Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Rebecca01
    • By Rebecca01 8th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 671Posts
    • 1,021Thanks
    Anyway around this situation? Debt and house
    • #1
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    Anyway around this situation? Debt and house 8th Apr 18 at 7:13 PM
    Due to a failed business with his parent oh has a court order to
    Pay back £60k which he is at £200 a month.
    Now there maybe more as his parent is not paying her share back. Joint debt.
    Anyway thats not what I am hoping for advice on.

    If I were to buy a home , all in my name as his credit is obviously bad. How can we both protect ourselves fairly if the company were to go for bankruptcy?

    If it was all in my name but he has contributed for 10 years but has no equity as it all in my name . How does he trust I just donít take it for myself if we split up?

    What is the best way to protect us both or is it all down to hope and trust?
Page 1
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 8th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    midnight express
    • #2
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    You need to sign a declaration of trust.
    • Rebecca01
    • By Rebecca01 8th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:47 PM

    Would they take his share if made bankrupt?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 14,361 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    You need sound legal advice as there may be a beneficial interest in the property for him, should the company go Bankrupt, try Legal beagles, Click on the link in my signature below.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
  • National Debtline
    • #5
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • #5
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    Hi Rebecca,

    If this is a limited company debt, and the debt is solely in the companies name, with no personal guarantee, then personal assets should not normally be taken into consideration. However, as you already seem aware, this is a complicated situation and there are a lot of factors to consider. I would agree that you may need some legal advice about the property, and I would suggest speaking to Business Debtline for more advice about the company, liability, liquidation/ bankruptcy etc. They are available on 0800 197 6026.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,396Posts Today

5,063Users online

Martin's Twitter