Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 8th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,435Posts
    • 3,021Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    Help choosing large car for large family
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    Help choosing large car for large family 8th Apr 18 at 2:44 PM
    Hi

Me and missus have 3 kids +4th on the way

Kids are (unborn) 7months 9years and 11years

So we need at least 6 seats

Budget 10-15k , second hand fine

Been today looking at all the obvious options Ford C-Max s max galaxy, seat Alhambra, vw sharan etc. Also looked at the 7 seater suv options with the +2 seats eg quashqai and outlander etc

Lots of nice cars but trouble is with any of them seats 6+7 are Ďupí in use the boot is tiny. Space for one pram and a shopping bag at best

Now times when we will have all 4 kids and be going somewhere together will be reasonably limited - weekend day trips / camping etc but itís precisely on these occasions we will need both the seats and the boot space

The missus is against actually getting a mini bus (although I quite liked the Hyundai i800)

Is there any options Iím missing ?

Anyone else in similar circumstances that can advise?

Nb with the youngest kids being age they are we need lots of ready access to 2 fitted iso seats

Ps. Did think about possibly getting a smaller 7seat like the cmax and then purchasing a roof box and bike rack so just accept limited boot room for day;day but get tooled up when adventure beckons
    Left is never right but I always am.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 19,918 Posts
    • 15,625 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    An ex-colleague with a large number of children bought a Mazda Bongo in order to be able to fit them all in and still have some room for luggage.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 8th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    DS bought a Honda FRV, 6 seats and a boot in a normal size car. He also has a roof box for when they go away.
    This will cost far less than your budget, proper MSE!!!!
    Wonder if there is a more recent car with this seating arrangement?
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 8th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    kev25v6
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    I!!!8217;d go straight for the VW Transporter, 9 seats and plenty of boot space too
    • Nutter1979
    • By Nutter1979 9th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nutter1979
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    Hi,

We've got 4 kids too and after many years with a VW Touran + Roof Box we have recently changed to a 9 Seater Transporter plus a permanent bike rack on the back.

We can only get 4 bikes on the rack but we can get a further 2 in the boot.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 17,198 Posts
    • 15,508 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    Multiple seats plus non-trivial bootspace is inevitably going to mean a physically substantial vehicle. Going vanwards is by far and away your most likely option for reasonably-priced success.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 9th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    Kia Sorento 7 seater AWD would be my vote, get on a roof box and are reasonable in price and running cos.
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804085340359?make=KIA&model=SORENTO&logcode=p
    "We only have one world, But we live in different worlds"- Mark Knopfler Brothers in arms, Miss you gramps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter