Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 8th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 28Thanks
    ecclesto
    Placement of sewer drains
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    Placement of sewer drains 8th Apr 18 at 1:46 PM
    I am looking to install a downstairs toilet and need to find where the drains lie. How do I do this please?
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    Look for outside manhole covers and existing soil pipes
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 8th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    The water board have plans of what's in the road but not (usually) what is on your land. Where does the soil pipe from the upstairs toilet go? Can you hook into that?
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 8th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ecclesto
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    The upstairs soil pipe goes through the kitchen wall at the back of the house. I have looked for manhole covers but can't see any but the back garden is covered by grass and stones. There are no covers outside the front of the house so I suppose I need to see some sort of plans. Will the water board be able to tell me? To hook up to the existing pipe would mean going underneath the whole of the house.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    The water board are unlikely to have plans. Have any of your neighbours got manholes?
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 8th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ecclesto
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    No none that we can see. I live at the end of a block of 4
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    So someone!!!8217;s buried then under a patio.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    No none that we can see. I live at the end of a block of 4
    Originally posted by ecclesto
    Do the other 3 also have a soil pipe on the back wall? If so it is likely the common sewer runs along the back of the properties.
    Is your new toilet at the front? If so there may not be a drain you can connect to.
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ecclesto
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    No one buried under the patio that I know of! All the soil pipes run down the back wall in the kitchen. There is an alleyway running behind the back gardens but no manhole cover. Would the land registry know?
    • ecclesto
    • By ecclesto 8th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ecclesto
    I would like the toilet at the front of the house.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 8th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 7,919 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    You might be able to locate the drain by getting someone to flush a toilet or fill a basin and unplug it and listen outside for running water.

It would need to be very quiet outside and would probably need a fair bit of luck.

Alternatively, try one of these.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 8th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    I recently put in a downstairs loo/shower room at the front of the house. The bathroom is at the back like yours. There are no manholes or drain covers to be found on any of the houses in the row I am in. I guess in 1905 they didn't think they were necessary.
    I had two plumber/drain experts in who suggested major works involving taking up the concrete kitchen floor costing upwards of 4000+VAT!!! I noticed that at the side of the house there was a rainwater drain from the gutters. The local drainage map revealed that all our waste water went into a combined sewer. We were able to connect from the rainwater drain pipework and run a soil pipe under the floor boards in the house. The fall on the pipe only needs to be very slight 1:40 I think.
    I was concerned that we would hear in the lounge everytime someone flushed as the pipe under the floor but we don't
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 11,931 Thanks
    EachPenny
    No one buried under the patio that I know of! All the soil pipes run down the back wall in the kitchen. There is an alleyway running behind the back gardens but no manhole cover. Would the land registry know?
    Originally posted by ecclesto
    Contact your local council's building control department and ask to see a copy of the BC plans for your home. There may be a charge for this service, so you need to find out the cheapest way of doing it.

BC plans normally indicate where the drainage runs go, but not always.

Manholes are frequently covered by patios, grass or debris. But some properties are connected via a branch that doesn't have any manholes. The BC plans might show you where a manhole was when the house was built or last modified.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Ask a builder. Any decent one will suggest a solution. Forget the Council or the Water Board. They only get involved to approve what your builder does; if the work is minor, lots of builders will quietly ignore the need to involve Council Building Inspectors or the Water Board anyway.

Try to aviod the lazy solution of a Macerator (an electric sh17 mincer)and a pump to sent the shredded poop along a narrow pipe to the nearest soil stack (the big downpipe which your exitsing khazi connects to).

There is almost always a "gravity" solution; so the poop can flow in a wide pipe naturally to the soil stack or sewer..

We once ran a pipe 15metres from the front of the house to the back without problem; you don't need much "fall" for easy flow.

And you'd be surprised how easy a builder will find it to locate the sewers and drains even if they do have to lift the flooring or excavate solid (cement) floors . Ours tok about two days to excavate, move and re-lay the whole subfloor in a former garage to lay new outfalls for a new loo and shower.

Why do the builder's job for her or him?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Ask a builder. Any decent one will suggest a solution. Forget the Council or the Water Board. They only get involved to approve what your builder does; if the work is minor, lots of builders will quietly ignore the need to involve Council Building Inspectors or the Water Board anyway.

Try to aviod the lazy solution of a Macerator (an electric sh17 mincer)and a pump to sent the shredded poop along a narrow pipe to the nearest soil stack (the big downpipe which your exitsing khazi connects to).

There is almost always a "gravity" solution; so the poop can flow in a wide pipe naturally to the soil stack or sewer..

We once ran a pipe 15metres from the front of the house to the back without problem; you don't need much "fall" for easy flow.

And you'd be surprised how easy a builder will find it to locate the sewers and drains even if they do have to lift the flooring or excavate solid (cement) floors . Ours tok about two days to excavate, move and re-lay the whole subfloor in a former garage to lay new outfalls for a new loo and shower.

Why do the builder's job for her or him?
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    Is that your best advice, find a builder who ignores building regs?

I bet you provide your builder with somewhere to tie his horse up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,960Posts Today

8,598Users online

Martin's Twitter