Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • millysg1
    • By millysg1 8th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 503Posts
    • 1,668Thanks
    millysg1
    Think Rabbits dying, any advice
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Think Rabbits dying, any advice 8th Apr 18 at 1:02 PM
    So our bunny is 8.5, house rabbit and eats all fresh food but the last few days he hasn!!!8217;t eaten much.

Today he has been dribbling a lot, wet eyes and hiding from us which is very unusual. Breathing fast too. I!!!8217;ve looked this up and it looks like he is on his way out

He is currently hiding under my sons bed, we!!!8217;ve put food under there for him and left him to it as he doesn!!!8217;t seem to want to come out.

Does anyone know anything about rabbits? Should we take him to vets tomorrow if he is still the same? Or will that just over stress him in what might be a pointless trip? It!!!8217;s a half an hour drive each way and he gets very distressed in car rides. Do we take him only if he seems to deteriorate or be in pain etc?

Any advice is welcome is this upsetting time.
    Last edited by millysg1; 08-04-2018 at 1:08 PM.
Page 2
    • pimento
    • By pimento 9th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,548 Posts
    • 7,187 Thanks
    pimento
    Please don't get another pet after this one dies.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    sheramber
    That veterinary nUrse should be reported to the RCVS. She is not entitled to treat the rabbit.

19.1 The purpose of this guidance is to explain the restrictions that apply under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 (!!!8216;the Act!!!8217 to ensure that animals are treated only by those people qualified to do so. These restrictions apply where the !!!8216;treatment!!!8217; is considered to be the practice of !!!8216;veterinary surgery!!!8217;, as defined by the Act.

Section 19 of the Act provides, subject to a number of exceptions, that only registered members of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons may practise veterinary surgery. 'Veterinary surgery' is defined within the Act as follows:

!!!8216;!!!8220;veterinary surgery!!!8221; means the art and science of veterinary surgery and medicine and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, shall be taken to include!!!8212;

a. the diagnosis of diseases in, and injuries to, animals including tests performed on animals for diagnostic purposes;

b. the giving of advice based upon such diagnosis;

c. the medical or surgical treatment of animals; and

d. the performance of surgical operations on animals.!!!8217;

18.4 Under this Schedule 3 exemption, the privilege of giving any medical treatment or carrying out minor surgery, not involving entry into a body cavity, is given to:

Registered veterinary nurses under the direction of their veterinary surgeon employer to animals under their employer's care. The directing veterinary surgeon must be satisfied that the veterinary nurse is qualified to carry out the medical treatment or minor surgery (see paragraph 18.5).

18.5 The RCVS has interpreted these as follows:

'direction' means that the veterinary surgeon instructs the veterinary nurse or student veterinary nurse as to the tasks to be performed, but is not necessarily present.
    'supervision' means that the veterinary surgeon is present on the premises and able to respond to a request for assistance if needed.
    'direct, continuous and personal supervision' means that the veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse is present and giving the student veterinary nurse his/her undivided personal attention.

18.6 A veterinary nurse or student veterinary nurse is not entitled independently to undertake either medical treatment or minor surgery.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 9th Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 10,331 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    That veterinary nUrse should be reported to the RCVS. She is not entitled to treat the rabbit.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    True. If she exists, which I doubt. I don't think the poor rabbit was seen by anybody tbh.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 10th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 4,769 Thanks
    adandem
    OP I really hope you did right by this rabbit and got proper veterinary help, vets make home visits too, that's what we did for our dog when it was his time. The veterinary nurse story doesn't seem legit, they would never have access to prescription meds.
    I personally could never see an animal suffer.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 9,145 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    One of my dogs (a month short of 15) was booked at the vets for pts that afternoon surgery, but he did a poo which made him wee and bleed a little (bowels had not been his problem), then flopped and went to sleep. I wrapped him in his blanket, as my husband was due (he was taking Joly as I couldn't bare to be there)and he slept.

He slept when my husband took him from me and at the vets. He could have 'just died', but we had him pts as who knows what may suddenly happen or whether he was not sleeping but shut away in pain (a risk we were not going to take) ?
  • archived user
    Please please please take your rabbit to a vet or call for advice. Dribbling and wet eyes can be a sign of dental problems which are easily treatable and heavy breathing could just be stress. Please don't let it suffer over something that could be easily treated.
    Originally posted by dottiedotdot
    I'll second that. One of my sons chinchillas had to have dental surgery because he was drooling and had teary eyes.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 2,444 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    What advice can any of us possibly give? You know the rabbit is unwell and probably suffering. Yes a car journey might be stressful but 30 mins in a car either for the bunny to be peacefully put to sleep or given pain relief or antibiotics or treated appropriately beats the poor fella hiding under the bed suffering for days. If an elderly family member stopped eating and was struggling to breath would you just leave them?
    Also interested to know how did your vet nurse friends get painkillers? Did she steal them from the surgery?
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 12th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    The OP has not posted since the 8th. I hope the rabbit is recovering well.
    • dingobingo123
    • By dingobingo123 23rd Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dingobingo123
    I would call the vet
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 24th Apr 18, 12:08 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 3,754 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Personally I think not taking any animal to the vets when it is suffering is cruelty. A nurse should not be giving out painkillers or diagnosing problems. That poor bunny.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,043Posts Today

6,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • One would hope if there were a people's vote, this time we'd have a properly constructed vote, that gave the public? https://t.co/9e5WT51CQz

• I'm getting really confused by people feeling the urgent need to respond to my tweets that all say "this poll isn't? https://t.co/046hq4kZl4

• I've written, published and broadcast on this scores of times. Maybe the easiest explanation is within this? https://t.co/W1MufNrpjS

• Follow Martin