Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Laura327
    • By Laura327 8th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Laura327
    Default confusion
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    Default confusion 8th Apr 18 at 1:42 PM
    I have a default on my credit report from Lowell ( debt bought by them) the default was added 3 months ago and the default amount is £1750 however the actual balance is showing at £5100? Is this charges Lowell have added to the account since the default
    I donít understand why there are two different figures. Can anyone explain this to me please Iím hoping to start a dmp in the next few months
Page 1
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 8th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    It could be from a variety of sources. You don't say what type of debt, but usually a default is applied after you have defaulted on the agreement, e.g. missed few payments. You will get a default amount. The creditor may add fees in trying to recover the debt, this can include a debt collection agency working on their behalf. They could then sell it on and the new legal owner, usually another DCA.
    So it could be what Lowell have added, or what the original creditor incurred. Though a 200% increase in three months sounds a lot.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 15,278 Posts
    • 14,367 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    Lowell do not add fee`s of any kind to debts they buy, in the same vein, creditors do not add debt collection fee`s either.

They are not allowed too, unless the original contract says they can, 95% of simple contract debts do not allow this.

Its pretty simple to explain those figures to you, I would say your total outstanding debt to them is £5100.

The £1750 will be the amount of arrears on the account, at the time the account was bought.

It will just be for information purposes, your total balance is still £5100.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 08-04-2018 at 5:16 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

3,086Users online

Martin's Twitter