafe in the building. There was no ‘concierge’ to come and judge the situation or to deter further weed smoking. I advised that had it been just my husband and me, I would have put up with it for one night but felt a strong duty of care to protect my children from this. He said he would have to email management for a refund as I would not be able to contact them myself.
    It was a huge inconvenience- we couldn’t find anywhere to stay and finally did 8 miles away from where I was due to be working. The kids were tired and we had to pay for a second accommodation.
    I have now been back in contact with booking.com who tell me there is not much they can do as it was a non refundable booking and advise I should have done more robust research. They have contacted the elusive management who have,at first suggested a 20% refund and now said they will offer me 20% off my next stay at one of their sites. Booking.com have said they will refund £20. My total paid was £124.

So I do know that the apartments cannot be responsible for guests smoking but they surely should have sent someone to check it out? If they couldn’t I’m sure they also have a duty of care for children?
    Or do I just need to get over it and realise I made a bad mistake which I’ve now paid for?
Page 1
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 8th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    I feel you may find it hard to extract anything more than £20.

You did not allow them to put right the situation first. If you went and inspected the other room, and it was the same state, then you have a good case against the retailer. But you didn't.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 11,331 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    Honestly the smell of a bit of weed is not something that you need to doggedly protect your child from. Would you feel the same if the room next door smelt of cigarette smoke or McDonald!!!8217;s? Both are as unhealthy as weed

The whole duty of care thing is ridiculous. The police largely ignore weed now. No ones going to rush out to protect children getting a whiff...
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 15,956 Posts
    • 11,988 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    Honestly the smell of a bit of weed is not something that you need to doggedly protect your child from. Would you feel the same if the room next door smelt of cigarette smoke or McDonald!!!8217;s? Both are as unhealthy as weed

The whole duty of care thing is ridiculous. The police largely ignore weed now. No ones going to rush out to protect children getting a whiff...
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Agree but she did say a very strong smell not just a whiff
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 9th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 2,324 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    I think you have a good case for a refund, if the room was not as described.

You could try a chargeback/s75 request with your bank? Otherwise it would be small claims court.
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 7,527 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    bris
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    I think you have a good case for a refund, if the room was not as described.

You could try a chargeback/s75 request with your bank? Otherwise it would be small claims court.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    You missed the part where they agreed to change rooms, the OP declined to even considered it.
    • susancs
    • By susancs 9th Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    susancs
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    I know it is not what you want to read, but I doubt you will get anything more than you have been offered. The apartment was not as described by the sound of it and you might have had more recourse if you had accepted the change of room and found it was of a similar poor standard. I can understand you being concerned about the smell of marijuana in in the building, but when it was outside the apartment it was very unlikely to affect your children, for the short time you stayed there. You also seem to indicate that Booking.com have suggested that you should have done more robust research before booking which seems to indicate that the information on what sort of environment it is, was available at the time of booking.

I would leave a review and upload any photos of the condition of the apartment on Tripadvisor and Booking.com.
    • kazc82
    • By kazc82 9th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kazc82
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the comments. Worth a try but I!!!8217;ve learnt a lesson I guess!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

957Posts Today

7,986Users online

Martin's Twitter