Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 191Posts
    • 53Thanks
    jammerr
    Best travel cards
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    Best travel cards 8th Apr 18 at 12:53 PM
    Hello,

I know there is a handy guide, which I have read but I'm not sure which to choose based on my needs so I thought I'd ask the people that know best:

I'm doing a fair bit of travelling this year, likely mostly credit card spend but I will be using cash too. I'd like to use Apple Pay but not essential. I'd like to check spend on app so something easy to use and 'clean' and fast. From my own research I can see:

Halfiax - Mastercard so better rates? Apple Pay. Cash charge but can pay over internet banking

Tandem - Mastercard. No Apple pay. 0.5% cashback! Charge for cash but can pay on internet.

Barclaycard - Visa so rates slightly worse? Free cash withdrawals (ends in 3 years though)

Whats your experience with these? Cheers
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 32,806 Posts
    • 38,391 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    Creation everyday card , no ATM charges abroad and Halifax clarity card both missing from your list
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 6,722 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    Santander Zero. Same deal as Halifax Clarity, though (at least in my case) ATM withdrawals limited to 300/day. 500 with Clarity.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:13 PM
    Thanks chatty - will take a look as I currently bank with Santander.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    Looks great, thank you. Any idea why this is not listed in the MSE travel section? Can I use Apply Pay? Whats the app like?
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    These cards are great - but Barclaycard charge no interest on withdrawal and the others do! You don't have to pay this off til end of the month. Is worth picking Barclaycard over the others for this reason?

Whats the Creation app like?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3,323 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    Don't rely on any one card when traveling, take several, any card can fail for various reasons or be lost etc.

The Tandem app is rubbish, hopefully will improve. Apart from credit cards there's Starling Bank, Monzo and Loot.io
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 8th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    Don't rely on any one card when traveling, take several, any card can fail for various reasons or be lost etc.

The Tandem app is rubbish, hopefully will improve. Apart from credit cards there's Starling Bank, Monzo and Loot.io
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Hi eDicky, I don't want to order several cards - I don't trust myself with several credit cards hence why I was asking for suggestions
    • dancer75
    • By dancer75 9th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dancer75
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    These cards are great - but Barclaycard charge no interest on withdrawal and the others do! You don't have to pay this off til end of the month. Is worth picking Barclaycard over the others for this reason?

Whats the Creation app like?
    Originally posted by jammerr
    Hi I've just gone through the process of applying for a Barclaycard Travel card and having just called them to activate and double check the details there is no interest free period on cash withdrawals! This was my main reason for applying. There are no transaction fees but it looks like the info on MSE is incorrect.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Dan
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 9th Apr 18, 4:52 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dresdendave
    Hi eDicky, I don't want to order several cards - I don't trust myself with several credit cards hence why I was asking for suggestions
    So what's your back up plan if your one and only card is lost or blocked?
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 9th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    So what's your back up plan if your one and only card is lost or blocked?
    Originally posted by dresdendave
    Fair point. I suppose that way I could get the Barclaycard and Halifax card. Wouldn't this impact my credit score applying for these so close together? I have not long been approved for a re mortgage...
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 9th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 6,722 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    chattychappy
    A couple of searches at the same time will be fine.

But in any case, why let the credit score tail wag the financial dog?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Apr 18, 6:27 AM
    • 3,323 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    eDicky
    The alternatives I suggested are not credit cards and are ideal for travel.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 10th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jammerr
    The alternatives I suggested are not credit cards and are ideal for travel.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    My mistake. I am going to stick with one overseas card (for now) and possibly get the Barclaycard travel one. I have two current accounts so will stick with them for now. I will probably switch to the 'new age' accounts if I'm not happy with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin