Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,957Posts
    • 491Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    How long to sort out an insurance claim?
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    How long to sort out an insurance claim? 8th Apr 18 at 9:46 PM
    Incident in summer 2015. Third party admitted liability but then something happened, they changed their mind or their company told them to (who knows) ... regardless of the why the claim is still ongoing.

Incident in October 2017 (apparently). False accusation by the third party but obviously the insurance company have to entertain it.

Since December 2017 both insurance companies (the claims were with policies for 2 different companies) have been contacted a number of times requesting an update, requesting the accident assessor report, requesting the third party statement, requesting why has a total 180 been allowed (the change of decision) and just in general requesting any kind of update whatsoever to see where the insured stands right now, what is going on, what is next & how long is it expecting to take.

As at this rate, even if the insured is found to be at fault, that much time will have passed that the "any incident within the past 5 years" question on the insurance quote will be pointless regarding this.

Taking time is one thing but to not respond? (note: they have previously responded so it's not like their address doesn't work).

Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Apr 18, 4:01 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:01 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 4:01 AM
    Send an invoice for the amount of your claim losses directly to the other driver in their name. Then when they don't pay it issue county court proceedings. If you paid for legal expenses on your policy use that to do this.

When you make a claim you're actually making it against the other driver, not their insurance company. The other driver pays insurance to cover them in the event of such claims. If their insurance company doesn't pay out in a timely manner then you continue the claim against them directly.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    The first incident from 2015 sounded like a 50/50 to me. One person coming out of a car park & one person going in & the collision was on a sort of bend/turn. Regardless the third party admitted fault but now has changed their mind. Repairs were needed to both cars.

This most recent one last october though never actually happened. Whether it's some joker who's been P'd off or what I don't know. It's my brother who's the one involved, not me. So maybe he overtook him and the guy took exception to it. Who knows. Maybe the third party damaged their car themselves and are looking to scam. Who knows? All we do know is that in this instance my brother wasn't even there and neither was his car.

He's obviously wanting it sorted because it's cost him no claims discount on his next round of insurance (took out December 2017).
    He's chasing his insurance company and they just said the third party 'independent witness' places my brothers vehicle at the scene. For all we know this 'independent' may be this guys mates cousin or something. So anyway, the insurance did respond but now they're not. Obviously it hasn't taken as long as the 2015 episode but it's dragging on & he's asking for answers and copies of reports.

• Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    If he has legal expenses cover he took out with the policy in force at the time of the claim then this is the type of thing to be using it for so he needs to be contacting the insurer he used at that time and pursuing that.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    This is one of those moments where you realise that spending a few quid can save you a lot of bother then as he never selected that as an extra due to his base premium being so high anyway.

• EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    Which insurer is it and did they push you onto their 'claims management company'?
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 10th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    Which insurer is it and did they push you onto their 'claims management company'?
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    The one from October 2017 was 1st central.

The one from 2015 i'm not sure who the insurer was but on checking the emails the address is claims@ers.com

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    That other one (the 2015 one) was through Adrian Flux. The insurer turned out to be Equity Red Star.

Who would he chase for this one - Adrian Flux or E.R.S.?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,365Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin