Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 8th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,468Posts
    • 35,469Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th April 2018
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 9th April 2018 8th Apr 18 at 8:44 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

I have included a deep clean challenge this week. I thought as we are supposed to be heading into Spring, it would be nice if we did a bit of deep cleaning Obviously this is purely voluntary, you do not have to do it if you don't want to..

Killer Kitchen - Monday
    Level One
    Clear and wipe work surfaces
    Open the windows and let in the spring!
    Level Two
    Sweep and Mop the floor
    Clean the guncky filters and drawers from DW's, WM's etc
    Wipe the cupboard fronts, appliances and all those manky corners!!
    Level Three
    Wipe the table, replace cloth if needed
    Clean all those small appliances, wipe their home then put them back..
    Wipe the icky things out of the fridge.
    Extras
    • Clean oven/hob if you must.. *rolls eyes*
    • HHI .. with your clean iron!!
    • Clean windows and sills
    • Treat the pets for fleas!!! This is prime time for them to be developing an infestation.. the last thing you need in your house!

Deep clean challenge day one.. I do not want anyone straining themselves so if this is too much or not sensible because you'll hurt yourself don't do it!! Listen to your body.
    • Empty the cupboards and clean the entire insides, start with the worst cupboard!!.. shelves, everything.
    • Get rid of the chipped plates etc.. the chipped parts harbour germs of disgusting proportions as the pottery but it porous they have lots of places to hide.. revolting.. get rid!
    • Figure out what needs using up first and work it into your meal plan this week!
    • Clear clutter from shelves and wipe them over.. I want to see empty spaces and shiny shelves!!

Mad Tuesday - Living room, Hallway, Stairs
    Level One

Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
    Open the windows and let in some fresh air
    Level Two
    Vacuum floors and sofas
    Wipe and water neglected plants
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Level Three
    Vacuum under the furniture you can move
    Clean windows, pictures, mirrors etc.
    Clear a hotspot
    Vacuum hall and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!
    Extras
    • Update financial spreadsheets/accounts.. if you have none to do.. DO SOME FILING.. all that paperwork HAS a home!!
    • Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs
    • Wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Wash any nets/curtains that need cleaning.. put up fresh ones!
    • Sort that corner full of shoes and coats and bags... I know you all put this off so Get it sorted.. before the proper nice weather hits!!

Deep clean challenge
    • Drag out all the furniture and clean the skirtings and all the woodwork
    • Change the pictures in the frames that you have been meaning to update forever!!
    • Put all the paperwork in one heap and sort through it
    • Sort out the magazines and newspapers and sling them in the recycling... if it's anything like mine I have my own magazine shop building up.
    • Scrub the manky marks off the carpet
    • Scrub the manky marks off the sofas

Study or other reception room & bathrooms - Wednesday
    Level One

Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
    Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floors
    Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
    Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
    Level Three
    Declutter and dust the pc desk
    Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
    Wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
    Clean the windows.
    Extras
    • Vacuum under movable furniture
    • HHI..
    • Deal with any calls etc that need doing
    • Clear a hotspot
    • Replace any dead toothbrushes and sponges

Deep clean challenge
    • Haul out the pc desk and deal with the destruction which lies beyond MSE land
    • Polish the cat & dust the menfolk
    • Wash the curtains/nets
    • Drag out the larger furniture you can manage and clean under and behind it.
    • Scoop all that hotspot into one heap.. and fling it in the bin.. keeping the bits you really have to, but put them away nicely.
    • Clean up any floor gibble

Master bedroom & landing - Thursday
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the spring!
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
    Air the duvet if the weather permits
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of..
    Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 33 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
    • Sort through that airing cupboard!!

Deep Clean Challenge
    • Sort through a pile of landing gibble
    • Sort your 'stash' in your bedroom.. you know the place that you stuff things and think.. yep.. I'll sort that later.. The one you hide presents in, yep we're all guilty of it me included!!!
    • Dive under your bed and drag out all the boxes and get them reorganised..
    • Find the floor.. not just a bit of it.. ALL of it!!!!!!!! and vacuum it
    • Wipe over the skirting boards

Friday - Childrens/spare rooms or a catchup
    Level One

Clear the floor
    Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have you hair done!!
    Level Two
    Strip the beds and wash those sheets.. and any duvets that need doing
    Flip the mattresses over
    Binbag dance
    Level Three
    Vacuum the floor
    Deweb and defluff the room
    Clean the windows
    Extras
    • Wash any curtains/throws/cushions etc that need it
    • Wipe sticky marks from walls and doors and skirting
    • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
    • Put the discs/videos in the correct boxes and books on shelves

Deep Clean Challenge
    • Wipe the bed frames down
    • Drag the junk out from behind wardrobes, chests of drawers and under the bed.. deal with it appropriately.. and that does not mean stuffing it back under!! lol
    • Clear, wipe declutter and make pretty any shelves
    • Wipe over the big furniture.. wardrobes etc
    • Make the clothes in the drawer all neat and tidy
    Last edited by Natty68; 13-04-2018 at 8:28 AM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 6
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 12th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    • 2,639 Posts
    • 40,469 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Well done Jazee!!

Goodness Pigpen - your cupboards sound as bad as ours! Isn't it nice when they're done though (not that I'd know that feeling, can just imagine).

Done a few bits and pieces around here; maybe not quite as much as yesterday but never mind that.

Nice easy tea tonight - fishfingers, chips and peas.
    H2H challenge: 2 hours 15 mins
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 4,966 Posts
    • 49,814 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Hi Mrs MP! How lovely that you're enjoying all the extra hours and you're eating into your stash as well.

Huge congratulations, Jazee!
    Kelpie had me trundling him around the block at 2.00 am, 4.00 am and 7.00 am and then while I was at the Foodbank he managed to get downstairs and disgraced himself on the new carpet. *sigh* I think it may have worked it's way, whatever it was, through his system. Hope so.
    Another pile of paperwork has been sorted, all the letters are written and I was feeling a bit better about things until I found a note from OH on my desk from the OPG that tells me I've managed to spell my surname wrongly on the Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney. Of all the things to get wrong!??!

Three loads through the WM and out on the line.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 12-04-2018 at 5:47 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 37,862 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Congratulations Jazee x

Madly busy week DS1 on the mend, DS2 fretting about college and exams. I have handed in my notice at job no. 2 today. The plan is to take exams which will allow me to put myself forward for promotion in job no. 1 at some unspecified time in the future. In the short term we are going to be much worse off so its down to DH to fill the gap as best he can.

I have ummed and aaahed about this decision for a long time but suddenly it feels like the right thing to do.

No flying here. Nothing. But there is food simmering on the hob and the kitchen and bathroom are reasonably presentable.

Back to paid stuff.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 12th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 19,887 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    YL - What a big decision for you love. I am pleased you have made the decision, good for you xx

Jazee - well done!!

Piggers - I have serious Le Creuset envy

DH cooking dinner, fire roaring (in April - WTF?!) and I am sat faffing on here
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - 103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 36,688 Posts
    • 472,407 Thanks
    pigpen

Piggers - I have serious Le Creuset envy
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    I have 2 of the biggest roasting dishes too. We got OHs sister one of the huge casserole dishes and cast iron trivet and she left it when she left her husband.. I was not happy, I would have loved it. I'm getting the trivet next.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    24/03/2018 53974.15 (5.15% int.)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 9,631 Posts
    • 121,744 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Jazee well done xx

YL you do what is right for you, xx

Dinner done
    Been to a book exchange.
    Green house still not done

What has happened to my screen everything is in the middle, but yet the screen size is the same, most odd.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 15,460 Posts
    • 197,557 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Well done Jaycee

Absolute best thing about today, the tenth egg hatched!!!!! We've got an incubator in work and all ten chicks have hatched this week.
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 12-04-2018 at 6:40 PM.
    grocery challenge April budget 400 spent 108
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far 1400
    read your books challenge-currently on After you
    cherish all living things
    17in 2018challenge 3/18
    • froddington
    • By froddington 12th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6,628 Posts
    • 93,632 Thanks
    froddington
    Evening! I've spent the day exploring SS Great Britain and the Brunel Museum No flying although I did watch some children having fun scrubbing the deck on the ship - not sure that counts though!!! In my defence, the hotel room doesn't need any flying!

Jazee - yay! Congratulations

pigpen - wow! you'll have nothing left soon!

Have a good evening all xx
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2018 100
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 36,688 Posts
    • 472,407 Thanks
    pigpen

pigpen - wow! you'll have nothing left soon!
    Originally posted by froddington
    that's the idea.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 12th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 35,839 Thanks
    ionafan
    Great news, Jazee - well done

Congratulations on taking such a bold step, YL

Brilliant decluttering, pigpen

Froddy, supervising the troops scrubbing the deck is definitely flying (even if by proxy )

Fayolle, would you like to come and do my ironing too? (but I only have one cotton tea towel and one of DH's cotton shirts in the pile )

Honey Bare, what a strange thing to do See what I did there? as Bossy used to say - missing you Bossy

Today I have
    - taken Rosie to the kennels for 3 nights while I'm away at a conference: she got all excited when we arrived and practically ran in ahead of me to say hello to the kennels manager, then she was off without a backward glance. She loves going there now
    - sorted out the transfer of one of my ISAs
    - done bits of shopping in town while I was there, including a couple of nice tops which were in the sale
    - painted the ensuite ceiling
    - gone round the new door frame and all the way up the stairs on both sides with caulk to fill the gaps - the stairs look so much better
    - fielded a phonecall from a friend who helps run the toddler group, to say that she has got a fungal infection on her hands so couldn't help today. I had to quickly find crafty things to make lambs (paper plates, cotton wool, etc), but in the end the weather was so bad that only 3 of my helpers - two of them with their baby - turned up. As setting up involves a lot of furniture moving, I was a bit disappointed, but at least we all got away a bit earlier than usual.
    - painted the second coat of emulsion in the spare bedroom where it was needed (especially around the new door frame), cleaned the bedroom and ensuite, and made up the bed for a German visitor on Sunday
    - invited my suicidal friend for tea, found enough stew in the freezer for 3 of us and some ready-cooked new potatoes in the fridge, so only had to cook a few fresh veg; she brought pudding for us all
    - touched up the emulsion on the staircase walls where it was particularly bad
    - done WM/TDx5
    - re-made our bed

DH's hip is causing him great pain so that he found it very difficult to do the hoovering, but the whole house looks much better and fit for our guest, even if I haven't had time to gloss the new door and frame in her room

I still have to prepare something for Sunday and pack my weekend bag (including about 10 German film DVDs that I am decluttering and some books from college that I need to read), so had better get cracking again now that I've sat for 10 minutes to drink a cuppa. I shall need to leave the house by 07.45 tomorrow, to drive past Cathedral City, then back there again with some of the German delegates for a morning of sightseeing. The conference proper starts at 5.00 pm.

If I don't get back on this thread, I'll see you on the new one on Sunday. (((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    24/04/2018: 11 st 2.5 lb
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 12th Apr 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 22,232 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Jazee well done.
    Team flying today before the arrival of my mum, Mr N flies to Classic FM against me whistling 'Suddenly Seymour' from Little Shop of Horrors.....interrupted sadly by surprise visit from Mr N's ex work colleague, currently off sick with stress. He was in a real state so we had to sit and listen for an hour or so, don't begrudge it but it meant the flying was a little less pristine.
    Made a lemon polenta cake.
    Filled bird feeders.
    Collected mum from bus station.
    Flying likely to be neglected for the next few days....after tomorrow I'll be too old anyway lol.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 12th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 35,839 Thanks
    ionafan

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Narc0!

Fast running out of steam here, but nearly maxed out on flying today
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 13th Apr 18, 6:46 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 20,793 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Happy birthday Narc0 - 21 again?

Ionafan - your list of things achieved makes me feel utterly inferior. I only managed two hours of filing, shredding and sorting of paperwork. I now have enough paper to fill three bin bags

More filing planned today and a start on my craft stash. Need to condense it down considerably.

Later, taters x
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Apr 18, 7:29 AM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 19,887 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

happy birthday Narco!

Currently enjoying a cuppa in bed. Last day of school holidays here and yet more grey, damp weather. The kiddies can come volunteering with me. My friend is popping in for a cheeky glass of vino later so I will look forward to that.

First job for today is to load the WM and clean the woodburner. Spent last night scouring fleabay for Le Creuset inspired by Piggers I only have the casserole pot and would love more.

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 17.4.18 - 103,870
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 13th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 35,839 Thanks
    ionafan
    Having woken up at some ridiculously unearthly hour, I have cleared my ironing pile this morning so Fayolle, you can cross my earlier invitation off your list

Dizzy, I am always amazed at what I can do when I put my mind to it. Trouble is, I'm usually shattered next day, but this weekend I need to pace myself. At least I know I've left the house in a good state - wonder if DH will keep it that way until Sunday afternoon?

Have a great day, Narc0

I'm off. Byeeeeeeee......
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Apr 18, 7:33 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 51,708 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Enjoy your conference Iona. I'm missing Bossy too.

Boob squashing today and then weather dependent gardening. Dog walks, dailies, and hoping to get more info on new job so I can research etc.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: 1288.56
    Garden spends 2018 - 90.17 (compost, solar lights, begonia plants)

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 13th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 15,460 Posts
    • 197,557 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Going in early today to coo at the chicks and need a chat with someone. Hoping to get the last of the drawstrings in during my lunch break ds2 is going Manchester tonight to see frank turner so I'm slightly envious but have been promised photos details and mercy stand info.
    Everything is reasonably tidy here and even ironing isn't much so will have a quick fly over the weekend to get on top

Hugs to all who need them.
    Happy birthday narco.
    grocery challenge April budget 400 spent 108
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far 1400
    read your books challenge-currently on After you
    cherish all living things
    17in 2018challenge 3/18
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 9,631 Posts
    • 121,744 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Happy Birthday Nacro

Love the sound of new chicks MrsMP hope they do well

WM is on
    Kitchen floor is done
    Shopping list done

Grey overhead here, but currently not raining, ............it really needs to dry ot around here, the fields are flooded, garden sodden
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 51,708 Thanks
    Jazee
    Forgot to say Happy Birthday to Narco.

Dog walk done and basic dailies are done.
    Savings 2018: 1288.56
    Garden spends 2018 - 90.17 (compost, solar lights, begonia plants)

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 36,688 Posts
    • 472,407 Thanks
    pigpen
    ATB... sorry! lol.. If you find big black casserole cast iron .. I neeeeeeeed one.. you may let me know.. I'm seriously trying to resist buying 6 mugs.

busy morning and we start well by getting up at 8:20 instead of 7:30.... oops.... I can sleep through my alarm, or turn it off in my sleep again! Time to change my wakey-up noise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,760Posts Today

8,782Users online

Martin's Twitter