Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 16,026Posts
    • 12,078Thanks
    hollydays
    Aldi sewing machine. What does anyone think of it?
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    Aldi sewing machine. What does anyone think of it? 8th Apr 18 at 6:45 PM
    Aldi has a sewing machine on offer at the moment for about 70.
    Has anyone bought one or have any constructive opinions on it.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/so-crafty-sewing-machine/p/095785200177400
    Thanks
    Last edited by hollydays; 08-04-2018 at 6:48 PM.
Page 1
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    Without trying it I would say don't bother. I love Aldi, my supermarket of choice, but I couldn't honestly say the best value for money for a sewing machine. Why?

Well, first off, as soon as you have any problem at all with it, there's a low chance that parts will be available and no repair person will know anything about it if it has a 'Crafty whatever' badge on it.

If you only want to sew thin craft cottons you might be lucky, but if you want to turn up your jeans and so on, then you might struggle.

These reasons are the ones that came first to mind.

So what to do instead if you want a sewing machine? Ring a sewing machine shop, one that does its own repairs. Sewers typically like to upgrade their machine at every available opportunity. (I only do it if there's a reason, but then I sew for a living!) so the shop will probably have machines there to suit all budgets. It's not like buying a used car, you will get more for your money. Especially if you want a machine for every day sewing.

Decide on the features you want. A decent shop will let you try machines so you find one to suit.

The advantage of getting a second hand machine from a reputable supplier, is that you will get a machine that is set up and ready to go and a lot more machine for your money.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 8th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 22,934 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    I should firstly say that I haven't seen this actual machine, so what follows is general advice. I'm going to disagree slightly with PurpleIvy, I respect the fact that you sew for a living and you know more about machines than I do, and probably have higher standards.

For an entry-level machine, I think this looks good value. It includes three feet plus a buttonhole foot. The mention of 60 patterns is a bit misleading, looking at the picture of the machine there are 12 different stitches which can then also be used with double needles, and the four-stepbuttonhole. Nonetheless if you want to get started on sewing and do some basic projects, I think this would fit the bill. I take the point about repairs, but I would guess it uses parts the same as those made by one of the major manufacturers. I started out with a basic machine from John Lewis - still available for around 100 - and it was quite similar to this, and served me very well till I upgraded.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Apr 18, 7:01 AM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,359 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:01 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:01 AM
    I get the impression that the machine is for crafters, or light sewers who are interested in building up their skills / running up prototypes rather than any kind of industrial stitching.

Having said that, the reviews are good and being sold out online indicates there is a demand for it.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 16,026 Posts
    • 12,078 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    Thanks very much for all the replies which has really helped me. I!!!8217;m not looking for it for crafting, but for the odd clothing alteration or making curtains.
    I!!!8217;m still a little undecided but the price is good.
    Thanks again.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    John Lewis entry level machines are often Janome ones, Janome is a good brand.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 9th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 7,398 Thanks
    tootallulah
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    I agree, get a 2nd hand quality machine from a sewing machine shop, curtain sewing is workhorse sewing, you o need a basic strong, mechanical machine. You can get a 2nd hand Bernina for 70-100 and it will last you a lifetime.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 28th April 16,500.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 16,026 Posts
    • 12,078 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    I do prefer the idea of a second hand one and being able to get support from the seller. I guess it!!!8217;s down to price. I!!!8217;ll certainly visit some sewing machine shops. Thanks everyone
    Last edited by hollydays; 10-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 10th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    halogen
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    I got a 2nd hand one from a sewing machine shop a few years ago but I have to say I use my Aldi\lidi one much more. It's much better behaved
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    John Lewis entry level machines are often Janome ones, Janome is a good brand.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    I'll second this - I got my wife a Janome for 20 more (but from Hobbycraft, not John Lewis)
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 16,026 Posts
    • 12,078 Thanks
    hollydays
    Just to update. I got a recommendation on my local cafe for an independent sewing machine shop in a less than salubrious part of the adjoining county and I have just bought a brand new janome 217-S
    from him. 99 with a 2 year guarantee

This type
    https://www.britishsewingcentre.co.uk/products/janome-216-s?variant=17473412228&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8pPjq9mv2g IVjrftCh2PKAbnEAQYASABEgLO-PD_BwE
    Very happy
    Thanks for the advice all.and particularly for the persons who mentioned janome as I was not familiar with the name
    Now I can make use of all my charity shop fabric finds.
    Last edited by hollydays; 10-04-2018 at 1:28 PM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 22,934 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Fantastic! Don't forget there's a Sewing thread on here, a bit quiet lately but I'm getting my sewing mojo back now Spring is approaching. Glad you found a machine.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 10th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 7,398 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Happy sewing I hope you really enjoy your new machine, Janomes are great.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 28th April 16,500.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,134Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin