Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 8th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,838Posts
    • 1,557Thanks
    moonpenny
    Which carpet shampooer?
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    Which carpet shampooer? 8th Apr 18 at 3:07 PM
    I was thinking of buying the latest version of Vax Carpet shampooer but have just seen a presentation for Rug Doctor which looks pretty good.
    Looks like it leaves carpet pretty dry too.

Has anyone used either machine and which is best in your opinion?
    I need it to clean upholstery as well as carpets.
Page 1
    • betsie
    • By betsie 8th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    betsie
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    I have a bissel which I really like. It separates the clean and dirty water.
    Is like a hand held hoover so easy to use with tools for upholstery.
    • Pa Ja
    • By Pa Ja 8th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Pa Ja
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    Are you asking which machine is the best or which detergent to use?
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    moonpenny
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Are you asking which machine is the best or which detergent to use?
    Originally posted by Pa Ja
    Which machine is best.. Sorry for confusion
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 8th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 7,873 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    I have had very satisfactory results on carpet with a Vax but I can't compare it to a Rug Doctor as I have never used one.

I haven't used our Vax on upholstery although it does have the correct attachments.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    I have had many vax's (ok 3). They were all ok ish.

Have rented a rug doctor many times. Nothing beats it. But it is priced as such! I assume there are no cheap consumer models?

Currently after the water company reversed sewage up into my house and had to use my last vax to clean as they had nothing they got me a bissel and I find it better than the vax's but nowhere near the rug doctor.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 8th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    I have a Vax (Dual V model, I think). It's fine and does the job, but to my mind mind most domestic carpet cleaners are better for keeping clean carpets clean(er) than transforming really manky ones. I have used a hired Rug Doctor in the past and it was ok too - I think with the hire machines it can really depend on how new they are when you rent them and how well they've been looked after. I did find that it left the carpets a bit dryer than the Vax though, although there really wasn't a lot in it.
    Last edited by Callie22; 09-04-2018 at 7:42 AM.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 8th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 5,801 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    If you're buying a Bissel make sure you get some earplugs, I've got tinnitus from using mine.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    I have used several domestic machines over the years. The Vax has been best at cleaning/drying but not the most reliable. Currently on my third claim under the 6 year warranty it came with.
    All machines are noisy and do a reasonable job if taken slowly. I found with the vax (a dual v) that much less than the recommended amount of detergent is required and it is the rinsing cycle(s) that make the difference. Several non too wet rinse/dry cycles being best and then a thorough dry.
    I like the ability with the dual v to turn off the beaters to give maximum power to drying.

I guess commercial machines on rent give best performance but it is very handy to own a machine for accidental spills and the like.
    • Pa Ja
    • By Pa Ja 9th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Pa Ja
    There are so many variables; I'd be interested to see a comprehensive comparison between several carpet cleaners.

I own a Vax Rapide 2. I've had it for almost 6 yrs. Must have used it 15 times or so. Very Happy with it.
    A large glass of red wine fell on my new beige carpet ; this machine sooked it all up. You wouldn't even know it had happened.

Any half decent machine will keep your carpet clean and fresh dependent on detergent.
    I think people have unrealistic expectations. They expect a 'Wow' moment after cleaning the carpet. In reality though, if your carpet is generally looked after... You remove shoes at the door, vacuum daily, then you'll only vax a couple of times of year dependent on you own circumstances.

For any stubborn stains i use Dr Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover which comes with its own brush head.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Carrot007
    If you're buying a Bissel make sure you get some earplugs, I've got tinnitus from using mine.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Make/Model? Mine is quiet. Still the rugdoctor makes a racket. Still I guess that's why it cleans better.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Carrot007
    There are so many variables; I'd be interested to see a comprehensive comparison between several carpet cleaners.

I own a Vax Rapide 2. I've had it for almost 6 yrs. Must have used it 15 times or so. Very Happy with it.
    A large glass of red wine fell on my new beige carpet ; this machine sooked it all up. You wouldn't even know it had happened.

Any half decent machine will keep your carpet clean and fresh dependent on detergent.
    I think people have unrealistic expectations. They expect a 'Wow' moment after cleaning the carpet. In reality though, if your carpet is generally looked after... You remove shoes at the door, vacuum daily, then you'll only vax a couple of times of year dependent on you own circumstances.

For any stubborn stains i use Dr Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover which comes with its own brush head.
    Originally posted by Pa Ja
    Pretty much this. Home cleaners are good at upkeep and being used quickly in an emergency.

The rugdoctor will take an abused carpet and do a good job cleaning it. probably not needed if you use a cheaper cleaner often. Though there will become a point where it can do nothing too!
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 9th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 5,801 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Make/Model? Mine is quiet. Still the rugdoctor makes a racket. Still I guess that's why it cleans better.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    It's a 34T2E (a Which best buy at the time I bought it).
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 9th Apr 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    moonpenny
    Thanks everyone. Saw the Rug doctor machine on the Ideal shopping channel at 250 ish which I thought was on a par with the other makes.
    I'm really confused now which make to go for as there have been good points made for all of them.
    Carpets are not really dirty just need freshening up really (probably be shocked at the dirt when I do clean them)

After watching the demos on tv it doesn't say how to clean the edges of the carpet. Would it be with the tools?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 9th Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 7,873 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Thanks everyone. Saw the Rug doctor machine on the Ideal shopping channel at 250 ish which I thought was on a par with the other makes.
    I'm really confused now which make to go for as there have been good points made for all of them.
    Carpets are not really dirty just need freshening up really (probably be shocked at the dirt when I do clean them)

After watching the demos on tv it doesn't say how to clean the edges of the carpet. Would it be with the tools?
    Originally posted by moonpenny
    What model of Rug Doctor is that?

You could get a Vax for about 100 or less that should be fine for freshening up carpets.

My Vax goes very close to the room edges. I only use the tools for spot cleaning or areas such as around toilets and other sanitary ware where you can't get the full width of the Vax cleaner into.

My tips are:

Thoroughly vacuum before you use a carpet cleaner to get rid of as much dry dirt and debris as possible. Use the hose and tool attachment on the vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet edges.

Use far less shampoo than recommended and rinse with plain water more times than recommended as any remaining detergent quickly attracts more dirt.

Beware, using a carpet cleaner is hard work; they are heavier than vacuum cleaners and take far more effort to move around.

Yes, you will be shocked at the dirt a carpet cleaner collects even from what appears to be a clean carpet. All the dust and dirt in the air and on people's bodies, clothes and shoes etc settles there.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 09-04-2018 at 6:42 PM.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter