Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jobseeker2018
    • By jobseeker2018 8th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jobseeker2018
    Moving to London?
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:05 PM
    Moving to London? 8th Apr 18 at 2:05 PM
    I currently live in a regional city. The type of position I need to further my career is rare here if not non-existent. There are more opportunities for me in London. I have never worked in London but have been been there for courses etc. My main concern is around cost of living.

Any advice for moving to London for work? or has someone made the move and can share their experience?
Page 2
    • Detroit
    • By Detroit 11th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Detroit
    Or he could rent a place like mine for a lot more. Itís beautiful, central, on the water, and a great location for bars and restaurants.

Itís expensive here for a reason, people want to live here, and there are jobs that make it all worthwhile.

A graduate in an investment bank will start on £60,000+, for example.

Yes, people need to think carefully, but like I did, you can turn up here with just a couple of changes of clothes and make your fortune.
    Originally posted by John-K
    And the streets really are paved with gold too!

Put your hands up.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 8,033 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    3. Be prepared to share a house/flat!
    Originally posted by Toucan_toucan
    This alone would be enough to put me off. The very thought makes me shudder. I don't know how people stand it past about 25. The London housing situation is just horrific.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 12th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Or he could rent a place like mine for a lot more. Itís beautiful, central, on the water, and a great location for bars and restaurants.

Itís expensive here for a reason, people want to live here, and there are jobs that make it all worthwhile.

A graduate in an investment bank will start on £60,000+, for example.

Yes, people need to think carefully, but like I did, you can turn up here with just a couple of changes of clothes and make your fortune.
    Originally posted by John-K
    Nice to see that you single out a job that is £25k above the London average to try and validate your point. All the plus points that you have stated are available elsewhere by the way for a lot less, and you can be better off doing it...
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    And the streets really are paved with gold too!
    Originally posted by Detroit
    Yes, they are. Itís a city where you can arrive knowing no-one, without anything to your name, and make your fortune.

This makes it so very strange that Tower Hamlets and other boroughs are so full of people whose families have spent a life out of work.

Itís almost as though you can succeed or fail in the very same city based on the decisions that you make...
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Nice to see that you single out a job that is £25k above the London average to try and validate your point. All the plus points that you have stated are available elsewhere by the way for a lot less, and you can be better off doing it...
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Well yes, I pointed out that there are brilliant jobs, I!!!8217;d hardly point out that you can work in KFC here, as you can do that anywhere.

May I ask, you seem to see the worst in every situation, has that actually served you well? You come across as a real misery, ai!!!8217;m afraid to say, and that tends to be a bit limiting.

The fact is, it!!!8217;s idiotic to say that you have to have a bad life here. You can have a phenomenal one in the right career.
    Last edited by John-K; 12-04-2018 at 7:15 PM.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 13th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ja7188
    Does it absolutely have to be London, rather than another big city? Perhaps similar opportunities will exist in Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester etc. where the cost of living will be a lot less...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin