Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 8th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,467Posts
    • 35,433Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th April 2018
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th April 2018 8th Apr 18 at 8:44 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

I have included a deep clean challenge this week. I thought as we are supposed to be heading into Spring, it would be nice if we did a bit of deep cleaning Obviously this is purely voluntary, you do not have to do it if you don't want to..

Killer Kitchen - Monday
    Level One
    Clear and wipe work surfaces
    Open the windows and let in the spring!
    Level Two
    Sweep and Mop the floor
    Clean the guncky filters and drawers from DW's, WM's etc
    Wipe the cupboard fronts, appliances and all those manky corners!!
    Level Three
    Wipe the table, replace cloth if needed
    Clean all those small appliances, wipe their home then put them back..
    Wipe the icky things out of the fridge.
    Extras
    • Clean oven/hob if you must.. *rolls eyes*
    • HHI .. with your clean iron!!
    • Clean windows and sills
    • Treat the pets for fleas!!! This is prime time for them to be developing an infestation.. the last thing you need in your house!

Deep clean challenge day one.. I do not want anyone straining themselves so if this is too much or not sensible because you'll hurt yourself don't do it!! Listen to your body.
    • Empty the cupboards and clean the entire insides, start with the worst cupboard!!.. shelves, everything.
    • Get rid of the chipped plates etc.. the chipped parts harbour germs of disgusting proportions as the pottery but it porous they have lots of places to hide.. revolting.. get rid!
    • Figure out what needs using up first and work it into your meal plan this week!
    • Clear clutter from shelves and wipe them over.. I want to see empty spaces and shiny shelves!!

Mad Tuesday - Living room, Hallway, Stairs
    Level One

Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
    Open the windows and let in some fresh air
    Level Two
    Vacuum floors and sofas
    Wipe and water neglected plants
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Level Three
    Vacuum under the furniture you can move
    Clean windows, pictures, mirrors etc.
    Clear a hotspot
    Vacuum hall and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!
    Extras
    • Update financial spreadsheets/accounts.. if you have none to do.. DO SOME FILING.. all that paperwork HAS a home!!
    • Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Wash any nets/curtains that need cleaning.. put up fresh ones!
    • Sort that corner full of shoes and coats and bags... I know you all put this off so Get it sorted.. before the proper nice weather hits!!

Deep clean challenge
    • Drag out all the furniture and clean the skirtings and all the woodwork
    • Change the pictures in the frames that you have been meaning to update forever!!
    • Put all the paperwork in one heap and sort through it
    • Sort out the magazines and newspapers and sling them in the recycling... if it's anything like mine I have my own magazine shop building up.
    • Scrub the manky marks off the carpet
    • Scrub the manky marks off the sofas

Study or other reception room & bathrooms - Wednesday
    Level One

Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
    Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floors
    Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
    Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
    Level Three
    Declutter and dust the pc desk
    Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
    Wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
    Clean the windows.
    Extras
    • Vacuum under movable furniture
    • HHI..
    • Deal with any calls etc that need doing
    • Clear a hotspot
    • Replace any dead toothbrushes and sponges

Deep clean challenge
    • Haul out the pc desk and deal with the destruction which lies beyond MSE land
    • Polish the cat & dust the menfolk
    • Wash the curtains/nets
    • Drag out the larger furniture you can manage and clean under and behind it.
    • Scoop all that hotspot into one heap.. and fling it in the bin.. keeping the bits you really have to, but put them away nicely.
    • Clean up any floor gibble

Master bedroom & landing - Thursday
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the spring!
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
    Air the duvet if the weather permits
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of..
    Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 33 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
    • Sort through that airing cupboard!!

Deep Clean Challenge
    • Sort through a pile of landing gibble
    • Sort your 'stash' in your bedroom.. you know the place that you stuff things and think.. yep.. I'll sort that later.. The one you hide presents in, yep we're all guilty of it me included!!!
    • Dive under your bed and drag out all the boxes and get them reorganised..
    • Find the floor.. not just a bit of it.. ALL of it!!!!!!!! and vacuum it
    • Wipe over the skirting boards

Friday - Childrens/spare rooms or a catchup
    Level One

Clear the floor
    Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have you hair done!!
    Level Two
    Strip the beds and wash those sheets.. and any duvets that need doing
    Flip the mattresses over
    Binbag dance
    Level Three
    Vacuum the floor
    Deweb and defluff the room
    Clean the windows
    Extras
    • Wash any curtains/throws/cushions etc that need it
    • Wipe sticky marks from walls and doors and skirting
    • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
    • Put the discs/videos in the correct boxes and books on shelves

Deep Clean Challenge
    • Wipe the bed frames down
    • Drag the junk out from behind wardrobes, chests of drawers and under the bed.. deal with it appropriately.. and that does not mean stuffing it back under!! lol
    • Clear, wipe declutter and make pretty any shelves
    • Wipe over the big furniture.. wardrobes etc
    • Make the clothes in the drawer all neat and tidy
    Last edited by Natty68; 13-04-2018 at 8:28 AM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 8
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Apr 18, 7:07 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 19,854 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Just DS and I up so far. I need to go chazza diving today, I have hardly any clothes that fit anymore and no coat that fits at all really hope I can find something in my size, canít afford new ATM.

DW unloaded, and I will shortly go and wash my face and put my war paint on. Feel like I need it today.

Will be back later have lovely days and I hope you all see some sun xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - £103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 14th Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 20,793 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Good morning all

Up at silly o'clock as the mutts needed a wee. Small and Tiny heard me downstairs so have got up and are now arguing over Lego Batman or Zootopia on the TV.

I have snuck back to bed with a cuppa

Promise to catch up on comments after brekkie x
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Apr 18, 7:49 AM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 121,676 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Bacon roll eaten
    Grand Prxi qually being watched

Off for a walk around a local car boot in a bit and it did NOT rain over night
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 37,852 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Valli I switched my alarm off but got up thinking it was 8.30am and I should really get up and get on. Got downstairs to find it was 7.30am. Feeling a bit sleepy and confused. More coffee required.

Heard DS1 being sick in the night. He only had a couple of drinks last night but even so he was in hospital seriously ill on Monday so it probably wasnt the best idea. He is supposed to be going fishing today so hope he is OK.

Oooh atb love a bit of chazza rummaging, hope you can get a proper look without the small people bothering you. There is a really posh town near us where the charity shops are really good. Mind you, I have just bought a new smart coat for work (ex M&S) from ebay for £8 delivered.

Right, need to shake off this grogginess before I go out cycling! Food and coffee I think. Want DH to get out of bed so I can get the sheets in the wash x
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 20,402 Posts
    • 231,951 Thanks
    Valli
    Went down to put a wash on. Pots have been washed. Not by me. Normal service *may* be resumed. Have washed class set of painting aprons, having soaked them in cold water first.

Rotten night - horrid dreams.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 49,762 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Congrats on the safe arrivals, Mrs MP. I love watching newly hatched chicks racing around, a real joy.

(((Hugs))) Valli. I found a quote the other day that made me think of you instantly. 'I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness.' Emily Dickinson

Ionafan.

Frantically busy here, very little time for flying but mostly I'm keeping things looking straight but for dusting. We're knee deep in the stuff. Mostly I'm out today, too, which means it isn't happening today, either.

Sorry I missed it, and I hope your birthday was fab, Narco.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 20,402 Posts
    • 231,951 Thanks
    Valli
    I found a quote the other day that made me think of you instantly. 'I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness.' Emily Dickinson
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    That's lovely I'mgoing to use that.

20 painting aprons drying on my line.
    Last edited by Valli; 14-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Apr 18, 10:06 AM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    I know (but thank you). I can imagine myself tracking the damn thing for the entire time. And completely freaking out if it disappears for a moment, as things tend to do when crossing into US airspace and upon their final approach - what can I say except I'm a geek who finds the flight and shipping trackers fascinating?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    I love them too.. I got way too excited at being at the front of 2 train crossings yesterday.. I even took pics.. OH threatened to buy me a greasy anorak. .. Oh... DD3 is delighted with her guitar, ukelele and keyboard she got for christmas.. she has everything set up in her new much bigger room.. she was so pleased with them all... so thank you

Beasties back to swimming today so thats half my day gone.. and I am flinging an arm chair and 18 glasses to my mothers afterwards.. I'm slurping my cuppa and emptying the pan cupboards.. I have 2.. so many pans.. wonder how many I can fling from in there.

I need to get my new slowcooker down.. I have a lump of gammon to throw in and a pile of veggies too I think and could possibly create soup from the juices.. I found my stick blender.

I have 3 ebeast sales to post.. £35 in my PP

soooo many busyings to be done!!! Here I am, sat with a cuppa.

oh poop.. I just remembered I heard a rodenty rustling last night so have a room to trash... bother... I hate going on a squeaker hunt!!
    Last edited by pigpen; 14-04-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    24/03/2018 £53974.15 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 19,854 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Back again

Chazza rummaging was a success but not for clothes for me! Got: DD some brand new Clarks shoes in her size; a board game; some crystal cava glasses (much needed, I have a tendency to wash up after a drink and break them so we only had one left ) and some jeans for DH.

DH and DS are out, DD playing and I have just pegged our bedding out and set the DW going again. Will go and mop the downstairs toilet shortly.

YL - Hope DS is ok and you're not too saddlesore later!
    Dizzy - my two were arguing over Zootropolis or Coraline earlier I chose the former as Coraline freaks me out!
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - £103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 121,676 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Car boot walked round, nothing bought very mse!
    Hoovered down stairs
    I have pulled out and power washed the bird aviary, it has been a dumping area for excess stuff from the greenhouse, took me 3 hours so far, it is currently drying.
    Next got to sort out what is going back / to the tip / car boot etc but I am also drying out.
    Sun, Sea
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 24,105 Posts
    • 95,044 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Oh well.

The promise of making today all about stuff I like got abandoned when the singer phoned up, hyperventilating about having the correct paperwork all in order for the tour. Himself has been on the phone to him for over an hour and, by the sounds of it, is being asked the same questions in a slightly different way ad infinitum. Considering he was still working on the stuff at 4.45am as he'd been asked to format it all in a slightly different way, which has now been superseded by new instructions, I'm not hugely pleased about this (or that I've just found out I've been spelling superseded wrongly forever - it's not 'superceded' as I thought - which really irritates me).

I've had one ropey coffee and my first cup of dubious tasting tea has been placed beside me.

I know that, thanks to the overnight governmental lobbing of munitions at various locations overseas, it's probably not the best few days in which to be travelling, but when my entire life appears to have become

Get up, sit on the settee whilst he does/talks about stuff related to my day job but with travel to amazing (which I don't get to go to) and not so amazing places (which I do get to go to),

Go out and do my day job and then sit on the settee or, for the more exciting moments,

Go out and replicate what I do in my day job during my days off for free and then come back and sit on the settee,

it gets me wondering when I get to do the Really Amazing Stuff Other People Do.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 113,301 Thanks
    LameWolf
    busy morning and we start well by getting up at 8:20 instead of 7:30.... oops.... I can sleep through my alarm, or turn it off in my sleep again! Time to change my wakey-up noise!
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I need to find something I will hear without my hearing aids in (they go in their charging unit at night) because currently, even if I'm already awake, I do not hear any of the three alarms we have in the bedroom - these being the alarm clock, my PDA and my phone.

Sorry I've been awol for a couple of days - it's been a bit manic here to say the least. But at least Mr LW got a clean bill of health from the respiratory consultant. So basically the cough is down to some external cause (probably fallout from the Bletchley incinerator) aggravating the scar tissue he has on his lungs from having double pneumonia when he was 9 years old. However he does NOT have copd, or the nasty c or anything like that.

Jazee belated congratulations of getting the job.

Narc0 belated Hoppy Birdday.

I'm off to try the Bathroom Blitz next.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 20,402 Posts
    • 231,951 Thanks
    Valli
    Lamewolf - great news!

Thank you Honey Bear
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    LW... you need one of these...

chair gone.. other tat from the front gone. 18 glasses gone

Dot vacuumed. (she vacuumed floor, not we vacuumed her!)
    3 parcels posted
    salad and fruit purchased

dinner done and scoffed.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 51,666 Thanks
    Jazee
    LW great news about Mr LW.
    JoJo this other person doesn!!!8217;t do amazing things. When I look back in my diaries most days are the same. Gardening, flying, dog walks, paid stuff. But there is the odd special occasion which means it!!!8217;s all worthwhile.

Today has been, gardening, flying, dog walks and wedding planning.

Have a great evening everyone.
    Savings 2018: £1288.56
    Garden spends 2018 - £54.17 (compost, solar lights, begonia plants)

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 36,682 Posts
    • 472,355 Thanks
    pigpen
    I never do anything.. amazing or otherwise.. I'm so boring I can lull an insomniac support group to sleep with one glance!

2 smalls in the bath.. dirty grots.. I wonder if Twinkle will still have sharpie on her leg when she gets out.. it has been gradually fading for over a week.. and now she's poooped in the bath... pmsl
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 121,676 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Evening

Tip run done
    Stuff I want re stored
    Dinner done
    Dw repacked so everything gets in there
    Sun, Sea
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Apr 18, 6:50 AM
    • 9,622 Posts
    • 121,676 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Having a lie in
    Looks like it is gonig to be sunny and warm here today, but it did rain over night

Going to go some ironing.
    Sun, Sea
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 15th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 30,731 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning x

Went back to teaching yesterday. I wasn!!!8217;t sure how it was going to go with my back pain. Surprisingly it helped and back is a little better.

DH has poked holes in back lawn as we have had a lake out there.

Worktops wiped

I have been researching a new uni city. Ds1 has been offered a conditional place to do a masters course in September. Need to work out finance for it. Course is £6500. Sf loan is about £10600 but accommodation are mostly over £5000. He is going to try to get a job if he can fit one in.
    I!!!8217;m very proud of him though.

We are off soon to the park for a P.O. kemon event then popping to dancepops!!!8217;.

Belated birthday wishes Narco x

LW so pleased with Mr LW news. x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 15th Apr 18, 9:44 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all
    It's been a frantic couple of days, but as ever, not filled with amazing things, just boring tedium.

Fab news, LW, about Mr LW.
    Belated happy birthday, Narc0.

I've been rubbish on the slinky challenge this week, with a lb gained. Hardly surprising I guess when I went out for lunch (salad), and dinner (chips!) with friends. Maybe it was the chips...

DD is safely home, and now fretting about dreaded exams.
    DH is clanking around outside. As we seem to spend a lot of time bickering atm, that is probably no bad thing

I managed to fit a walk in yesterday instead of just sitting in the car waiting for DD at the stables. It was a lovely warm spring day. Today we are back in mist, and rain forecast. So much for the planned gardening. Oh well, guess what - I still have an ironing pile to occupy me should I get REALLY bored.

It's back to school here tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a return to routine - and then flying properly. Next week however is already filled with appointments and errands.

Valli - that is a lovely, touching sign off. X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter