Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 8th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Tragen
    DVLA FOI request for complete list of cars I have owned
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    DVLA FOI request for complete list of cars I have owned 8th Apr 18 at 4:20 PM
    I wonder if anyone has done this?

I would like to know what information the DVLA holds on me, in particular, every car I have owned (at least 20) and when, just because I cannot remember some of the registrations and would like to look them up.

I am currently living in Peru, so I guess my real question is, will I have a problem receiving the information?
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 6,540 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Strange question, contact the DVLA .
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 8th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

I guess a subject access request is appropriate. Not sure if this would come back with what you want though.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 8th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    They wont be able to provide a list of all the vehicles you have owned, but they might be able to provide a list of those you've been the registered keeper of.
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 8th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Tragen
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    Strange question, contact the DVLA .
    Originally posted by DUTR
    What do you think is strange about it?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    The DPA may prevent them from releasing personal data outside the UK.

Registered keeper info is not cross-referenced to driving licences, so you'd need to provide all your addresses over the period in question, with dates. And, almost certainly, some proof of ID. Even then, they may not keep the data beyond a few years.
    • Tragen
    • By Tragen 8th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Tragen
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    provide all your addresses over the period in question, with dates. And, almost certainly, some proof of ID.
    Originally posted by Car 54

Thanks that is a useful suggestion.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 8th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 6,540 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    What do you think is strange about it?
    Originally posted by Tragen
    I just do, due to data retention policy, I doubt they would keep data longer than necessary.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 9th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    I just do, due to data retention policy, I doubt they would keep data longer than necessary.
    So do I. As well as that, I doubt they have the ability to mine the data even if they have it. You would need a unique identifier (such as your driving licence number) to be associated with the vehicles that have been registered to you. And there is no such identifier.

If your name is Joe Bloggs there must be thousands of "Joe Bloggs" on their database so they cannot identify your vehicles from that. Similarly with your address (even if you have only the one) and your Date of Birth. They might be able to narrow you down with your name, address and date of birth, but that's by no means a certainty and i expect they would simply decline to try.
    Last edited by TooManyPoints; 09-04-2018 at 3:12 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    So do I. As well as that, I doubt they have the ability to mine the data even if they have it. You would need a unique identifier (such as your driving licence number) to be associated with the vehicles that have been registered to you. And there is no such identifier.

If your name is Joe Bloggs there must be thousands of "Joe Bloggs" on their database so they cannot identify your vehicles from that. Similarly with your address (even if you have only the one) and your Date of Birth. They might be able to narrow you down with your name, address and date of birth, but that's by no means a certainty and i expect they would simply decline to try.
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    But your date of birth isnít on a V5.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 9th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    But your date of birth isn!!!8217;t on a V5
    Indeed it is not Andy. Thanks for finding a hole in my "thinking out loud".

Yet further doubt that what the OP wants can be accomplished.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Indeed it is not Andy. Thanks for finding a hole in my "thinking out loud".

Yet further doubt that what the OP wants can be accomplished.
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    The wonít have records of his early cars anyway, unless theyíre still registered.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 9th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 12,746 Posts
    • 11,432 Thanks
    jimjames
    Originally posted by DUTR
    It really depends on what data. You can get a full listing of owners of a car - I've done it for several classics I've owned which go back to mid 1980s. Not sure if their systems allow a search the other way by owner - probably not as name isn't unique so even if their system allows it they'd probably have to do it by address and dates of residence too
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    datostar
    I doubt there'll be any records at all from before the setting up of the DVLA. Prior to that there was no national recording system at all. Local Councils issued registrations and kept the records and you had to know the registration number before being able to check who was the owner from the relevant Council.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Car 54
    I doubt there'll be any records at all from before the setting up of the DVLA. Prior to that there was no national recording system at all. Local Councils issued registrations and kept the records and you had to know the registration number before being able to check who was the owner from the relevant Council.
    Originally posted by datostar
    ... whereas today you don't have to know the reg. number?
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    datostar
    ... whereas today you don't have to know the reg. number?
    Yes, you do indeed, but all records are held centrally at the DVLA so there is a single point to check. Prior to that, the last 2 letters in the registration indicated which town or county had issued it, e.g. ABC 123. BC would have been the issuing authority and a rather long list would indicate where it was. There is a vestige of this now in that the first 2 letters of current registrations are regionally based.

Back to the original post, the OP presumably doesn't know the registration numbers of all the cars he has ever owned. If any of those cars were never taxed under the DVLA regime he will have no chance of tracing them.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yes, you do indeed, but all records are held centrally at the DVLA so there is a single point to check. Prior to that, the last 2 letters in the registration indicated which town or county had issued it, e.g. ABC 123. BC would have been the issuing authority and a rather long list would indicate where it was. There is a vestige of this now in that the first 2 letters of current registrations are regionally based.

Back to the original post, the OP presumably doesn't know the registration numbers of all the cars he has ever owned. If any of those cars were never taxed under the DVLA regime he will have no chance of tracing them.
    Originally posted by datostar
    No, you donít.

You can search the Police National Computer for vehicles registered at an address.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Car 54
    No, you donít.

You can search the Police National Computer for vehicles registered at an address.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Not all of us have access to the PNC.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Not all of us have access to the PNC.
    Just one example, your insurance company can do it from the insurance database.

You don!!!8217;t need to know the reg number.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 11th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    datostar
    No, you donít.

Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Indeed, but the PNC links to the DVLA database for that information. If vehicles are not on the DVLA database they're not recorded via the PNC either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,017Users online

Martin's Twitter